Gransnet forums

Travel

Malta or Gozo ?

(30 Posts)
grannypiper Fri 05-May-23 19:31:48

Looking to book for next Septemeber, which one should we choose. We like a wander but not for too long, we love to look round the shops, love having a cuppa and people watching. Not the slightest bit bothered about nightlife as we are asleep by 10. Price wise how far does a euro go ? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Fleurpepper Fri 05-May-23 19:33:05

I would choose Malta, much more to sea, and go for a day visit to Gozo.

Bizziebe Fri 05-May-23 19:45:43

Malta for sure.
Cheaper than UK.
Not keen on their wine. Choose Italian instead.

emmasnan Fri 05-May-23 19:48:59

Malta would be best if you're staying for more than a couple of days. There's something for everyone.

I shall be going with my family very soon.

Marydoll Fri 05-May-23 19:54:24

Malta and Gozo for a day trip. You could do an organised tour of Gozo, that way you would see more.
We used to take the car across to Gozo, but could never get parked in the capital!

GagaJo Fri 05-May-23 20:09:46

Gozo! Less rabble, much more beautiful and tranquil. If that's what you're looking for.

grannypiper Fri 05-May-23 20:22:03

It is such a decision

Callistemon21 Fri 05-May-23 21:18:38

If you want to do nothing much but relax, then Gozo.

We're not at all keen on nightlife but do like sightseeing followed by a day relaxing, so I'd choose Malta with a day trip to Gozo for sightseeing - don't miss the ancient monuments.

Primrose53 Fri 05-May-23 21:58:25

When we went to Malta we took a day trip to Gozo because people said it is so much nicer than Malta. It isn’t!

Callistemon21 Fri 05-May-23 22:06:55

Primrose53

When we went to Malta we took a day trip to Gozo because people said it is so much nicer than Malta. It isn’t!

It is interesting though.
whc.unesco.org/en/list/132/
www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/gozo-m-go-gozo.htm

If you go just for a day, it's best to pre-book a guided tour, there is a lot to see.

Although I suppose it depends on what you find interesting!

Marydoll Fri 05-May-23 22:25:07

I loved Gozo!

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-May-23 23:03:12

I loved Gozo too.
More beautiful (to us) peaceful and a bit wilder - not so much shopping though if ypu like that.
More relaxed.
You could have shopping trip to Malta and a day trip to Comino.

We found some traditional Gozo lace and some beautiful glass there in artisan workshops.
Swimming is mostly off the rocks we found - though there are a couple of sandy beaches - one large one, Ramla Bay with orangey-reddish sand.

crazyH Fri 05-May-23 23:12:24

Malta and trip to Gozo

Cheeseplantmad Fri 05-May-23 23:17:50

Malta is the place to be , lots to see & do there , a day trip to Gozo is fine as not lot sightseeing there , be a bit boring to stay there for week I’d say .

grannypiper Sat 06-May-23 08:33:47

IF you went to Gozo for a week in the past, would you go back ?

tinaf1 Sat 06-May-23 11:11:04

Also Malta and a trip to Gozo hope you have a good time

mrswoo Sat 06-May-23 11:27:48

I would definitely recommend staying on Malta and taking a trip to Gozo. We stayed in Valletta and loved it. Gozo is interesting but a day-trip is probably long enough.

grannypiper Mon 08-May-23 18:29:48

We have had a pow wow and having taken into account GN replies we have voted 5-1 for Malta with a guided tour of Gozo. Thank you all for your help.

Marydoll Mon 08-May-23 19:27:43

I'm sure you will love it. When we first started going, it was like going back in time. The last time we went, we couldn't believe how much it had changed.
So many happy memories ad adventures.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-May-23 09:20:53

grannypiper

IF you went to Gozo for a week in the past, would you go back ?

We went for 2 weeks and yes, I'd go back.
Only for a quiet holiday though - and not for one full of shopping and outings.

FannyD Wed 10-May-23 14:25:13

We went to Gozo some years ago. We always self- cater and there seemed to be a far better selection of villas on Gozo than Malta.

We didn’t hire a car as we were in walking distance to the bus route to Victoria (which is nice), where buses were available to most parts of the island. (The ancient buses and alarmingly carefree drivers did make it a bit hair-raising at times!)

However, after a few days we did find ourselves running out of things to do/places to visit. Is it possible to split your time between the two? In all honesty, if not I would suggest basing yourselves in Malta and taking a day trip to Gozo.

We’re still hoping to go to Malta one day if we can find somewhere to rent.

Linda48 Wed 10-May-23 19:44:03

I'm probably biased because I lived for half of the year on Gozo from 2006 to 2016 with my late husband & we loved it there for the slower pace of life & quaintness. I have lots of friends there & still visit them, but it has changed over the years & overbuilding has taken its toll. It's fine for a relaxing holiday, but if you want excitement & shopping, Malta is probably a better option. I've remarried now & we will be catching up with friends on Gozo in October, but will have a trip over to Malta to see St John's Co- Cathedral in Valletta. If you do visit Gozo, don't miss the Citadel in the capital, Victoria & all the village churches are worth a look. Have fun whatever you decide!

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-May-23 08:49:29

How lovely Linda
Happy days.

grannypiper Mon 15-May-23 17:08:19

Thank you all for your replies. I can't wait but at least i have Gibraltar to look forward to next month.

Patsy70 Fri 02-Jun-23 17:45:29

I much preferred Malta to Gibraltar grannypiper. Enjoy yourselves.