Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Inspector Montalbano

(62 Posts)
gangy5 Fri 13-Apr-12 12:15:08

Have any of you been watching this series on BBC 4 Saturday nights? I should have posted before as I feel that the series could be nearing it's end.
I love it - the inspector is delicious as is the scenery of Sicily where it is set. I find it so refreshingly realistic with storylines that are uncomplicated. Our detetective series produced here are so dark and depressing to watch.
With the juicy detective and the sunshine I feel totally uplifted after viewing.

whitewave Sun 13-Jul-14 21:50:22

Yes I saw the Zen series when it was first shown, and so enjoyed it but now having seen our Sicilian detective I found I like that better.

Deedaa Mon 14-Jul-14 23:17:52

Better scenery whitewave and his legs are sexier grin

Soutra Mon 14-Jul-14 23:40:21

I ADORE Gzido Brunetti!smile and his wife who seems to be able to function as a respected lecturer in English Lit as well as cooking 3 and 4 course meals for her family who all eat at the table together - even the teenage children! What an idyllic lifestyle!

Soutra Mon 14-Jul-14 23:41:09

Of course I meant Guido!

Deedaa Tue 15-Jul-14 21:02:12

Remember Soutra that the Brunettis are going to be lumbered with their children until they are in their mid thirties - especially ith the property prices in Venice. I can't see them letting Paola's father set the children up with houses, it would be right against their principles.
And of course a university lecturer wouldn't work such long hours in Italy.
I adore Guido too, but I'm not sure I could live with a man who spends so much time reading Ancient Greek grin

annodomini Tue 15-Jul-14 22:06:23

I love the Brunetti family. He is the only fictional detective I can think of who doesn't have a dysfunctional family life.

Galen Tue 15-Jul-14 22:41:29

I love Donna Leon's stories.
Perhaps because it's set in my favourite place on earth.
Unfortunately I can't visit it any more as it's definitely NOT DISABLED FRIENDLY.
However I can never forget it as I named darling daughter Venetia.

Stansgran Wed 16-Jul-14 14:45:30

Ah not the Georgette Heyer heroine?

Galen Wed 16-Jul-14 15:45:53

No! Although I have that book as well. Peter OToole's wife is called Venetia as well.

Galen Wed 16-Jul-14 15:47:11

Actually she was supposed to have been conceived in Venice, but it turned out to be her brother and we felt he might prefer a different name.

Deedaa Thu 17-Jul-14 20:41:48

I hobbled round Venice the year before I had my knees done Galen it wasn't too bad on the flat but there were an awful lot of bridges!!! Very glad we went though, there's no where else like it!

Sadly didn't bump into Guido or Vianello in any of the bars sad