Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Big School.

(34 Posts)
Tegan Fri 16-Aug-13 19:59:24

9 o'clock tonight BBC1. David Walliams new comedy. Could be awful [not many good comedies these days] but might just be brilliant. Going to give it a try anyway.

Deedaa Tue 20-Aug-13 23:12:17

One of the great rules of television is the bigger the build up the worse the programme!

KatyK Tue 20-Aug-13 18:45:40

They really built this up in the press. 'The best comedy in years' and 'at last a side splittingly funny sitcom'. Really? I must have missed something.
And I agree about David Walliams.

kittylester Mon 19-Aug-13 10:54:02

I loved Rev.

Am I the only person who loves The Cafe? I'm always sooo disappointed when it ends and I think this week might the last one. It is so gentle and is quite melancholic in parts but then laugh out loud too and it has the other Glenister in it. smile

Tegan Sun 18-Aug-13 21:55:06

All good comedy has to have a touch of melancholy imo.

Deedaa Sun 18-Aug-13 21:44:23

Tom Hollander! I though Rev was lovely Tegan It really made you think about the problems facing a vicar in the modern world, beset on all sides - even by his own church. He's one of those actors that make me watch a programme just because he's in it. I loved him as Mr Collins in Pride and Prejudice smile

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 23:31:28

I think David Walliams is the problem. I'm imagining it with someone like the bloke that was in 'Rev' [now that was good] playing his part.

Deedaa Sat 17-Aug-13 23:23:58

I quite enjoyed it and will give it another go. Loved Frances de la Tour and I'm afraid I thought Philip Glenister was very funny - that'll just be me then blush

mrshat Sat 17-Aug-13 15:19:58

Agree with Harrigran it was toe curling - but Frances de la Tour was worth watching. I wont be watching it again either!

ninathenana Sat 17-Aug-13 14:29:12

yes, we turned to the burrowers it was fascinating.

vegasmags Sat 17-Aug-13 13:22:22

Really glad I watched Chris Packham and the Burrowers instead - it was wonderful grin

Ella46 Sat 17-Aug-13 12:49:44

I agree Mishap, he does seem really weird to me, one of those people who always goes a step too far!

Mishap Sat 17-Aug-13 11:04:05

There's something about Walliams that really gives me the creeps - just looking at him puts me off.

petra Sat 17-Aug-13 11:03:28

Awful. How can you make something so bad with so much talent.

Tegan Sat 17-Aug-13 10:35:13

I thought the bit where she was loading her car with confiscated booze was funny. A bit more subtlety and it could have been good. But then I never liked Little Britain or The Catherine Tate show either. I'll watch it again but not go out of my way to do so; rather wish I'd watched the whole of the Chris Packham programme on the other side; the bit I saw of that looked fascinating.

ninathenana Sat 17-Aug-13 09:54:54

DH said it would either be dross or brilliant. I said dross, he insisted we give it a try. He was the one who turned over after 10mins. Much to my relief.

whenim64 Sat 17-Aug-13 09:00:29

Frances de la Tour made the progamme for me. I could watch her in anything.

feetlebaum Sat 17-Aug-13 08:49:10

Frances de la Tour was, as usual, very much in command, I thought. The Walliams character was a rather tired cliché - a sort of farcical retread of 'Mr Hedges' in Please Sir... Catherine Tate deserves better material (although this was better than her own series). I did like the earnest discussion of what kind of spoon was best for hitting unwanted erections...

A very shaky start - but first episodes are always a problem.

Zengran Sat 17-Aug-13 08:41:20

I agree with Ella46 in that the trailer put me off!

gillybob Sat 17-Aug-13 08:41:07

It was so bad I could hardly bear to watch. Certainly won't be watching it again. I never tire of Mrs Brown Boys either Merlotgran not everyone's cup of tea I know (and definitely not my DH's , who hardly breaks a smile at it) but I find it really funny. grin

glammanana Sat 17-Aug-13 08:31:23

merlotgran oh how I agree with you on that one Phillip Glennister will imo never come over well in this type of programme,he looks sort of out of place ?

Marelli Sat 17-Aug-13 00:03:38

Not impressed, either.

harrigran Fri 16-Aug-13 23:47:29

I will not be watching it again, it was toe curling.

Ella46 Fri 16-Aug-13 23:20:59

I'm afraid the trailer was enough for me.

Hunt Fri 16-Aug-13 23:12:41

I thought it was appalling. Switched off half way through, couldn't stand any more.

merlotgran Fri 16-Aug-13 23:06:17

I hope Phillip Glenister is not going to regret appearing in this.