Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Robin Williams

(16 Posts)
NanKate Wed 13-Aug-14 17:11:14

I can see where you are coming from Jing.

I always feel desperately sad for those left behind, who could feel a mixture of anger, sadness and abandonment.

I feel especially for the person who found him - what a terrible shock.

Having experienced post natal depression twice (which I know is not as bad as a lifetime of depression), I do have sympathy for him.

There are no simple answers to this terrible dilemma.

Penstemmon Wed 13-Aug-14 16:23:43

Both deaths appeared to be covered equally on the radio programmes I have heard today and in the newspaper I read this morning.

Any death, particularly an untimely one, is very sad. Maybe one is more 'shocking' than the other and that is why some media feel it necessary to give more coverage.

Lauren Bacall died aged 89. That is not an unexpected death but still a time for sadness for those who love her and a time of reflection for those of us who enjoyed her performances.

Robin Williams died 'unnaturally' from a possibly preventable illness before his three score years and 10 so his family may grieve differently and those of us who admired his performances may feel shocked in a different way than we were hearing of Lauren Bacall.

I do not think those of us who did not know RW should be judging his actions too harshly. He was a sick man.

Tegan Wed 13-Aug-14 16:21:09

I hadn't realised about Lauren Bacall. What a beautiful, amazing woman she was. As for Robin Williams, it's good that he was so open and honest about his demons. He was a much more public figure than Bacall in recent years so it's no wonder his death has received more air time. Sad to lose both of them.

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 15:44:50

Is air time all that matters?

Ana Wed 13-Aug-14 15:37:05

Oh, for goodness sake, gangy5...hmm

gangy5 Wed 13-Aug-14 15:26:51

Suicide seems to give the media licence to over glorify personalities. Lauren Bacall died yesterday - will she receive as much air time as Robin Williams??
We'll see!! In my view, one deserves more than the other!!!

durhamjen Wed 13-Aug-14 12:30:30

act.sumofus.org/go/5368?t=2&akid=6598.1669823.drqGsQ

Obviously you will agree with the commentator on Fox News, jingl. I do not and have signed the petition.

Nonnie Wed 13-Aug-14 11:30:01

It is possible that some people commit suicide not because they want to die but because they can't cope with living. There is a difference.

WBundecided Wed 13-Aug-14 10:54:21

A very difficult disease, and not helped by people describing his actions as selfish. When you are in the depths, you think you are doing the best thing for your family, by committing suicide you will stop them worrying about you. If one good thing comes out of this tragedy, it will make people more understanding of depression.

Nonu Wed 13-Aug-14 10:52:38

Why are there two threads on Robin Williams??

Just asking

#puzzledofsuffolk!

whitewave Wed 13-Aug-14 10:00:36

Let us hope that his family are helped by those whose understanding of the disease from which Williams was suffering ensure that anger and guilt will never be part of the families emotions. Grief certainly but also fondest and love. His illness made him the character he was and that which they loved.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Aug-14 09:52:27

Suicide is very selfish. His children will be overwhelmed by grief now, but the anger will come, perhaps years later.

And then the anger will in turn bring guilt. Poor kids.

whitewave Wed 13-Aug-14 09:49:44

Presumably he was bi-polar - difficult disease to manage at times.

Penstemmon Wed 13-Aug-14 09:46:32

So many outwardly 'upbeat' people suffer the dark depressions that can control their actions and lives in ways that surprise those that only see the upbeat bits. A sad loss to the world of film and comedy and a far greater loss to his family and friends.

rosesarered Wed 13-Aug-14 09:29:52

Yes, always such a shame to hear about a tormented life.Watched him in Jumanji last night, such an excellent actor.

suebailey1 Wed 13-Aug-14 09:27:23

Wonderful actor who bought joy to millions. So sorry to hear how tormented and depressed he was. RIP flowers