Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Last Night of the Proms Tonight.

(40 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 13-Sep-14 18:53:51

We never miss it but I'll be watching with a lump in my throat as Mum's funeral was last Thursday and the music she loved was a huge part of it.

She loved the Proms and would be furious if I didn't watch it so I'll be waving an invisible flag on her behalf!!

ninathenana Sat 13-Sep-14 19:08:52

Will you be bobbing up and down as well merlot ? grin

Think happy thoughts.

merlotgran Sat 13-Sep-14 19:43:14

wine grin

sparkygran Sat 13-Sep-14 20:08:15

Just go for it Merlotgran and have a few glasses or even a bottle of wine and raise a toast to your Mum as I watch I will think of you

Lona Sat 13-Sep-14 21:37:26

Did you watch last night merlot? It was wonderful.

glammanana Sat 13-Sep-14 21:45:39

I love it,enjoy merlot may God Bless your Mum x wine

Marmight Sat 13-Sep-14 22:32:17

Merlot . I have not had a wifi connection for some time. So sorry to hear about your Mum flowers

merlotgran Sat 13-Sep-14 22:51:01

Thank goodness we don't have neighbours. Nothing like a full on rendition of Land Of Hope and Glory. grin

Shame they dropped 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. It was only included in recent years but I was looking forward to it.

Loved the Finnish conductor. Quite a character!!

durhamjen Sat 13-Sep-14 22:54:33

No fun singing it when there's nobody to tell me to shut up. Although I did sing Jerusalem, just to remind myself of the words.

Roderick Williams has a lovely voice, too Merlot.

merlotgran Sat 13-Sep-14 23:00:58

I thought he was more than a bit easy on the eye as well, durhamjen grin

durhamjen Sat 13-Sep-14 23:22:52

Which one, the singer or the conductor? Both?

merlotgran Sun 14-Sep-14 00:07:34

Oh definitely the singer. Never thought I'd find braces (not the dental kind) sexy. grin

durhamjen Sun 14-Sep-14 00:13:22

I read an interview with him in the Guardian. I think it was Aquascutum he got the braces from, in case you want any for your husband.

durhamjen Sun 14-Sep-14 00:19:40

Apparently he was a music teacher until his wife asked him what his ambitions were when he was 28. He said he'd quite like to be a singer, so he gave up the day job, went to the Guildhall School of Music to train, and now he's been on our televisions, singing just for us.

seasider Sun 14-Sep-14 08:35:26

My DP loves the last night of the proms and I have often wondered how the tickets are allocated. Is it a ballot or do they just go on sale on a certain day like pop concerts?

seasider Sun 14-Sep-14 08:38:29

My DP loves the last night of the proms. I have often wondered how the tickets are allocated. Is it a ballot or do they just go on sale on a certain day like pop concerts?

Iam64 Sun 14-Sep-14 08:59:15

Oh merlotgran - I watched Last Night of the Proms with my mum after my little sisters were put to bed. I've such special, happy memories, we'd sing along, Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory with particular gusto.

suebailey1 Sun 14-Sep-14 09:31:28

merlot I'm sorry for your loss- occasions like the proms and for me British Legion ceremony in the Albert Hall are poignant but also give us the opportunity to remember the good times.

Not sure how much I enjoyed last night -somehow I was thinking about breaking up the United Kingdom (referendum on Friday) and it made me feel very sad that we've come to this debate. Sad to see large events in Wales and Ireland, and London but no Scotland.sad

numberplease Sun 14-Sep-14 18:09:36

I read somewhere that to get tickets for the last night, you need to have attended a set number of the other promenade concerts, not sure how many.

suzied Sun 14-Sep-14 18:17:51

Yes I went to the Last night a few years back. We were super organised that year as one of my sons was in one, so we bought tickets for a few of the proms, can't remember how many, maybe 4 or 5, and applied for the last night and got 2 tickets in a box, and it was my birthday!. Not all the proms are super expensive, you can get cheap tickets especially for the late night ones, and if you want to stand. Same son was in the choir at one of the proms this year and we enjoyed it so much we couldn't remember why we hadn't gone to more this year. You've just got to apply early in the year when the programme comes out.

Mishap Sun 14-Sep-14 19:24:15

I'm half way through watching my recording of the last night and so far it is ll a bit odd - a very strange choice of music for the first half - bitty and unappealing, apart from the Chausson violin Poeme. The R Strauss (who I usually love) is obscure and the tenor is truly appalling - I had my fingers in my ears at one point - it was that bad!! Such a shame as Roderick Williams, the baritone, is pure magic.

I am hoping that things will improve in the second half!

Mishap Sun 14-Sep-14 19:36:00

Well would you believe it? - OH only recorded the first half, so I have missed the good bits! Darn!

rubylady Sun 14-Sep-14 19:56:13

Mishap Get it on i Player. X

absent Sun 14-Sep-14 19:59:31

It was always a ballot for first and last night tickets and I don't think it has changed. Tickets for the rest of the season can be bought in the usual way.

Purpledaffodil Sun 14-Sep-14 20:24:37

We watched it on a large screen as part of a Rotary knees up! Meant that we only saw the jolly second part, but it was fun to sing along and wave flags in a group. I agree about the referendum making it extra poignant SueBailey1. In fact, shamefully there were a few boos every time Scotland was shown sad