Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A film friend for my Gran

(7 Posts)
samanthabee Sat 14-Feb-15 12:46:12

Dear Gransnet people - my lovely Gran is 93 and lonely. She is very bright, able, capable, intelligent, funny and it would be lovely if she could meet some new people. When I saw her on Thursday we were discussing films and she said she would love to go to the cinema but most of her friends have died and those that haven't aren't able to get about easily. Her younger friends are married and tend to go to the cinema with their husbands.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to find her some like minded people to join up with? I live too far away to easily take her out often. I have sent her the DVD of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and would love to find someone for her to go and see the sequel with.
Suggestions gratefully received!
Sam

samanthabee Sat 14-Feb-15 12:51:29

Sorry, I should have said, my Gran lives in Hove!

loopylou Sat 14-Feb-15 13:10:35

I wonder if a local Age Concern volunteer might be able to help?

Tegan Sat 14-Feb-15 14:00:43

Our local independant cinema has a singles night for people that don't have anyone to go to the cinema with; wonder if your gran has a similar cinema near to her? If so there may be someone who would be happy to take her with them. I love the cinema myself and would hate to not be able to go, and do go on my own sometimes. We also have a film club in a nearby town that meets in a hall once a month. Alas I live nowhere near Hove.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Feb-15 14:21:40

Sam it might be worth getting in touch with Contact The Elderly. Just google them.
They mainly organise tea parties in people's houses but you gran might meet someone who could take her out sometimes.
Good luck - you sound very caring.

rubylady Sun 15-Feb-15 01:31:36

Have a look on Meetup for her, great people and there are groups who like to go to the cinema or for a coffee and nothing too strenuous, I know, because I am in the group in my area. smile

samanthabee Mon 16-Feb-15 20:51:45

Thank you for your comments and ideas. I will see what we can come up with and let you know. If anyone else has ideas, keep them coming!