Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Results of TV study

(33 Posts)
apricot Thu 16-Apr-15 19:58:11

Just over a year ago I was given a television and I've carried out an in-depth intensive study of my viewing habits.
I look at what's on in the guide which comes with Saturday's Guardian and about once per fortnight I switch on the television. The only thing I really would have cared about missing was Wolf Hall.
I've paid £150-odd for a year's licence to enjoy six hours of broadcasting. I can see why fewer and fewer people watch television at all, or pay no licence fee and watch later.
So I'm cancelling my licence and putting the television under the stairs. Granddaughter can watch CBBCs on my computer.

Eloethan Sat 18-Apr-15 00:05:02

Ana The American website All About Vision states:

"Many pediatric eye doctors believe that heavy computer use among children puts them at risk for early myopia. Recent research appears to confirm that fear.

"A large study conducted by the National Eye Institute and published in the December 2009 issue of Archives of Ophthalmology found that the prevalence of nearsightedness among Americans has increased from 25 percent to 41.6 percent of the population over the past 30 years — an increase of more than 66 percent.

"Also, among people with 12 or more years of formal education, the prevalence of myopia is now as high as 59.8 percent.

"Sitting for hours in front of a computer screen stresses a child's eyes because the computer forces the child's vision system to focus and strain a lot more than any other task. This can put children at an even greater risk than adults for developing symptoms of computer vision syndrome."

Given that all areas of employment and leisure are now heavily dependent on computers, it would be a massive inconvenience - and expense -if screens were found to damage eyesight.

harrigran Fri 17-Apr-15 23:25:16

DS works as a computer programmer and gets eye tests.

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 23:21:35

computer screens are said to be very bad for the eyes - especially for children.

That's the part of your post I was querying, Eloethan, and I'm still none the wiser as to where your information came from.

If it's true that watching computers is very bad for children's eyes, I'd have thought it would have been more widely publicised, that's all.

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 23:18:25

www.nhs.uk/livewell/eyehealth/pages/eyesafety.aspx

It can make existing eye problems worse.

Eloethan Fri 17-Apr-15 23:14:12

The firm that I worked for offered yearly eye tests and a contribution towards glasses.

Vision Express's website states:

" The legal requirements
Free eyesight tests must be provided for “users” on their request or where there is visual difficulty in carrying out display screen work – the tests must be repeated at appropriate intervals, i.e. every two years or as advised by an optician. Where glasses or other corrective appliances are necessary the employer must provide those free of charge, but only to the extent of the cost of basic frames and the lens prescription necessary to do the display screen work.
Who is entitled to eye and eyesight tests?
The DSE Regulations were designed to protect employees and self-employed people who habitually use display screen equipment as a significant part of their normal work"

News Medical website states:

"People who look at computers frequently, (in particular those that look at a computer for more than three hours a day), may experience symptoms such as:

Eye discomfort
Headaches
Itchy eyes
Dry or watering eyes
Burning sensations
Changes in color perception
Blurred vision
Difficulty focussing

"Eyestrain is a type of repetitive strain injury (RSI) that is caused by insufficient rest periods, incorrect working conditions and so forth."

I doubt that it would be possible to prove that looking at computer screens can permanently damage eyesight - and I would think there would be little appetite to do so. Imagine the amount of compensation that might have to be paid out to workers who spend many hours on computers.

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 22:31:34

I have no idea if there is evidence or not.
But I cant see that many organisations, both public and private, offer free yearly eye tests for no reason.

I will look for evidence on sunday.

durhamjen Fri 17-Apr-15 22:24:15

Actually, apricot, I do not watch much television, but I do listen to it a lot.
I'm listening to it now, on 130, the news channel. I do not need to watch.
But at 40p a day, I find it invaluable.
I agree I could just listen to the radio, if that's all I do, but I cannot record the radio, whereas I can record programmes I want to watch again.
My sister worked on computers for the Post Office, and had eyetests every year, and vouchers towards glasses. She left when it was privatised. I doubt whether the union is as strong now. Do Post Office workers still get free eye tests?

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 22:15:31

I worked for many years using a computer and was never offered an eye test!

I'm open to evidence that such damage is likely - please provide it if you can find it.

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 21:54:14

I haven't read any evidence that states computer screens are very bad for anyone's eyes, Eloethan. If you watched one all day long it may cause eyestrain and/or dry eyes but not permanent damage

People who do a lot of work on computers for their job, are normally offered yearly eyetests.
I presume it is because of possible damage to eyes.

apricot Fri 17-Apr-15 19:10:05

I didn't say there was nothing worth watching, just that I've watched very little. The "survey" was supposed to be funny.
I've put the TV out of sight because it's ugly, not because I'm afraid of prosecution. I'll get it out when I'm 75 and no longer need a licence.
I listen to the radio and get far more information and enjoyment from that than from the TV.
I know many people who say they never watch television but go on paying the licence fee. I can't afford to pay for anything I don't use.

whitewave Fri 17-Apr-15 18:32:57

Yes saw that - might record it. Gardeners World for me is a must. Been watching it for ever. Borde Hill Gardens is just up the road from us.

Tegan Fri 17-Apr-15 18:30:44

How to make a number one record on BBC4 tonight looks good.

whitewave Fri 17-Apr-15 18:18:57

My TV viewing is wide and varied and often leads to further investigation for example I have just read an biography entitled Richard 111 as a result of various programmes I have watched lately. I am also interested in the various art stuff and have been dipping into the Italian Rennaisance (can't spell). On the other hand I watch a lot of drama, I like comedy, and shear rubbish sometimes, it all depends on the mood I am in. There are other times when the TV doesn't go on at all and I am busy doing other stuff. The radio is good too, I think you should make use of everything to hand and enjoy!!

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 18:01:32

I haven't read any evidence that states computer screens are very bad for anyone's eyes, Eloethan. If you watched one all day long it may cause eyestrain and/or dry eyes but not permanent damage.

I wouldn't want to watch tv programmes on a computer though, much prefer the TV.

Eloethan Fri 17-Apr-15 17:47:14

The TV licence costs around 40p per day - which I think is pretty good value.

I can't understand why you say there is very little on that is worth watching. Admittedly there is a lot of rubbish - but in my opinion there are also some good programmes, including dramas such as Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax and Line of Duty - together with light entertainment and the news and current affairs programmes.

I wouldn't want to peer at a small screen to watch these programmes, and I wouldn't want my grandchildren having to access CCBC that way either - computer screens are said to be very bad for the eyes - especially for children.

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 17:10:04

From the TV Licensing website:

'If you use a laptop to watch television programmes as they are being shown on TV then by law you need a TV Licence. If you use a laptop to view television programmes after they are shown on TV – for example by downloading programmes or via streaming on-demand – then you don’t need a Licence.'

feetlebaum Fri 17-Apr-15 16:52:01

@Tegan - No I don't think there is any need for a licence to run a radio receiving station. However, if I had no TV Licence I would be chary of watching TV on computer - it surely must qualify as a receiving station? Anybody know the legal position?

Apart from all that, I find there is less TV that attracts me as time passes. I've no interest in soaps, ballroom dancing, 'talent' contests, sword and sorcery drama or sport in general... which is more or less the diet i am offered on the many channels I can receive.

Roll on Doctor Who! Meanwhile, there are repeats of The Avengers on Sky 184...

Tegan Fri 17-Apr-15 16:51:17

I know my DD and SIL only tend to watch either films or stuff on Netflix etc although the children watch CBB's. If I mention anything I've seen on the telly they don't know what I'm talking about [notevenwatchingpoldark shock]....

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 16:05:56

Not meaning myself by the way! I still watch a lot of tv!

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 16:04:58

I used to think that it was perhaps snobby not to watch tv.
But I am coming across an increasing number of households[normally very bright households indeed I have to say] who only watch the very occasional tv programme.
I dont think that apricot is at all alone in this.

Mishap Thu 16-Apr-15 22:26:53

Don't be afraid - be proud!

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 22:23:27

Our life would be very dull without the TV.

DH would not be able to announce with glee that there's a bloody important football match on most of the evening. angry

He wouldn't be able to hog the remote control - or 'Onny Offy' as he calls it.

We wouldn't be able to shout 'What a load of crap rubbish' at most reality TV shows and then argue over what we're going to watch instead.

And Millie mummy dog wouldn't be able to hurl herself at the screen every time she sees a dog/cat/sheep/horse/fox/Nigel Farage.

Can't live without it I'm afraid.

Tegan Thu 16-Apr-15 22:11:33

.....don't you have to have a tv licence to listen to the radio?

Tegan Thu 16-Apr-15 22:10:34

I went into panic mode last night because the telly in my living room stopped working which means I couldn't watch i player etc. I have BBC4 on most evenings and there are fantastic films on Film4. Not to mention Poldark [be still my beating heart; sigh]. I must admit to browsing through the tv schedules sometimes and seing nothing that I want to watch but then find something on an obscure channel whilst channel hopping [Yesterday is particularly good]. And Ch4 catchup now has 'box sets' of old favourites such as Black Books etc. [my tv was ok in the end but there was a loose scart connection....]

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 22:05:52

How can a study be 'in depth' if you only watch it once a fortnight? confused