Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ballot Monkeys

(42 Posts)
Teetime Thu 23-Apr-15 09:57:43

Has anyone seen this yet - the first one was this week? A satirical take on what might be happening on the various par battle wagons. It seems to have quite an impressive cast of comedians and comedy actors. I enjoyed it - a nice antidote to all this election coverage.

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 10:05:11

Appealed to my sense of humour - very funny.

Jane10 Thu 23-Apr-15 10:54:34

I watched it somewhat unwillingly as I've got election fatigue but found it very funny. A good antidote to electionitis!

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 10:55:32

What channel is it on? I've been watching that new Spitting Image type programme and don't quite know what to make of it. Some of it is very cleverly writand funny, but some of it I find very distasteful [and I don't think I'm particulary prudish]. I've only just noticed that a lot of tv programmes are sponsored by companies; I knew that gogglebox was and I still love that but there's another new 'comedy' about a male midwife that I find cringeworthy [it was on last night]. Maybe I'm just getting old in my tastes?

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 10:56:09

...written..[typo]

Teetime Thu 23-Apr-15 10:57:12

I haven't seen those two Tegan but I have a free afternoon today so I will trawl the I-players.

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 11:10:34

You may have to stick with the Spitting Image one as the sketch that I find particulary distasteful is on at the beginning and the one I find funny [with Boris Johnson] is on at the end. I'd love to have your opinion on it.

POGS Thu 23-Apr-15 11:50:03

It's called Newzoids on ITV Tegan..

It was Spitting Images on speed, fairly balanced I thought although I agree it was a bit tasteless in parts but I guess that's satire for you.

I taped Ballot Monkeys on ch4 last night so will watch it later.

I usually enjoy these type of progs. as long as there is an even balance of satire, not always the case sadly and then it just feels like political spin manipulation.

I enjoyed the BBC program on the goings on between Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dems during the formation of the coalition government. Did anybody watch that? I struggled with Peter Mandleson being played by the vet in The League of Gentlemen though. grin. It was supposedly as factual as possible, if it was it was interesting to see the back room shinanegins that we all know must go on. I'll slap your back I'll slap yours.

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 12:26:59

I don't like the sketch about Prince George [and I'm not a Royalist] but loved the Prince Philip, Jeremy Clarkson one. Some of it is a bit Beavis and Butthead'ish. Oh, and there was one sketch involving urine shock which made me feel sick [as did the Little Britain ones that were like that].

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 13:15:02

Watched Newzoids for about 10 minutes, far too much swearing and not funny, off my "to watch" list.

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 13:20:02

Some of it is good, pompa. but I'm not sure that I want to sit through the bad stuff to get to it. I'm not sure if they know what audience they are aiming at, a lot of the humour being rather juvenile and lavatorial..but then, as I say, some of it is clever confused.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 14:43:09

Ballot Monkeys was really funny, we enjoyed it, none of the parties come out well!

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 20:35:49

Yes, I watched it this afternoon and loved it. But must point out that the horses that fell in the race that Foinavon won did NOT die, and he was 100/1 not 300/1.Also relieved that someone else thinks that Nicola Sturgeon looks like Little Jimmy Crankie. In fact, I'm going to watch it again. Reminds me of that Peter Capaldi comedy about Parliament [forgot what it's called]. The one where he swore a lot...

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 20:38:22

The Thick Of It. Which was brilliant!

Tegan Thu 23-Apr-15 21:30:22

That's the one...

Tegan Fri 24-Apr-15 19:54:06

Just rewatched it with the S.O. it's just as funny the second time grin.

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 19:57:37

Now that you have said that..... I think I will watch it again too.With a cup of coffee and possibly a Hob Nob!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 19:59:06

Did anyone watch W1a the other night? very funny.

Pittcity Fri 24-Apr-15 20:27:23

I love W1A. I can imagine it being near the truth.

Tegan Fri 24-Apr-15 20:46:26

I never saw that but, having seen trailers for it I figured that Ballot Monkeys was similar. Not much on tonight so I'll watch it on catchup.

Deedaa Fri 24-Apr-15 21:14:38

I loved all the panic stricken phone calls trying to keep everyone on message. (Even the politics speak is catching!)

Tegan Fri 24-Apr-15 21:26:24

And when they said the tour bus had been used by Tony Blair...but. it's ok it's been exorcised. I keep thinking about bits of it that make me laugh out loud smile.

rosesarered Tue 28-Apr-15 22:17:22

Have recorded the second episode, so am just off to watch it now, it's 15 minutes in, so I can whizz the adverts on.

Soutra Tue 28-Apr-15 22:20:26

I am enjoying this! Cynical, moi? grin

Ana Tue 28-Apr-15 22:31:05

Just watched this - so funny! grin