Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio Presenters

(32 Posts)
Skip277 Sun 22-May-16 15:22:24

My Sunday afternoon ruined yet again by that obscene so-called laugh of Elaine Paige. Just because she worked in musicals doesnt qualify her as a radio presenter. How can the BBC retain such irritating individuals as her in company with Steve Wright whose shouty voice and finishing off songs beggars belief.

The BBC drags off the street anything and everything in the name of broadcasting. Professional presenters like David Jacobs, Terry Wogan and even Bunty must have wept for their profession The BBC has not even attempted to replace them with like for like. We are left with shouty exhibitionists like Chris Evans. It's a sad time for radio.

Pittcity Sun 22-May-16 19:47:34

Ken Bruce and Lyn Bowles...fabulous. Anyone any good at Popmaster?

Gemmag Sun 22-May-16 19:41:50

Hannahlois. No, not the same Mat. Don't know Mat Williams as I don't tend to listen to afternoon radio.

specki4eyes Sun 22-May-16 19:18:34

The last time I was in the UK I heard this creaky old voice on Radio 2 - no disrespect here but it turned out to be Brian Matthew ....who was on when I was a teenager and I'm 69 now! I mean, really!! Put the poor old thing in The Home with the rest of us!

Chris Evans - switch it off; Vanessa Feltz - switch it off; Liza Tarbuck - off off; and as for Elaine Paige - dont even hover near the radio, it might be contagious! She is an absolutely appalling presenter; wooden voice reading parrot fashion from a dire script. And the laugh - just vulgar.

Graham Norton is great; I like Jeremy Vine's enthusiasm; Ken Bruce is ok but a jobsworth IMHO. My absolute favourite is/was Johnny Walker - is he still on?

I just despair of the BBC - except of course for Radio 4 which, if it wasn't for their dreadful afternoon plays, would keep me interested all day long.

TriciaF Sun 22-May-16 19:08:38

Also LBC James O'Brien.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 22-May-16 19:03:54

Gemmag I think his name is Matt Williams, he does the sport on Simon Mayo and chips in on the confession spot. Just love his voice and laugh. I've never thought him full of himself. Are we thinking of the same person?
Love Graham Norton too, especially the Grill Graham spot.

TriciaF Sun 22-May-16 19:03:00

gettingonabit - I like Jazzfm too, especially on now - David Freeman Blues and Boogie.
Also in the mornings, Today, and especially Nick Robinson - he's been fighting throat cancer and seems to have got his voice back.

Gemmag Sun 22-May-16 18:52:17

Thank you Ana. Vanessa Feltz, she's excellent too.

Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 18:50:19

I agree -Graham Norton's Saturday show makes my drive to the big shop bearable. In fact I deliberately dawdle to draw it out. Apologies to irritated motorists behind me!

Gemmag Sun 22-May-16 18:49:52

Hannahlois. Surely not Matt D. Dreadful man so up his own b---side?.

aquagran Sun 22-May-16 18:49:21

Love Graham Norton.

Ana Sun 22-May-16 18:47:19

It's Vanessa Feltz, not Phelps.

Gemmag Sun 22-May-16 18:44:15

I can't believe that anyone actually likes boring Jeremy Vine and he gets paid £800.000 a year for his radio 2 programme and eggheads!.???. Vanessa Phelps, someone with a brain who should be given the job full time. What a shocking waste of tax payers money. Vine is just one of many who get paid enormous saleries. Chris Evens earns more that 1m a year and what a noise he is. Not one radio presenter I can think of deserves this kind of money.

chelseababy Sun 22-May-16 18:36:20

Graham Norton anyone?

Indinana Sun 22-May-16 18:30:57

I miss Terry Wogan - I could have listened to him all day as well. I like Steve Wright, but dislike Chris Evans intensely. Paul O'Grady and Ken Bruce are also favourites and I quite like Jeremy Vine.

Kittye Sun 22-May-16 18:27:16

Oh no! Just noticed hannahloisluke remark about the sports person... He's the one person I can't stand on the show another full of himself.

Kittye Sun 22-May-16 18:18:05

Love Elaine Page ! Her laugh has DH and myself in stitches, she's really goofy.
Faves include Paul O'Grady, Simon Mayo and Ken Bruce. Not keen on Chris Evans or Steve Wright. Like Liza Tarbuck and Vanessa Feltz. Was never that keen on Terry Wogan, always seemed full of himself to me. What about the lovely Michael Ball? He's got to be my favourite wink

FarNorth Sun 22-May-16 17:55:11

I always switched off if I heard Terry Wogan's voice, or Jimmy Young's except for once or twice when I wanted to hear the person he was interviewing.

NanKate Sun 22-May-16 17:35:02

Chris Mason, brilliant.

NanKate Sun 22-May-16 17:33:24

Yes I agree with most of your comments. The presenters nowadays seem to work to the lowest common denominator.

I agree Alima about missing Tony Blackburn. I support him on Facebook Tony Blackburn Supporters Group. He comes on occasionally to tell us his solicitors are working hard on his behalf. We are hoping that he gets a ruling that he was unfairly dismissed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him back.

Badenkate I too loved Kenny Everitt.

Now I will need your help here with a name, I think he is fab and so funny. Chris someone who is one of our main political commentators. He makes politics bearable.

Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 17:22:02

Oh no I can't stand Jeremy Vine and hate it when Zoe Ball stands in! Just goes to prove how different we all are.
Terry Wogan though... There was someone I'd listen to all day. Still sadly missed.

Badenkate Sun 22-May-16 17:13:05

I still miss Kenny Everett sad

Alima Sun 22-May-16 17:11:01

Oh no, moan coming up. Jeremy Vine is the only BBC presenter I can listen to although I also like Zoe Ball but she just seems to cover holidays. Hate Chris Evans, there is no humour there just shouty shouty. I miss Terry Wogan terribly as his programme was so funny. I really miss Tony Blackburn too, love the music he plays. Damn the BBC for sacking him. Ken Bruce isn't too bad but his show interrupts the music with the quiz and interviews. Thank heavens for Gold and CDs. Is Absolute only on Sky? Need to find a station that plays a decent mix, preferably without adverts.

morethan2 Sun 22-May-16 16:55:50

I still miss Terry Wogan sad I loved Sarah Kennendy too, is she still broadcasting? I listen to heart in the morning but hate the two presenters, their banal boring chatter they go on and on. I think " shut up and just play records and give me the weather and news"

gettingonabit Sun 22-May-16 16:50:11

I've just discovered Absolute on Sky. No presenters, just fab music throughout the day.

Also love Jazz FM (but dislike the ads).

I'm not sure what presenters add to a programme, reallyhmm.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 22-May-16 16:47:54

I can't stand that Vanessa Phelps they've got on instead of Sarah Kennedy. Grrr!