Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TTFN JY

(35 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 08-Nov-16 07:39:44

Sad news that Jimmy Young has died at the grand age of 95. RIP JY

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 07:43:41

Oddly enough some of us were just talking sbout him last weekend and wondering if he was still alive

Sad news sad

glammanana Tue 08-Nov-16 08:20:17

RIP Jimmy Young I can never imagine him being 95yrs old though such a good age.

Christinefrance Tue 08-Nov-16 08:24:27

I remember so well the banter between JY and Terry Wogan made mornings much more fun.
The mobile commode was funny and JY going 'sur le Continong '.
Many happy memories of both Jimmy & Terry.

ninathenana Tue 08-Nov-16 08:36:52

I was never a fan but he will be missed by many.
RIP Jimmy

annsixty Tue 08-Nov-16 09:33:16

This news has brought back such very happy memories. 52 years ago two former colleagues and I were all pregnant, one with her second child and 2 of us with our first.
After the babies were born and routines established we visited each other once a month for lunch. We decided to always try something from the JY programme's cookery slot, "What's the recipe today Jim?".
We had some interesting meals and some very happy times, a wonderful time of my life.

Stansgran Tue 08-Nov-16 11:12:26

I still make jimmy Young's breakfast cookies. Very sad when he was given the boot

Yorkshiregel Tue 08-Nov-16 11:16:21

I remember living in Norway and listening to Jimmy Young and also Terry Wogan. They kept me sane and stopped me being lonely. RIP both of you. Thanks for all the fun and laughter. Hope I live to that age or more!

Yorkshiregel Tue 08-Nov-16 11:17:17

What's the recipe today Jim?

MTDancer Tue 08-Nov-16 11:18:06

My husband pretty much stopped listening to Radio 2 when Jimmy retired. I know he lived in Florida for many years. I really used to enjoy listening to him, and Terry, of course. He will be sadly missed but at least he had a good innings and died peacefully at home with his family around him

GrannyMosh Tue 08-Nov-16 11:28:28

Surely it was "BFN......Byyyyyye for now!" ?

Larsonsmum Tue 08-Nov-16 11:33:41

GrannyMosh is correct - it is a myth he said TTFN. Jimmy said BFN - Bye For Now. He was a terrific presenter, and I remember him so fondly from my childhood. I'll be honest, as I have been with Jeremy Vine himself - I didn't think anyone could replace the great JY, but JV has done a super job of taking over a great show format.

Legs55 Tue 08-Nov-16 11:54:11

sad news - loved listening to him sad

Funnygran Tue 08-Nov-16 11:57:08

When my first baby was born in 1975 we lived in a large chilly flat and had just moved miles away from family and friends. I used to sit by the fire every morning feeding her and listening to the banter between JY and Wogan before the handover. Jimmy's show was so interesting and funny at times. RIP to a lovely man.

luluaugust Tue 08-Nov-16 11:59:50

He and Terry got me through the housework specially washing the floors, thats in the days when I got down on my hands and knees and did it properly! Perhaps they should bring back Recipe for the day might help with the obesity epidemic and save us all having to think what to cook every day.

Veda Tue 08-Nov-16 12:12:36

Lovely lovely man & Terry Wogan. What's going on in Heaven now I wonder?!

sunseeker Tue 08-Nov-16 12:22:39

I think he was so popular because he didn't consider himself more important than the guests, always giving them an opportunity to answer questions. Too many of today's presenters consider their views more important and are continually interrupting those they are supposed to be interviewing.

Direne3 Tue 08-Nov-16 12:40:47

I remember a song he recorded in the late 50's (for Columbia, I think) called 'Woman at the well' - I'd just started working in a record shop. Don't recall that Wogan ever picked up on that when their radio programmes were running. Like many of you I was very fond of their banter and Wogan's interaction with his 'listener' gave me so much joy - even with Terry's later TV fame I don't feel that, that was ever surpassed.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 08-Nov-16 12:57:29

I too loved listening to the JY Show and was very miffed with the BBC when they retired him. He didn't want to leave and the listeners didn't want to lose him. Even politicians were lobbying to keep him on the show.
I've never forgiven the Beeb for that. RIP Sir Jim.

ggmarion Tue 08-Nov-16 13:16:32

I remember him first as a singer in the 50s -" I Love you more each day, much more than words can say,and the more I know of you ....." I can remember singing this song listening to the gramaphone. A lovely man.

Anya Tue 08-Nov-16 13:37:45

Just a quick query about the thread title the FN ( for now) part of thevTTFN ...? hmm

rosesarered Tue 08-Nov-16 13:43:35

He and Terry Wogan both gone now, sadly.They worked well together and made me laugh when times were very hard for me.

GrannyO Tue 08-Nov-16 15:07:19

He and Terry were the best of British

Jayh Tue 08-Nov-16 16:07:47

I loved the morning handovers between Jim and Terry. I was at home with my new baby, feeling a bit isolated, and they always made me laugh.
BFN JY

holcott48 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:09:23

He always interviewed Tony di Angeli on Thursdays (editor of 'The Grocer' at the time) and in March 1975 I was pleased to return from hospital with my 10 day old baby just in time to hear them!!!