Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TTFN JY

(36 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 08-Nov-16 07:39:44

Sad news that Jimmy Young has died at the grand age of 95. RIP JY

sara4 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:56:36

Wasn't TTFN from Tommy Handley and ITMA?

Christinefrance Tue 08-Nov-16 16:58:17

So many happy memories. It took me a long time to forgive Jeremy Vine for ousting JY.

callgirl1 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:14:37

Jimmy Young was one of my favourite singers for many a year. No matter how many versions of Unchained Melody there have been, I`ve always said that his was the best. R.I.P Sir Jim.

Jalima Tue 08-Nov-16 17:29:07

He always interviewed Tony di Angeli on Thursdays (editor of 'The Grocer' at the time)
I always remember Tony saying that he hated parsnips!!

Farewell Jimmy Young, a son of the Forest
sad

Jalima Tue 08-Nov-16 17:36:37

And, as he would say himself:

Orf we jolly well go!

1974cookie Tue 08-Nov-16 17:59:06

I loved listening to the Jimmy Young Show in the 70's, especially the recipes which were sent in by listeners.
"What's the recipe today Jim".
In fact I still have a Jimmy Young cookbook that someone bought for me in 1972 which has been well used over the years and lists recipes entitled:

'Clare and Mo's onion special'.
'End of week Supper' ( when all that is left in the house is bread and cheese).
'Duncan's Dateloaf'.
'Welsh' Moussaka.

So Jim, TTFN, and Thank You for the lovely memories.?

Skweek1 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:09:02

Funnily enough I was thinking about him the other day and wondering if he was still with him.

jordana Tue 08-Nov-16 23:37:03

At least he had a good "innings" and lasted till 95. My 2 daughters were toddlers when he first came on radio as a drafter he was known as a singer. I read once while he was being interviewed that a psychic told him he would have a long second career. That turned out to be true. I think he passed peacefully as no word if he had been ill. I wonder how bruce forsyth is doing these days and also des o'connnor

jordana Tue 08-Nov-16 23:39:04

Sorry that should have been dj although I'm sure he was a grafter too!☺

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 12:22:31

He was one of those we come to respect as simply being 'a gentleman', a nice person, a people person. Some folk just do not know how to be any of those things.

Did anybody we the Sky News Press Preview on the day he died? Kevin McQuire from the Daily Mirror was so flipping snide, Ill - natured about him and I couldn't understand why.