Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Loch

(95 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 12-Jun-17 05:32:47

Anyone started this? And what do you think ? A tad gory for just one episode?

Luckygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 06:51:41

Not impressed - it is too far-fetched. Will be sticking to Poldark from now on.

ninathenana Mon 12-Jun-17 07:40:34

It has potential but not totally convinced yet. It took me a while to work out whos who. What we saw at the very end explained the overall plot a little I think

ninathenana Mon 12-Jun-17 07:45:36

Luckygirl why far fetched ? Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I'm just curious what you found far fetched about it. After all, there are some pretty weird and evil people out there.

Luckygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 07:46:57

Yes - but would someone pull another person's brains out through their nose while they were still alive (I should think you'd be dead pretty smartly!) or cut a hole on someone's chest and take their heart out (a big round hole, rather than an incision)? It is all too silly for words.

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Jun-17 07:55:54

Plenty of gore in the offing. It looks as if it may develop into a very long episode of a very gory Midsommer Murders with bodies galore with a big helping of Silent Witness thrown in.

Anya Mon 12-Jun-17 08:05:58

What happened to 'the willing suspension of disbelief'?

Greyduster Mon 12-Jun-17 09:05:02

Good God! I'm not sure I want to watch it now if it's that gory!!

ninathenana Mon 12-Jun-17 09:20:12

Greyduster the brains were only talked about you didn't see anything. As for the heart it was a corps with a cavity nothing that hasn't been seen before. That's coming from someone who can't watch Ripper St.

Eloethan Mon 12-Jun-17 09:36:03

I've recorded this but don't think I'll bother - it sounds horrible.

I think A Handmaid's Tale is quite depressing enough for one night - at least it has an important message to it.

NotTooOld Mon 12-Jun-17 09:40:28

Actually we did see the brain in a dish, nina. Perhaps you missed that bit and I don't blame you if you were looking away! My problem was that I could not always hear what was going on, particularly if it was going on in a Scottish accent. Was it just me? I know my hearing is not of the best.

Nandalot Mon 12-Jun-17 09:40:29

Having started to watch 'Cardinal' and then being unable to watch it because of the torture scenes, I found 'The Loch' almost light relief! I shut my eyes at the beach scenes and the rest of the 'gore' was mainly just talked about. Like Nina!it took me a while to work out who was who but I am keen to watch the next episode.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Jun-17 09:40:36

I think I get what lucky girl meant because in one episode we saw a body weighted down in the water which later showed the heart cut out, a body which had had the brains removed (we re told) and a comotose patient opening his eyes wide in some kind of horror plus teenagers including the police womans daughter using blood, bones and guts to stage a Loch Ness monsters death and destruction. It was quite a lot for one small community and an hours episode Talk about jump in at the deep end
I will keep watching I wonder how many bodies next week?

Nandalot Mon 12-Jun-17 09:41:09

Exclamation mark after Nina is a typo.

Charleygirl Mon 12-Jun-17 09:45:01

I also recorded it- sounds as though my book is a better option.

jusnoneed Mon 12-Jun-17 11:25:25

It did seem rather excessive way to get the thing started, makes you wonder what the next episode will be revealing.
I might watch part two - depends what else is on.

grumppa Mon 12-Jun-17 11:51:56

Brains out through the nose, heart removed: it's going to be either The MacMummy or MacFrankenstein.

ninathenana Mon 12-Jun-17 16:39:29

grumppa I knew I'd read about the brain extraction somewhere. Of course, doh, mummification

Christinefrance Mon 12-Jun-17 17:24:40

I will reserve judgement until I have seen episode 2. Quite like a bit of gore etc. Love Ripper St. Not a Poldark fan, obviously my choices say something about me smile

callgirl1 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:06:14

Daughter and I watched it, at the end we both said that we just weren`t "getting it". Not sure if we`ll watch next week or not yet.

paddyann Mon 12-Jun-17 19:25:55

Nottoold aren't you lucky they decided Scottish police weren't capable of solving the crime and drafted in a couple of English accents to do it for them.....shame that, because I can understand the Scottish accents perfectly...but some of those english ones are pure torture .

Ana Mon 12-Jun-17 20:11:18

well at least Siobhan Finneran isn't using her usual Lancashire accent Paddyann - you might find that even more difficult...

Auntieflo Mon 12-Jun-17 21:06:39

NotTooOld, I also had trouble with the Scottish accent, perhaps I shall have to use sub-titles next time. My post re this has disappeared into the ether. The brain in the pathology dish though, looked remarkably intact. If it had been pulled out through his nose, wouldn't it have been in bits?

grannypiper Mon 12-Jun-17 21:22:48

Not sure about this programme but will give it one more chance next week. The sound quality is awful, the volume on my t.v normally sits between 12 and 15 with this show i had to have it at 26.

Christinefrance Mon 12-Jun-17 21:37:34

Yes I noticed that too grannypiper, really annoying.