Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Keeping Faith

(244 Posts)
NanKate Sat 03-Mar-18 21:04:55

Just found this mystery series 8 episodes on the BBC IPlayer. All set in Wales and from BBC Wales. Seen the first two episodes which I thoroughly enjoyed. Just wish the whole series was ready to watch.

Pittcity Sun 08-Apr-18 07:46:09

It seemed to me that the husband was easily manipulated by the "baddies. I don't think I would turn and run into his arms except as feigned affection for the sake of the children.

Lynnebo Sun 08-Apr-18 10:16:38

Husband definitely a CF, turning up again when Faith had gone through hell sorting all his shit out!
How long would SS monitor the family? Are you on their books forever if they have been involved once?
Looking forward to series 2.

Juggernaut Sun 08-Apr-18 10:45:36

The actor playing Steve Baldini is Mark Lewis Jones, his character in 'Stella' was named Rob Morgan!
He's always been gorgeous, and still is, despite getting a bit frayed around the edges. I do like men with chunky arms!

grannyticktock Sun 08-Apr-18 22:09:37

Just finished binge-watching this, thanks for the recommendations. I enjoyed it and will look out for Series 2. The cast were all excellent, especially the leads, even if Faith's hair should have had a listing all of its own.
In some ways found it a bit slow, with too many reflective scenes and repetitive flashbacks. Social Services would never have snatched the children like that - my daughter is a social worker and removing children from a parent is an absolute last resort, not undertaken lightly - but I suppose it was all done to heighten the drama.
I agree the ending was leaving things wide open for a second series.

travelsafar Mon 09-Apr-18 06:52:55

Juggernaut i'm glad you cleared that up about SteveBaldini, i was getting confused thinking i dont remember seeing a Rob Morgan in the series.smile

NanKate Mon 09-Apr-18 07:09:02

I wish I could get access to Welsh tv if they have other dramas this good. I am signing up to Netflix so that I can get the recommended Hinterland.

I’m now watching the Danish/English thriller Under the Surface on BBC IPlayer. I am enjoying it. First two episodes leave tonight I think. Wish they wouldn't Do that.

Grannyknot Mon 09-Apr-18 07:12:24

Nankate Welsh TV shows come on iPlayer sometimes. I think Keeping Faith is on iPlayer because we could elect to watch it as a box set. I will check and post on here.

Grannyknot Mon 09-Apr-18 07:13:14

Oops, I just realised it says exactly that in the OP.

Welshwife Mon 09-Apr-18 09:34:40

We have a Humax box and if I search through the channels I can get BBC North, London West or whatever - ours is tuned to BBC Wales but it might be that you can get it by searching through the channels. I can also get various BBC2 areas but not ITV - we are stuck with just one area.

NanKate Mon 09-Apr-18 11:36:21

Thanks Grannyknot I got Keeping faith through BBC IPlayer. I have heard they are going to update themselves further to compete with Netflix.

Welshwife I downloaded for free the ITV app and can access their live and recorded programmes there.

Grannyknot Mon 09-Apr-18 11:39:17

Lynnebo what is " a CF" please? smile

Parsleywin Mon 09-Apr-18 18:51:19

NanKate, thanks for sharing your discovery of this series. I've just devoured the lot and wouldn't have known anything about it if you hadn't mentioned it. When it was referred to in Woman's Hour this morning, I felt smugly already 'in the loop'!

NanKate Mon 09-Apr-18 20:38:13

I am so pleased Parsleywin that you have enjoyed Keeping Faith as much as I have.

Are you on Amazon Prime as their Outlander series, all 3 of them have been brilliant ?

Parsleywin Mon 09-Apr-18 21:13:36

Sadly, no, I don't have Amazon Prime. Have Netflix and iPlayer, but I always have the feeling that I don't know how to search either of them properly. Other people always seem to find really good programmes that I haven't noticed!

NanKate Tue 10-Apr-18 07:05:38

Parsleywin searching on BBC IPlayer is just a matter of practice. You can’t lose anything when sifting through so just go for it. Here are a few tips. There is a bar at the top that says in alphabetical order I think, words like Documentaries, Drama, News etc, tap on the one you want and wait for that topic to download. There is usually a vertical column of most popular for that subject, so I often look through that.

If you have seen in the newspapers a programme you want on catch up just look for the magnifying glass symbol at the top right hand side and click on there and type in the name.

I am just about to start a thread for recommended TV, radio, films etc where we can all put our suggestions. This might be a good way for us all to find a wider variety of good watching and listening.

Hope to see you there.

mostlyharmless Thu 12-Apr-18 10:22:34

Help! Loving Keeping Faith but I can’t find episode 4. We’ve managed to download 5 and 8 but not 4. Usually after an episode the next episode downloads automatically.
Brilliantly atmospheric and great acting especially Eve Myles.

Welshwife Thu 12-Apr-18 10:39:19

What system is that? We have nothing so fancy - Humax box which records so when there is a series I set the box to record the series so we can watch it anytime - or rewatch if we have dropped off or not got something!
We cannot get catch up either because we are in France or because the phone line business doesn’t work for some reason (probabably not connected!).

mostlyharmless Thu 12-Apr-18 11:05:17

I was using iPlayer as it’s an old programme welshwife.
Usually fairly easy to use Catchup on iPlayer. Perhaps I left too long a gap as we were too busy to watch it last week.

NanKate Thu 12-Apr-18 11:08:57

I have just checked Mostlyharmless and episode 4 is still available on BBC IPlayer. Do try again.

mostlyharmless Thu 12-Apr-18 11:23:30

Thanks nankate. Still can’t find it. Where’s it hiding? I will try again later.

Welshwife Thu 12-Apr-18 11:42:39

I cannot get iPlayer in France - you need some sort of download which hides where you really are.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Apr-18 11:46:55

And you wouldn’t do that would you WW? ?

varian Thu 12-Apr-18 12:11:34

Aparently there are ways, albeit illegal, for people to get access to i-player in other countries. I would have thought the BBC could make a fortune selling access to i-player, but presumably there are international treaties which prevent it.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Apr-18 12:14:50

I wonder if it’s about performing rights/copyright issues? Anyway if you are watching illegally, there will be a digital footprint somewhere and one day.......?

jusnoneed Thu 12-Apr-18 12:56:22

Just looked on iplayer via the laptop and all the episodes are there Mostlyharmless. When you so on A-Z and look for Keeping Faith select it and episode 8 is on screen and under it is "more from this programme". Click view full list at the right and all the episodes appear.

When I started watching it I downloaded them from Sky Catch up onto the Sky box.