Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TRULY MADDLY DEEPLY

(32 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 03-Nov-18 17:09:39

On BBC2 this evening. I haven’t seen it since 1990, will I cry as I did then? Gulp. Yes. Alan Rickman , the other man I loved with a passion ?

Patsy70 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:10:49

Enjoy the film, Anniebach, and have the tissues handy!

Anniebach Sat 03-Nov-18 17:16:17

This film and Bambi are the only films which have reduced me to tears Tissues ready

nanaK54 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:27:03

Oh thank you so much for highlighting this - a real favourite for me and yes I know it will make me cry

seacliff Sat 03-Nov-18 17:41:09

Oh thanks Annie. I have somehow never seen this, but love Alan Rickman, so will record it.

gillybob Sat 03-Nov-18 17:48:48

I love love loved Alan Rickman too Annie thank you so much for the tip off . I good do with a good cry tonight .

Brunette10 Sat 03-Nov-18 17:54:07

Brilliant film.

Juggernaut Sat 03-Nov-18 17:59:57

Thanks for the 'heads up' Annie, I've just set it to record!

GrandmaKT Sat 03-Nov-18 18:03:51

I loved it (and him!) with a passion at the time. I wonder if it has stood the test of time?

harrysgran Sat 03-Nov-18 18:16:16

Brilliant film it will make me cry buckets but I will enjoy every minute thanks for t smile e reminder

KatyK Sat 03-Nov-18 18:41:39

Oh thank you. I will record it.

GrandmaKT Sun 04-Nov-18 18:52:38

Did you all watch it? I'm afraid to say I now find it rather long-winded and even tedious. Maybe it's because I'm not young and in love any more! I still LOVED the rendition of Sun Ain't Gonna Shine though!

Brunette10 Sun 04-Nov-18 19:46:37

Literally just finished this film. Watched it many years ago but I have to say I must have been in another world at the time. Is it old age? Found it quite tedious and not as emotional/touching as I thought it did first time around. Sorry !

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Nov-18 20:21:27

Noooo I missed it!

I don't care how long-winded or tedious - I love Alan Rickman.

Loved. Sorry, still love.

GrandmaKT Sun 04-Nov-18 20:26:42

It's on iplayer Jalima.

DisrespectfulWoman Sun 04-Nov-18 21:41:14

I watched it earlier today. I loved it (and cried through it) just as much as ever. Beautiful!

Pittcity Sun 04-Nov-18 21:50:18

It all looked so grainy and dated.....
I would've killed him for letting his mates take over....lucky he was dead already.

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 21:50:54

I loved it, the different stages of the story , so romantic and so sad , cried again when she cried talking to her therapist, cried when she saw him in the flat, cried when he watched as she left at the end because he was sad yet happy, mission accomplished, Brilliant

JustGrandma Sun 04-Nov-18 22:00:13

I loved it when it was first released. I watched it last night and it did have a terribly dated feel to it. It's still a lovely and touching story but it seemed to drag on forever. And loads of stuff seemed like unnecessary and tedious padding. I had the same feeling when I revisited A Bouquet of Barbed Wire recently (it's all available on YouTube). In the 1970s I was glued to it every week and on the nights it was due on I would be beside myself with excitement. Again, it's still a very good story but it just seems so old fashioned, and there's lots of hammy acting.

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 22:21:35

Perhaps it seemed to drag because second time around there was a feeling of ‘get to the dramatic bits’ ?

gulligranny Sun 04-Nov-18 22:29:41

I too loved this film and was keen to watch it again last night - and was very disappointed to find that I didn't like it anymore. Nina now seems to be one of those annoyingly manipulative women who think that they can get away with anything because they are beautiful, and as for Jamie! Controlling, sulky, selfish .... but I loved the ghosts, crying over Brief Encounter, All beautifully acted but it no longer touches my heart.

Anniebach Sun 04-Nov-18 22:41:19

But Jamie was like that because he was back to end their love not to renew it ?

gulligranny Mon 05-Nov-18 08:43:38

Do you think so, Annie? That hadn't occurred to me, I felt that he'd always been like that and because she so adored him (in life) she was - like so many women - an enabler, easier to let him do what he wanted and not rock the boat, keep his love sweet. Thinking about it, and the congratulations from the other ghosts when Nina went off with (can't remember the character's name) I'm sure you are right.

Teetime Mon 05-Nov-18 08:52:29

Cant watch it anymore- my friend and I call it ' the film to have a breakdown by'- wrecks me every time.

oldbatty Mon 05-Nov-18 08:53:57

I can see this is precious to some people but it provoked in me a combination of boredom, frustration and a sense of great loss. Loss of the past, simpler and more optimistic and hopeful times.