Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alan Partridge - is it just me

(57 Posts)
kittylester Mon 04-Mar-19 15:29:49

who cant stand the silly DJ character he plays? I find it mortifying just to watch how awful he is and I don't find it at all funny.

Jane10 Tue 05-Mar-19 17:18:49

Well you won't get what Alan Partridge is about! Don't worry about it. Just don't watch it. It's not for you.

TerriBull Tue 05-Mar-19 17:23:39

I didn't watch last night, I've watched some of the old Alan Partridge and I found him funny, he, like Ricky Gervais in "The Office" are supposed to have the squirm factor that's the whole point of their characters, they are ghastly and unaware of that themselves. He definitely parodies "The One Show" and maybe the Richard Madley type of broadcaster and there's also a whiff of Simon Dee about him, if anyone can remember that far back. Not that RM was that bad, but did come out with gaffes occasionally.

Steve Coogan is good as a straight actor he brought plenty of pathos to "Stan and Ollie". He's also very good in "The Trip" with Rob Brydon, both great impersonators.

Yes going back to Alan Partridge it is of course quite feasible that his character has Aspergers. I remember when, in a previous series, his career was consigned to the doldrums and he was living in some motel. Someone who worked at the motel who had a very strong north east accent said something to him, his response "no sorry didn't understand any of that it was just a noise"

Mapleleaf Thu 07-Mar-19 16:20:45

I find the trailers advertising his latest programme really off putting. They are certainly not encouraging me to tune into the series. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Oldwoman70 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:38:37

Apparently the series has already lost around 50% of those who viewed the first programme

popsis71 Fri 08-Mar-19 17:01:42

AP? Fleabag? it takes all sorts.

grannyticktock Sun 10-Mar-19 17:30:43

Well, I saw the first show and enjoyed it. He's a very cleverly crafted character, portraying and exaggerating the cringeworthy things that some people say (or in most cases, think but don't say), and their questionable attitudes. His edginess, his insensitivity to others, his lack of "filter", combined with his pretentiousness and vanity, are skilfully put across and very believable. Of course we don't "like" him as a person - it would be very dull if he was just a normal, nice guy - but that's the whole point. He's not supposed to charm us, he's meant to make us squirm, and often does it in a very funny way.

If you don't agree, nothing I say will make you find it funny. We're all different - I can't bear Mrs Brown's Boys, but some people seem to find it hilarious. I'm just trying to explain to those who don't "get" AP what it is that appeals to some of us.