Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addicts.

(870 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 19:47:18

I'm starting this new thread as apparently our other one was over a year old!! shock

We'll have to do more gossiping to prevent this happening again.

Here's a link to the old one.

www.gransnet.com/forums/tv_radio_film_arts/1241862-The-Archers?msgid=27150464#27150464

FountainPen Wed 27-Mar-19 12:13:28

Some of the characters are played by in-demand actors. Tony Archer is often absent for lengthy periods and for scenes one would think he should be in. That will coincide with when actor David Troughton is working in theatre or film. Same for Carol Tregorran (Eleanor Bron). Many of the actors have other day jobs. Charlotte Martin who plays Susan Carter is a research psychologist and Felicity Finch (Ruth Archer) is a journalist who makes radio features and documentaries.

Yes, Mali Harries was Jane Milner in Foyle's War and has appeared in many other TV dramas. imdb link here:

www.imdb.com/name/nm1036545/

I also remember when Pat was Welsh and spoke with a Welsh accent. smile

8/8/1958 On 8 August, Jill gave birth to twins - and Dan was bewildered to find he had grandchildren called Kenton and Shula.

1974 Ann Moore watched Shula riding Mister Jones and said she showed promise as a competition rider. Phil agreed to support her, if she would also do a secretarial course at Borchester Tech.

For people like me who love all the ancient trivia about The Archers, this site has snippets of events up to 1994.

umra.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Hesketh%27s_Chronology_of_The_Archers

I recall Ruth put her inheritance from HeatherPet into a pension plan. The fluctuation in milk prices contributes to the Brookfield Archers' rollercoaster finances.

Finally, the accents of similar-aged characters who supposedly grew up together is an oddity. Too many of the younger rural mechanicals seem to hail from west of Broadchurch. Without Joe Grundy saying Hello young Tom Archer or Mine's a pint, Toby Fairbrother it can be hard to distinguish between the posh boys. It will be easier now we have Natasha to finish Tom's sentences. smile

1inamillion Wed 27-Mar-19 12:57:48

You are a fountain of knowledge FountainPen and thank you for the links, I'll have a look.

Remember when Neal arrived to work for Phil Archer, he was sweet on Shulah I think.
Wonder how Jill will react to the name 'Grace' - she'll probably have a hissy fit and disappear into the kitchen to bake a sponge.

FountainPen Wed 27-Mar-19 13:14:35

Jill's jealousy over Grace Fairbrother has always been irrational. At least she acknowledged Robin's part in suggesting the christening. Let's hope she sees reason and doesn't frighten Leonard away with her histrionics else his next painting may look a lot like Munch's Scream.

Do have a look at the Hesketh link. Neil had form with women ... and other things.

1974 Neil Carter met a girl called Sandy Miller, and went with her to a wild party in Borchester. The party was raided by the police, and drugged cigarettes were found in Neil's pocket. He was placed on probation by Borchester magistrates.. and then ...

1983 Susan Horrobin wins pig at village fete; Neil Carter helps look after it. ... and sealed his fate forever. smile

shysal Wed 27-Mar-19 13:26:37

Have I missed something about Leonard's painting? Did he not paint it? He keeps avoiding the subject, especially when somebody suggests he paints another.

Scribbles Wed 27-Mar-19 16:34:51

I've also been thinking shysal, that Leonard didn't paint that picture. OH said that's because I have a nasty, suspicious mind. I prefer to think of it as realism!

I think Lizzie is in for a terrible shock when her repulsive prodigal son comes home on Friday and he's not quite the downcast and remorseful character she seems to be expecting.

TBH, I keep wondering why I still listen. I find myself disliking most of the characters these days and the story lines have me screaming at the radio. But the thread title says it all - my name is Scribbles and I'm an Archers addict ...

suzied Wed 27-Mar-19 16:38:22

The actress who plays Helen is Moira in Coronation Street

FountainPen Wed 27-Mar-19 16:41:44

I agree about Leonard. The clues are there.

Horses are not my forte.

If I’d been locked up for six months I imagine I might be a little daunted by large gatherings but what do I know?

Toby: How do you do it, Leonard? Charm your way into the Archer clan?

Maybe his volunteering in the Laurels was community service for some misdeed. Which reminds me that the Melling Equestrian Investment scandal was never resolved.

At least it’s evidence that Jill hasn’t removed his trousers yet else she would have noticed the electronic tag that doesn’t let him leave Ambridge. smile

1inamillion Wed 27-Mar-19 17:49:09

What are the odds on an Elizabeth - Ross relationship?
That's DH's opinion, annoyingly he's usually spot on.

FountainPen Wed 27-Mar-19 18:16:13

It seems fairly obvious that something will happen. This will probably be both a relief for Lily as I'm sure she'd like to be rid of him now but also ... well ... just a tad awkward.

It's always been a puzzle why Elizabeth has never met anyone new. You would think that with all the conferences and posh events that happen at Lower Loxley, plus the winery etc that she would come into contact will lots of eligible men. For a while I thought she might have a rematch with Robin Fairbrother when he reappeared but I guess they have too much history.

I'm still puzzling over what happened to Dr Locke. Both Lizzie and Shula were lusting after him at the same time. He disappointed both by slinking off with Debbie Aldridge and was never seen again.

1inamillion Wed 27-Mar-19 21:54:25

FountainP your knowledge is encyclopaedic.

I agree with you Scribbles about the recent storylines, too many script writers perhaps each trying to outdo the other with sensationalist plots. It certainly is not " An Everyday Story of Countryfolk" anymore, remember Dan's little monologues at the start of the programme.

Nigel's death is an example of sensationalism which I think backfired, it's not a TV Soap. There was never a dull moment with Nigel, he certainly had personality, which is so lacking with some characters.

phoenix Thu 28-Mar-19 19:18:44

Well! It's all coming out now isn't it!
Madam Natasha will not be happy about Tom backing out on the house in Penny Hassett!

merlotgran Thu 28-Mar-19 19:32:27

Tom's grown a pair at long last. grin

phoenix Thu 28-Mar-19 19:52:43

Does anyone remember the conversation between Tom, and (I think, Roy) about "knowing" with regard to getting married? I distinctly remember Tom saying something like "the minute Natasha suggested it, I knew it was right"

Manipulative little minx, methinks!

Iam64 Thu 28-Mar-19 20:50:54

What is it with Tom and women? He's hopeless isn't he.

merlotgran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:24:08

I hope the flat above the shop is still up for grabs or it's going to be a bit crowded at Bridge Farm.

FountainPen Thu 28-Mar-19 22:57:05

Musical houses time in Ambridge. Older Grundys to the Green. Emma and Ed and Kirsty and Phil to their new homes in Elliottville. Oliver back to Grange Farm or will Brian and Jennifer rent it in which case will the cider shed have to relocate? Johnny back to Bridge Farm? Hannah lodging with Roy? Tom and Natasha heading for Queer Street. Where will Jakob, the first rate equine vet, live and will he escape the clutches of Lavinia Rafferty? Did Usha find a new tenant for Blossom Hill Cottage after Anisha left? Will we ever meet the new owners of Home Farm? A budding entrepreneur would be buying themselves a removal lorry. Missing a trick there, Josh.

eGJ Fri 29-Mar-19 10:20:24

On FountainPen what scenarios!! You have started my day off with several laughs and how about Jill and Leonard going in to Blossom Hill?

1inamillion Fri 29-Mar-19 10:40:03

Musical houses indeed FountainPen
It did appear that Tom may at last be growing a pair Merlot we can but hope anyway.

What's up with Adam??

merlotgran Sun 31-Mar-19 19:22:58

I may have got this wrong but I thought girls had two godmothers and one godfather and boys, two godfathers and one godmother so why is Pip trawling around for another godfather for Rosie when they already have Rex?

Gold star for Ben and his principles!

mumofmadboys Sun 31-Mar-19 22:17:52

There are no rules on godparents re number or sex of them.

Scribbles Sun 31-Mar-19 22:19:00

I had two of each gender (for all the good it did me - all relatives and none more than half hearted believers). My parents only had my sister and me christened because they felt they "ought" to and it was an excuse for a party; they certainly weren't believers themselves
I agree - full marks to Ben and it's a shame more in R/L don't share his principles.

FountainPen Sun 31-Mar-19 22:39:28

I agree there are no rules about the number of godparents, indeed the parents can be the godparents themselves but it's traditional to have at least three, two female and one male for a girl.

I can't fathom why Pip and Toby are scrabbling around for a second male (Riccardo) unless it's a clumsy attempt to bring a new character into the drama. Why on earth would Pip want someone she has never met as godfather to her child unless the writers are trying to make a point about the futility of it all when neither parent is a practising Christian? Well done, Ben, for standing firm.

It doesn't sound like prison has changed Freddie one bit. Still as annoying and not a shred of remorse for all he has put his family through.

LullyDully Mon 01-Apr-19 09:23:59

Ah, but what is really worrying me greatly, is when Kate is starting her goat yoga classes. Shame I don't live in Borsetshire.confused

merlotgran Mon 01-Apr-19 10:13:50

Everyone at Bridge Farm seems to have forgotten about Pat's goats. hmm

FountainPen Mon 01-Apr-19 12:17:12

Shh! Don't mention the goats to Nocasha. She'll have a debt-laden app-driven business called Stinky Cheese in a Box up online before the day is out.

Nor have we heard anything lately about Pat's volunteer work at The Elms or of her friend Olwen played by the wonderfully stroppy Alison Steadman.

The tea party dialogue suggests we might her from CallMeDan soon. I wonder if he's still with chaste Dorothy?