Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Repair Shop

(44 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 30-Mar-19 12:39:16

YEAY ! New series starts Monday 4.30 p.m and has moved to BBC1
DH and I are looking forward to this.

shysal Sat 30-Mar-19 12:45:22

I wonder whether it is hosted by Jay Blades again. He is the one from Money for Nothing who wears the leather apron and paints old chairs with one leg in a contrasting colour dripping down. I wouldn't give one house room!

Auntieflo Sat 30-Mar-19 12:53:22

I also read about Jay Blades being a host. Well I know he calls himself a furniture restorer, but when you see some of his work, close up, it doesn’t look as professional as it should.

ninathenana Sat 30-Mar-19 13:01:40

Yes, sadly Jay is hosting. I agree his stuff is rubbish and from what I've seen, I'm not to keen on his personality either.
At least there are some genuinely talented people on both programmes.

ayse Sat 30-Mar-19 15:20:53

I love watching the craftspeople at work. Looking forward and thank you for the hands up.

petra Wed 03-Apr-19 08:31:07

I wouldn't let Jay paint my garden sheds, let alone in my home.
I'd like know what the people with real skills think of him.

crystaltipps Wed 03-Apr-19 08:34:10

Jay Blades doesn’t do any of the actual work in the Repair Shop does he? I agree his style is to ruin classic furniture such as Ercol, but there is market for it unfortunately.

Auntieflo Wed 03-Apr-19 08:44:43

I wouldn't let Jay paint my garden sheds, let alone in my home.
Petra, you nailed it, how true

Greyduster Wed 03-Apr-19 08:50:25

Plus one for that, Petra. He grates on me. I would like to see one of the truly talented repairers give him a black eye! I was completely blown away by the repair on the skeleton clock, and the effort that went into getting the old radio to work.

ninathenana Wed 03-Apr-19 13:11:51

I agree Steve ? is a genius. I love watching him work. It would seem his talents are endless. The key he made for the clock work car was truly a work of art.
Greyduster can I have a ticket for that please !

jrw5866 Thu 01-Aug-19 19:19:50

The Repair shop experts are amazing,why on earth is Jay Blades ,there ,totally useless , he calls himself a furniture restorer .
Rant Over

Avor2 Sat 03-Aug-19 20:11:54

my favourite programme at the moment, I have got so many half broken things I could take there, I love the stories that come with the items, always end up with a tear or two at the end of the programme. I think my 69 year old teddy is need of a bit of TLC.

RosieLeah Sat 03-Aug-19 20:24:57

It's like that other make-over programme...Money for Nothing. Some of the so-called 'improvements' are worse than the original. It all depends on taste, I suppose.

GabriellaG54 Sun 04-Aug-19 10:57:02

I simply LOVE the programme and echo so many others re JB and Steve, Kirsten, William and all the others.

I also like Money For Nothing (sans JB)
The craftspeople, to whom the items are taken to work their magic, are truly talented and their efforts, gob-smacking...not to put too fine a point on it. grin

Nannyxthree Sun 04-Aug-19 20:36:37

Kirsten, Steve, Will etc. are brilliant but I do love Jay's leather apron. Has anyone else noticed that it still looks new after several series?

BBbevan Mon 05-Aug-19 15:00:28

That's because he never does anythingNannyxthree Just swans around and appears when the people come to collect their repaired things. He adds nothing to the programme.

Nannyxthree Mon 05-Aug-19 16:18:55

Someone must like him. He is now writing a regular feature in 'Homes & Antiques'.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 16:30:20

I only pop into it now and then I m not that keen on the programme I like arts and crafts but never seem to like anything that they do to these bits of throw away stuff

Avor2 Wed 07-Aug-19 21:00:59

Love the programme, everything they take in means so much to the owners, (must take my DH there to tart him up a bit - only joking ) Apparently Jay is just there to present the programme rather than do much else. Saw him being interviewed, seemed nice enough.

GrannyLiv Wed 07-Aug-19 23:09:58

I love this programme. There are so many talented people, but I especially admire the lady who restores the pottery/china. When she's finished with something you would swear that it was never broken in the first place. The lady who does the picture restoring is another genius.

I found out the other day that the clock chap and the leather lady are Brother and Sister!

TLWOOLY1 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:15:00

I’ve just watched the Repair Shop and, yet again, I’ve been left wondering what it is that the talentless Jay Blades actually does! That apron has not seen a real day’s work in its life, he laughably calls himself a furniture restorer and he hangs off the coattails of truly talented artisans, whilst doing absolutely nothing at all! Talk about Money for Nothing......

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:23:53

He is very talented and experienced himself - but in the programme he is the introducer and presenter- I think he is great.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:31:11

BTW does anyone know if people pay some cost when they have an object accepted for restoration? I think I will write to them about my grandparents' Magic Lantern (19C precursor to film- with painted glass slides.

Honestly Thu 12-Dec-19 19:00:09

Why is Jay Blades on The Repair Shop ?? He says he is a Furniture restorer.. ?? What.. I see paint a leg add a button and that is it.. some professional ... What! ?
This program would be much better with a professional at the front table .. not just to patronise.
I do cringe with his presence on this program.

Resurgam123 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:24:43

I like this, the skills of these people is really good.
But maybe Jay Blades is just the manager or owner. Who just keeps the business side of working.