Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Repair Shop

(45 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 30-Mar-19 12:39:16

YEAY ! New series starts Monday 4.30 p.m and has moved to BBC1
DH and I are looking forward to this.

Dinahmo Fri 13-Dec-19 11:48:19

The older restorers are excellent. Not so sure about the young furniture restorer. My husband is a retired furniture restorer working at the top end of the market and with many of the pieces he worked upon in museum collections. He is very critical of the methods used.

shysal Fri 13-Dec-19 12:55:15

I noticed in the Radio Times that Jay is to be on 'Would I Lie to You' soon, in a show that was postponed a week or two back. I have a feeling he will be as thick as I think he is!

MerylStreep Fri 13-Dec-19 13:17:39

Jura2
I assume you've seen jay paint? And you think he's skilled and talented. I would suggest you don't have very high standards where paintwork is concerned or you have bad eyesight.

Did anyone see jay on 'House of Games' it was painful to watch. Most of the time he didn't understand the question let alone the answer. I like that programme, but let's be honest, it's hardly rocket science, is it?

Lona Fri 13-Dec-19 13:47:11

Yes I saw him on House of Games Meryl and he was as thick as I expected!

J52 Fri 13-Dec-19 17:04:54

I love the Repair Shop. It reminds me of my Grandfather, who was a Master Craftsman in Furniture making.
I loved going to his workshop, the smell of wood and all the handcrafting tools.
Local people were always popping in with a variety of things asking if he could mend them.
When he retired and the workshop was cleared, my Granny found quite a few things that had over the years been taken there to fix and never seen again!

drifter Wed 18-Dec-19 04:06:58

i feel sorry for jay.he just paints if you see him .well out of his depth with the talented restores.like a lost soul.im sure hes the erand boy lost in confusion at what he sees from the taleted restorers.i blame the tv producers putting jay on this program.but i hope jay can get his hands dirty

lavenderzen Wed 18-Dec-19 10:21:53

I love this programme. Jay is just the person who introduces, he does not profess to be an expert, you see him time after time watching and asking questions of the experts.

There are some truly brilliant people on this show, great to watch them at their chosen profession.

craftyone Wed 18-Dec-19 20:43:37

I wish they would do their own teaching programmes on tv, like in america. I do rate the wood person Will, as a carver myself, I recognise that he is multi talented without going over the top. He restores to a good standard, even if not museum standard, which is not what the programme is about. He does enough to help make the item viable for the owner.

Jay is a waste of space. They don`t need him

BBbevan Wed 18-Dec-19 20:47:16

Today he said he was a restorer and upholsterer ??

Auntieflo Wed 18-Dec-19 22:18:05

At the risk of being shot down, I saw him on the programme "Money for Nothing" a few times.
He would 'restore' an old item, then ruin it by painting/ gilding one leg, say, of a chair, thereby ruining it.
When there happened to be close ups, the finish was bad.
How he can suggest he is a restorer, when appearing with those who clearly are, is beyond me?
I think I have seen him say he has been a builder and a philosophy student.
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
I don't like him, can you tell?

Oopsminty Wed 18-Dec-19 22:21:58

Lovely show

travelsafar Thu 19-Dec-19 07:43:59

Can't bear the program.

Marilla Thu 19-Dec-19 09:11:30

I do like this programme. No loud music, shrill audience and celebrities. I am in awe of the skills of each craftsman.
Jay is needed to be the link between the public and the craftsmen. He is unobtrusive and listens really well to the stories from the participants.
Fingers crossed the format is not changed due to it becoming very popular.

Mapleleaf Thu 19-Dec-19 12:23:54

I don't watch it every time, but on the occasions I have seen it, I've been very impressed with the skills of all the craftspeople. They are very talented

gillyknits Thu 19-Dec-19 12:38:26

I love this programme. The stories and reason for a repair being needed, can reduce me to tears. The objects mean so mush to their owners and the delight when the object is restored is heart warming.
Jay is a coordinator. He gets in supplies for the individual repairs and gets in touch when the repair is made.
The craftsmanship is absolutely amazing especially when something looks beyond repair.

shysal Thu 19-Dec-19 14:09:46

I don't for a minute believe that Jay gets in supplies and makes contact with the owners! I wonder how many of the craftsmen and women really think he is a waste of space. Have those of you who defend him seen him on Money for Nothing for which he first became known to me on TV? Anyone can paint a contrasting leg onto an Ercol chair!

BBbevan Thu 19-Dec-19 16:13:09

Well said Shysal

Alishka Sat 21-Dec-19 21:46:08

The Repair Shop - love it, a real jewel of a programme! and for me unmissable.Thank you Auntie Beeb for giving us thisflowers
That Jay Blades Cheeky Chappie Cockney presenter bloke - just...^why^?

soop Thu 02-Jan-20 13:32:44

My favourite programme for all the right reasons.