Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Streeet

(76 Posts)
sodapop Fri 03-May-19 08:38:25

What is happening with Corrie, seven actors leaving in short order. I always watch Corrie but think it's lost the plot now, very little of the humour which made it enjoyable.
I understand there is a new producer who is clearly a new broom.

Jane10 Sat 04-May-19 13:55:00

Posted too soon- its your OWN toilet!

Jane10 Sat 04-May-19 13:54:33

I remember Blanche coming home from a holiday and saying, 'Its nice to get back to your toilet'!
(Actually I know what she meant)

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 13:45:40

Yes, and Claudia, I quite miss Gina, strange but oddly endearing

KatyK Sat 04-May-19 13:33:20

and Claudia!

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 13:08:18

I can’t stand Carla of Michelle either, hope we’ve seen the last of them, shame they didn’t take Cait with them

crystaltipps Sat 04-May-19 12:55:52

The quote I remember from Blanche is that she knew someone was gay because he had a cat called Billie-Jean King.

KatyK Sat 04-May-19 12:41:08

I think Gemma is great. I love her unlikely relationship with Rita. I also like Jenny. Can't stand Carla or Michelle.

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 07:52:44

Maggiemaybe

Thanks for the reminder of some of Blanches finest moments, there was also a classic Blanche comment about the gay community, but I don’t think it would be very PC for me to repeat it!

Sara65 Sat 04-May-19 07:48:54

I record the old episodes and watch them while I’m ironing, I never catch up on them all, but you don’t need to, Gail and Martin have just moved into Coronation Street. Funny how they change the characters though, Audrey is one of my favourites now, but quite unpleasant back in the day, I love the chemistry between Bet and Alec, Curly and Reg, and I’d forgotten how vile Ivy was

Calendargirl Sat 04-May-19 07:47:30

Katiel

Re Monty and Gardeners World.
I think he said at end of last week he was going to USA? and wouldn’t be around for a couple of weeks, all to do with gardening of course.

Namsnanny Sat 04-May-19 01:50:19

Grandmajan….The difference between the modern version and the old one, is like night and day!!

vissos Sat 04-May-19 01:06:05

I dip in & out of current Corrie now. Think it was the Phelan saga that was the final straw. Much prefer the Classic Corrie in the afternoon (same goes for Emmerdale where Joe Tate was the FS).
I have a good friend who watches current Corrie if I ever miss a 'vital' storyline. I'll have to ask her what happened/is happening to Fizz & Kevin...
I'd get rid of the whole Connor clan - way past their sell by, but please doG Rozi doesn't come back!

callgirl1 Fri 03-May-19 23:52:19

Same here Anno, I loved Brookside.

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 23:44:33

I spent January in New Zealand where Corrie is very popular. They were years behind, but were catching up by showing several episodes each week. I almost got the hang of it, but since I came home, haven't bothered to watch it at all. In the '90s, when I was teaching a course entitled 'Soaps and Society' to mature students, I really got my fill of them and have hardly watched any since - still mourning the demise of Brookside, though.

callgirl1 Fri 03-May-19 23:13:53

I watched Coronation Street religiously from the first episode in December 1960, never missed one, then suddenly in 1970 I lost interest and stopped watching, round about the time that Arthur Leslie, who played Jack Walker, died. I haven`t seen any since then.

gillybob Fri 03-May-19 22:47:48

I love hobby Gemma and her brother Paul. Although he’s probably too good an actor to stay for very long.

katie1 Fri 03-May-19 22:44:44

Does anyone know why Monty isn’t on Gardener’s World ?

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-May-19 22:42:25

Blanche was a legend. ? Good looks are a curse, Deirdre. You and Ken should count yourselves lucky. That monologue on Postman Pat. The scene at the Al Anon meeting. Telling Liz(?) her soul was as dark as her roots. The funeral crashing. Oh, those were the days!

Helennonotion Fri 03-May-19 22:01:08

ITV 3 mid afternoon. Corrie from when it was good! I watch it regularly. It started in the 80s but now its up to 1992. 2 episodes a day. So easy to watch. Such simple storylines. Such humour between Bet/Alec and Jack/Vera. Alma is just about to marry Mike and Steph has just left Des for the second time. Martin has just started his nursing course. Oh and Rita is about to marry Ted! ;-) I haven't watched it for years in its current format.

Jane10 Fri 03-May-19 21:55:39

Phyllis Pearce and Percy Sugden? I did like them but Blanche Hunt was magnificent.

Rosieroe Fri 03-May-19 21:55:08

I cannot stand gobby Gemma and her awful brother.

Gonegirl Fri 03-May-19 21:47:43

So, Norris is back then. smile

Sara65 Fri 03-May-19 21:39:36

I was just thinking about Blanche, She was such a good character, with really brilliant dialogue, I’m getting to like Tyrone’s granny, but she’s no Blanche!

Lily65 Fri 03-May-19 21:34:20

Dev has to be one of the worst " actors" ever.

sodapop Fri 03-May-19 21:32:20

Dev & Claudia are on my list to be axed, they are both irritating, Dev couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
I miss Blanche, her put downs were legendary.