Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Monty Don

(41 Posts)
katie1 Fri 03-May-19 22:56:48

Where is Monty?!! So disappointed to find he is ‘away’ this week . thanks

SpringyChicken Fri 03-May-19 23:15:45

He's off on a jaunt - he did say last week but I've forgotten where.

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 23:35:35

I liked his stand-in. He had a lovely old cat, though I did miss the Nigel and Nellie.

arosebyanyothername Fri 03-May-19 23:52:55

Missed Monty too but he did say he would be away. Thought the stand in did a good job (as did his cat & dog)?

Izabella Sat 04-May-19 09:45:46

Well I watched for the first time in ages last night and thoroughly enjoyed not having him on the programme.

aggie Sat 04-May-19 09:49:11

I liked the Stand In too and a different garden/dog was good as well

shysal Sat 04-May-19 11:05:44

It is rumoured that Adam Frost is being groomed as Monty's replacement in the future. Nobody beats Monty for me!

aggie Sat 04-May-19 11:07:12

I must say i didn't miss Monty one little bit

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 11:44:17

If Monty was to be replaced my younger daughter would be horrified. She spends all day every day in her garden , and so many times I hear ‘ Monty said’, ?

katie1 Sat 04-May-19 12:52:50

Thank you for clearing that up, I thought he might be ill ?

shysal Sat 04-May-19 15:08:03

On last night's programme Adam recommended cutting off the flower spikes of Jacob's Ladder. I have just been given one but can't bring myself to chop it back when it is looking so pretty! I can see there are more to come so what should I do?

Millie22 Sat 04-May-19 15:25:01

I'm not sure about Adam but I love his house. He may have been a bit nervous as he seemed better towards the end of the programme.

LadyGracie Sat 04-May-19 16:11:03

He said he was going to America to do some filming for tv over there.

Vonners Sat 04-May-19 23:18:22

I enjoy watching Monty so didn't watch this week as I knew he was away. From all your comments looks like I need to watch it on 'catch up'.

LullyDully Sun 05-May-19 08:14:07

We are just amazed by the enormity of their gardens. Spaces for gravel gardens, veg patch, wooded areas etc. Then encouragement to plant an enormous tree. There must be great wealth in gardening. What a magnificent house with glorious grounds Adam had.

( I still prefer Geoff Smith, I learnt a lot from him. My Dad was a Percy Thrower fan. I have images of them in heaven nattering together with that man who loved old engines and machines. )

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 19:50:03

I really like Monty Don.
With him presenting, it's a really relaxing programme and anyine with stress issues might do well to watch it.
The dogs add to the gentle pace and the matter-of-fact way Monty sometimes pooh-poohs myths about when to prune or how to plant, make it all seem so easy... which it usually is.
He recently went to Japan but I've not seen any film of that yet.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 19:55:51

LullyDully
Do you mean the man (steeplejack) who knocked down towers with explosives Fred Dibnah?
He had a blooming big green steam roller and I saw him at a fete some years ago. A fascinating storyteller.

LullyDully Tue 07-May-19 17:11:03

That's the one gabriellathanks. He's the one up on Heaven with my dad and Percy Thrower. I think Barry Bucknell may sometimes join them.

Day6 Tue 07-May-19 17:25:28

I really like Monty and his gentle style, but Adam has grown on me too, and I think he did a good job of presenting the show.

It was lovely that he had a cat too. (Tom) I used to love Alan Titchmarsh in the garden with his devoted cat. I also enjoy the appearances of Nelly and Nigel the dogs and I noted Adam has a dog too. (It's nice to meet the pets!)

Adams beautiful old house is in Lincolnshire. He really has transformed the gardens and we envy him his walled vegetable garden. They all have a team of helpers though. We also like Carole but we are not so keen on the young smug hipster presenter, with his well groomed beard and carefully put-together trendy gardening attire. (All designer stuff, no doubt!) He is knowledgeable though.

Telly Tue 07-May-19 17:54:22

I have a vague Idea he is filming something. No doubt somewhere exotic, flying with a zero carbon footprint no doubthmm

shysal Tue 07-May-19 18:27:31

I was impressed with Monty's sensitive handling of Rachel De Thame's return to TV after breast cancer treatment. He has a lovely gentle manner.

Lily65 Tue 07-May-19 18:37:49

I'd like to rip Monty's cords and battered leather gilet off and check out his asparagus bed or even his wild garlic.

Harris27 Tue 07-May-19 19:00:28

Like monty but Alan was always my favourite. However did enjoy Adams easy approach so who knows he may take over some day?

Day6 Tue 07-May-19 19:03:32

Lily!!!! Thank you for the laugh! I have just startled the cat! grin

Day6 Tue 07-May-19 19:04:01

He even wears his big wellies with panache.....