Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poldark

(154 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 03-Jul-19 17:10:42

looking forward to this,,,the final series too

Jabberwok Mon 15-Jul-19 13:02:06

Oh dear! Disappointed is a word that comes to mind! Who on earth cast Geoffrey Charles? He was just awful, and deeply unattractive! Ditto over the fire, both the house and the fireplace!! ( the house would surly have been wrecked!!)
boredom with the Irishman and just generally bored!!! I do hope it chirps up as like others I've been looking forward to for ages!

merlotgran Mon 15-Jul-19 13:56:41

I think the new Geoffrey Charles is ghastly which is a shame because the actor who played him as a boy did a good job of making him a fair minded, loyal child with a sense of fun and the promise of being a handsome, likeable adult.

Ooh dear! Somebody got that wrong.

SirChenjin Mon 15-Jul-19 16:22:00

Much as it pains me to say it, I agree with everything that's been said (apart from Geoffrey Charles, I actually thought he was OK). It seems like a parody - which I don't think is the effect that she was going for. Hopefully it will improve over the coming weeks though.

Jabberwok Mon 15-Jul-19 17:07:27

Geoffrey Charles is 16 (born 1784). This guy looks well into his 20's, and is just not evenly remotely like his predecessor, having changed from a bright attractive, though slightly dissolute young man , into a deeply unattractive nonentity!
Maybe as he's going into the military, we won't have to see too much of him!!!

SirChenjin Mon 15-Jul-19 17:08:38

Wowser - that's harsh! You really don't like him, do you? grin

Jabberwok Mon 15-Jul-19 17:37:43

No!!

luluaugust Mon 15-Jul-19 17:49:41

They should have taken a lesson from the real Poldark and ended when the books for the early years finished not tried writing a whole new book. The original does look stagey now but the acting was 101% better. Political correctness has crept in.

Sparklefizz Mon 15-Jul-19 18:06:08

^Well I still think that George is more interesting than Ross. Poor George.
I also like his sneery/smarmy sidekick /uncle too. I don't fancy them! I just like them. Elizabeth was very wet. So is Demelza. Ross still looks like he smells.^

I'm with you, Jane10. Ross annoys me with his stubborn headstrong ways.

Sparklefizz Mon 15-Jul-19 18:09:44

And what always amuses me is that Ross zips off to London at the drop of a hat when it would take over a week from Cornwall, if not more with overnight stays and changes of horses, and it would be a very hard journey.

Jabberwok Mon 15-Jul-19 20:45:52

Demelza too!! Travelling in that coach would have been a long arduous journey, needing quite a bit or forward thinking!!!
Oh dear, hopefully not political correctness! It's lucky the Empire wasn't in full swing in 1800, else we'd be in for a lecture on it's evils!!!

SirChenjin Mon 15-Jul-19 21:03:29

Political correctness to feature the abolition of slavery? confused

Jabberwok Tue 16-Jul-19 08:11:46

Letter boxes weren't invented till 1858!! Hard to see how Ross and Demelza would have had one for the fire stick!!

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-19 08:20:52

I just love it for the escapism - it's good Sunday night tv.

I loved the original but that Ross (Robin Ellis) wasnt as manly as I imagined - this one is!

Deedaa Tue 16-Jul-19 15:51:53

I much preferred Robin Ellis as Ross, probably because he came across as a normal bloke. This Demelza looks far too 21st century, there was a lovely ethereal quality about Angharad Rees that is missing in this one. And I did love Ralph Bates as George. So slimy yet you couldn't help feeling sorry for him when things went wrong.

Blinko Tue 16-Jul-19 22:10:34

Oh gawd, is Morwenna still in it?

Labaik Tue 16-Jul-19 22:37:53

The dog must be at least 20 by now, surely....

Marmight Wed 17-Jul-19 06:10:10

Why on earth is it being aired in Summer at the beginning of the holidays? It's more of a cosy-down on a sunday night, on the sofa, in front of the fire, in the middle of winter type series.....

kittylester Wed 17-Jul-19 06:40:47

I thought that too, marmight.

Jabberwok Wed 17-Jul-19 10:26:35

Perhaps they've called all their dogs (whatever!!) and this a descendant of??
I agree about it being aired in he summer! Much better in the winter! Why does it NEVER seem to rain in Cornwall!! It certainly did when we lived there back in the day!

sassenach512 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:04:56

Has anyone seen Outlander? I think it's a much better historical drama, it's a pity BBC didn't pick it up instead of Poldark

Jane10 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:08:15

It always feels like a Sunday evening autumn/winter drama. Odd to have it on now. Still its a change from all the nasty action packed detective/murder type dramas with twists galore.
On another note I see that a second series of 'Keeping Faith' is coming on.

henetha Wed 17-Jul-19 11:13:42

Oh dear. Can't we just enjoy it? Why are some so picky?
It's just fiction, nice escapist entertainment.
I LIKE IT! (yes, I am shouting).

SueDonim Wed 17-Jul-19 11:50:36

I like it, too! I can still laugh at the foibles in it, though. grin

You could be right about the dogs name, Jabberwok. There's always a ginger cat called Jock in residence at Chartwell, Winston Churchill's country home. We saw it when we visited a couple of years ago but I don't think it's the same Jock WC had! wink

SirChenjin Wed 17-Jul-19 12:08:58

I'm on a Poldark facebook group (my guilty secret...) and they have a bingo card which includes the sort of nonsense we love Poldark for - crashing waves, staring off into the middle distance, Dr Enys breaking hearts, Caroline showing her softer side, Demelza galloping on horseback. I love it grin

Jane10 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:29:33

Great idea SirChenjin. That sounds like fun. Must seek it out.
Yes it's irritating but I wouldn't like to miss an episode.
My grandparents dogs were always called Glen. Always collies.