Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poldark

(154 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 03-Jul-19 17:10:42

looking forward to this,,,the final series too

Calendargirl Sun 28-Jul-19 22:07:26

Yes, trouble at t’mill, cute little urchins, Demelza lolling in her hip bath being soaped by Ross- lucky Demelza!

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 22:10:46

That copper bath was a bit near that blazing fire. She'd better not lean on the wrong side of the bath.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jul-19 22:11:48

grin

merlotgran Sun 28-Jul-19 22:13:14

I don't want fruit loop George I want evil George.

SirChenjin Sun 28-Jul-19 22:26:06

He’ll be back to normal by next week - I did feel quite sorry for him though

SueDonim Mon 29-Jul-19 09:53:35

I was exhausted after that episode! grin So much going on.

And Horace was back! Woof woof!

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 10:04:27

I know! My Poldark bingo card was full last night - it was quite thrilling!

Hurrah for Horace - he was looking good, wasn't he? He hasn't aged a bit grin

EllanVannin Mon 29-Jul-19 11:16:26

I feel quite grubby after watching it----and no machine to wash all those clothes. Only Demelza and husband appear to bathe.

Maybe it's because I usually watch a Catherine Cookson film beforehand where that's also amongst the filthy streets with its equally filthy inhabitants. Yesterday it was "The Glass Virgin ".

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 11:35:37

I was left wondering who heated the water and filled the bath and who is going to empty it afterwards!
Ross or Prudie? Or does Demelza have to get her nightie wet slogging outside with jugs of water to empty it?

Jane10 Mon 29-Jul-19 11:40:23

Excellent point Callistemon. I doubt her sulky new maid would do it. She's obviously scheming to catch Ross's eye. Good luck to her.
Poor, poor George. I like him and his uncle even more now. The wee thing. Him and his bandy legs too. Awww.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 12:05:11

For a moment I thought that George was going to go over the cliff and take Dr Ennis with him!

I keep reminding myself how lovely Jack Farthing is supposed to be in Real Life!

tanith Mon 29-Jul-19 12:05:38

I was wondering how they’d empty the bath too ??

SirChenjin Mon 29-Jul-19 12:13:03

I wondered that too!

Poor George - he spent his childhood being bullied by Ross, he wasn't his wife's true love, and now she's dead and he's suffering from mental illness. I'm not surprised he's turned out the way he has - I think I'd hate Ross too if I was George.

Labaik Mon 29-Jul-19 13:03:22

Having not read the books, is this now completely removed from the original stories? I thought the series was said to be true to the original stories?

merlotgran Mon 29-Jul-19 13:35:20

This is the first series to veer away from the books, Labaik and all the poorer for it I think.

But then nothing happened for ten years after the last book so I suppose Debbie Horsefield had to make up something. grin

LullyDully Mon 29-Jul-19 13:38:58

And all so delightfully PC.

All we need is a transgender issue. ( still like it. )

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jul-19 14:05:41

Well I remember us having a tin bath in front of the fire, but I’ve never given the emptying of it a moment’s thought.

I can be fairly confident that it wasn’t a maid who did it though. grin

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 22:23:23

We had one in the garden, it caught rainwater to water Dad's greenhouse. I used to use a jugful to rinse my hair because our tap water was so hard.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 22:34:48

We had a tin (zinc?) in front of the fire. Not as close as Demelza's though. They used to empty it by the bowlful down the sink. Then pick the nearly empty bath up and tip the rest down. I remember it so clearly.

Poor old Prudie.

SueDonim Mon 29-Jul-19 22:35:51

Sirchenjin I rather think Horace may have eaten all the pies. He looks a little rotund. grin

My mum had neighbours who still used a tin bath right into the 1980's. They could easily have afforded a bathroom but chose not to send their money on installing one. They had a bath every Saturday night, whether they needed it or not.

Millie22 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:26:43

Only two more episodes to go and I'm finding this series tough going. I know it's all made up about the Ned storyline but it's soooo boring. Far too political for my liking and not enough in Cornwall. At least Drake and Morwenna are happy at last.

Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 16:35:06

I've actually missed a couple of episodes as I've been away and haven't, thus far, bothered to watch them on catchup. Mind you, I missed most of the last series and then binge watched it. I didn't quite get how letting go of her son made Morwenna suddenly get over being in that awful abusive relationship with the vicar.

MawB Mon 19-Aug-19 16:39:01

On the contrary Millie Ned Despard was very much a real person. - it’s Cap’n Ross who is the made up one!

inews.co.uk/culture/television/ned-despard-real-person-poldark-season-5-true-story-what-happened/

Jane10 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:46:32

I just can't care about any of the 'goodies' though. Sigh.

Millie22 Mon 19-Aug-19 17:04:20

O yes I didn't know and his wife was called Catherine so they've included a bit of real history.