Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Return of Strictly.

(560 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 08-Sep-19 07:52:03

Started this thread as a diversion from all the political ones.
Only watched the first half hour as I wasn’t that bothered who was partnered with who really. Find the launch show a bit drawn out TBH.
Realised I only knew 5 of the 15 contestants, but that will change as the weeks go on.
Liked Tess’s gown, thought Claudia’s outfit looked similar to the PVC macs we wore in the early 70’s.

Sara65 Sun 08-Dec-19 21:44:34

I really don’t want to believe there’s anything underhand going on, but Emma in the final?

LullyDully Mon 09-Dec-19 08:48:06

An Anton vote for sure.

I may even vote for the very first time..... for Karim. He has that floating on air quality of Astaire and Jean Kelly.

Kelvin and Oti are wonderful but Karin has something special for me. Will check how I vote on line maybe.

LullyDully Mon 09-Dec-19 08:49:13

PS just wondering why Emma does a Makaton " thank you", out of interest.

Charleygirl5 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:18:16

It should have been Emma and Chris in the dance-off and Chris would have had a very good chance of winning.

Next week Emma and Anton should be voted off first and it should then be between Kelvin and Karim. I think Kelvin will win but I do realise Karim is a superb dancer.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:31:34

I'd be happy if either wins - both fabulous in their own way. Agree Emma and Anton should go first.

Joyfulnanna Mon 09-Dec-19 09:42:11

Merlotgran you're right, it's a fix, like all reality shows.
I like Karim but his partner comes across very desperate to win and I agree their dances are technically good but there's something missing softness? because they're very competitive. Oti is struggling with her health, I noticed she's coughing alot. I do like her partnership with Kelvin. I think her sister has given fair reviews of all the dancers and it doesn't seem there is favouritism for Oti. I like Emma's work ethic. Actually refreshing this season not to hear about affairs between the couples the strictly curse

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 17:46:19

Did anybody else (like me) love seeing Carlos Acosta in the opening number of the Results Show?

That was real dancing was it not? ?

eazybee Mon 09-Dec-19 17:58:20

I was impressed by the gracious way in which the defeated finalists departed this week, (Chris) and (Alex) last week. No tears, and pouts or stunned disbelief, just Thank you for a wonderful time and Thank you for my wonderful partner and Thank you for my introduction to the wonderful world of dance.
So refreshing.

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Dec-19 19:15:47

Carlos Acosta - Wow! I've read about him but never been lucky enough to see him dance until this.

Calendargirl Mon 09-Dec-19 19:17:04

Yes, Carlos was great.

Joyfulnanna Tue 10-Dec-19 00:08:54

I want to know the skin secrets of tess and claud who have a combined age of 97!!

Joyfulnanna Tue 10-Dec-19 00:09:45

Tess is 50 claud 47..its unbelievable how taut their skin is

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 10-Dec-19 00:23:26

I stopped following and reading the comments on the Strictly facebook page because of the moans that judging/point/votes are fixed.

There was never any reasoning/evdence behind such comments.

Now I read the same here. BBC state on the website that the votes are independently verified.

Maybe there are a lot more viewers like me, in that on Saturday I voted for Emma (first time in the series). I had been voting for Karim up to that point.

DanniRae Tue 10-Dec-19 11:45:52

Why would they fix it? I don't see the sense in BBC doing that!!
tchconfused

Sara65 Tue 10-Dec-19 12:08:19

Maw

He was fantastic, I loved his dancing!

Dinahmo Wed 11-Dec-19 17:12:26

Sparklefizz There is an excellent film around at the moment about Carlos Acosta's life. It juxtaposes his life now, with his own dance company in Cuba and his childhood - discovering dance, learning and the time spent with various international companies. Well worth watching.

He's taking over the artistic direction of the Birmingham Royal Ballet next year and is still doing guest appearances so you may still be able to see him.

Dinahmo Wed 11-Dec-19 17:15:12

I think that Anton and Emma will win. It's just a public vote and the public have voted Karim down in the last two shows so I don't see any reason why they/we should change our opinion.

Emma has become quite good, but is not quite up to the standard of the other 2. But I think the public will favour Anton. Personally I find it difficult to chose between the two men.

AllotmentLil Wed 11-Dec-19 22:37:56

I liked Karim at first but somehow have gone off him and find his dancing a bit lacking in feeling. Kelvin is brilliant. Emma has improved so much and maybe this, and Anton’s popularity, will see her win. I find Tess so stilted on the programme but so relaxed and “ordinary” on It Takes Two. Love Claudia!

CoolioC Wed 11-Dec-19 23:26:36

I can proudly say, I have never watched one Strictly programme, never tuned in.

Sparklefizz Thu 12-Dec-19 07:39:24

Interesting, Coolio, that you have taken the trouble to come onto the Strictly thread to say that. grin

LullyDully Thu 12-Dec-19 08:04:57

And I never each darts, football,boxing or billiards!!!!!

Yehbutnobut Thu 12-Dec-19 08:10:22

Nor I the golf!

Yehbutnobut Thu 12-Dec-19 08:10:35

Or soaps.

LullyDully Thu 12-Dec-19 08:20:23

(Watch not each. Sorry. Predictive text again.)

Sparklefizz Thu 12-Dec-19 09:01:22

There is an excellent film around at the moment about Carlos Acosta's life. It juxtaposes his life now, with his own dance company in Cuba and his childhood - discovering dance, learning and the time spent with various international companies. Well worth watching.

Thanks for this, Dinahmo.