Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Giri/Haji

(28 Posts)
Esspee Sun 20-Oct-19 19:58:58

I have just finished watching the complete series. Although the violence is extreme the acting and the humour raises it way above the normal fare we get on British TV.
Is anyone else watching it?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:17:17

Have only watched the first one, will reserve judgment until I have watched the next.

Calendargirl Sun 20-Oct-19 20:23:04

Yes, I watched it. Shall watch next episode. Thought it ok, but noticed it got a rubbish review on a tv critic page.
Took a bit of following, might become clearer as it progresses.

Esspee Sun 20-Oct-19 20:24:14

How disciplined of you GrannyGravy13. When I find a series I like I end up binge watching it.

Esspee Sun 20-Oct-19 20:28:50

Will Sharpe was wonderful as Rodney and had some great lines.

Pittcity Sun 20-Oct-19 20:29:21

I've watched the first episode and found it humorous and intriguing.
We love iPlayer series and have just finished watching Thirteen which was great but had a rubbish, IMHO, ending.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:30:05

We are out and about a lot at the moment and struggling to watch any TV.

TerriBull Sun 20-Oct-19 21:01:24

I've watched the opening episode, thought it was very promising, I don't want to gallop through it so won't watch the whole lot on IPlayer back to back. Kelly MacDonald is an actress I like and good in most things.

gma Sun 20-Oct-19 21:37:58

I watched the first episode of Giri/Haji and thoroughly enjoyed it! I watched on iPlayer whilst DH was watching football! Fast moving, promising storyline and excellent cast! Resisted watching next episode, like to spread it out!! Although I might have an early night (whilst DH watches darts).and take iPad with me!!!

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:15:07

What an excellent programme.
The mixture of Japanese and British culture is so interesting. Great acting from everyone.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 10:03:28

I think Giri Haji ( shame/duty) is excellent.Good acting and believable dialogue, real edge of seat stuff.Have watched four episodes now.Yes Esspee Rodney has some great lines, doesn't he, and is a very good actor too.
The scenes in the Spanish Restaurant ( gang warfare!) were so well done, you felt you were there with them.

TerriBull Sat 02-Nov-19 10:57:04

Rodney is brilliant!

I'm another who enjoys the mix of Japanese/British culture. When my children were young we had a few Japanese ex pats in our area they both had Japanese class mates who they became good friends with. My younger son in particular was best friends with one little boy and they had lots of play dates together after school teas etc., his lovely mum managed to get my green vegetable hating son eating seaweed (willingly) which I thought was an amazing achievement at the time.

GrannyLondon Sat 02-Nov-19 11:01:14

Best thing I've seen on tele for a long time.

Mapleleaf Sat 02-Nov-19 22:38:25

It's got me hooked.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 22:44:21

Just off to watch yet another episode before bed with a brew

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 22:45:03

Although I may need something stronger wine

Pittcity Sun 03-Nov-19 08:09:29

I'm loving the feisty grandma.
Does the Japanese chief detective ever take his Mac off?

lemongrove Sun 03-Nov-19 22:24:29

Haha Pittcity.....only once!

Just watched the last episode....brilliant.

Gfplux Tue 19-Nov-19 13:44:39

Watch a great watch. More please

Labaik Tue 19-Nov-19 16:47:33

What channel is it on?

Pittcity Tue 19-Nov-19 20:20:10

It's on BBC iPlayer Labaik

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Nov-19 22:06:12

It's aired on BBC 2 Thursday 9 pm, although there's only 2 more episodes to go. It has been streamed onto iPlayer though as Pittcity says.
It's very good, worth catching up with.

rafichagran Thu 21-Nov-19 22:44:50

I am really enjoying this series.

Washerwoman Fri 06-Dec-19 07:33:26

Late to this series, and thread ,but DH and I have finally caught up and honestly think it's the best thing I've seen on ages.And I'm normally averse to anything with violent scenes and gangsters. But all the characters will stay in my head for ages,especially Rodney.Sublime acting.
Shows how wrong the critics can be.The Guardian one-not my usual read but like to check out varied opinions online - called it 'killer but no thriller ' and a 'bore' What the heck!So glad we decided to watch it.Hooked from the start.

Ginny42 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:37:43

Can't cope with violence.