Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Prince Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall.

(138 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 10:35:11

I really enjoyed watching this documentary. It made me realise that we are so used to Charles being the heir to the throne that once he's King he'll no longer be directly involved with the Duchy which is so obviously close to his heart.

They'll miss him and I wouldn't mind betting he'll miss them.

EllanVannin Fri 25-Oct-19 10:43:06

I too enjoyed the documentary. It made a pleasant change from all the sad news and was such a down to earth programme. An idyllic life in parts. Refreshing.

henetha Fri 25-Oct-19 10:49:23

I enjoyed it too. I think it showed what a good man he is, and making the best of a very difficult role in life.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 10:50:48

I quite enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want that posh Lady something checking up on me in my own home every so often. I think the whole Duchy thing sounds a bit 'Lord of the Manor v the (kindly (condescendingly?) treated) peasants thing'.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 10:51:35

And I bet many of the tenants aren't as happy about their Landlords as the programme made out.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 11:02:59

I enjoyed the programme. Like his mother he loves country life.

Luckygirl Fri 25-Oct-19 11:18:51

I felt sorry for the couple who were struggling to make ends meet in their duchy farm when HRH is sitting on a profit of - gulp! - £21 million per year!!!!

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 11:25:21

There was no mention of how much goes to charities

Calendargirl Fri 25-Oct-19 11:36:07

Probably a good job you’re not a tenant then Gonegirl.
They must be reasonable landlords surely or they wouldn’t be on third-generation family members who have carried on the farms. And I think it mentioned there are always lots of people wanting to be new tenants.
Charles inherited the Duchy when only 21. He must have had no end of professional help and advice, but the business has turned around from ‘hardly breaking even’ to the huge profits of today. It will be a tough legacy for William to take on, big shoes to fill.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 11:37:20

You wouldn't get me on a farm with cows on it calendargirl. grin

Calendargirl Fri 25-Oct-19 11:43:28

Oh Gonegirl, cows are ok. Nothing to fear from them!

NanaandGrampy Fri 25-Oct-19 12:07:15

I saw a snippet and have recorded it to watch when I have time. I thought it looked interesting .

phoenix Fri 25-Oct-19 12:14:20

Not sure why, but I've got doubts that Charles will ever be King.

Washerwoman Fri 25-Oct-19 12:22:59

My DH has done some work volunteering with the Prince's Trust and has immense respect for Prince Charles,and I increasingly do.Sure he has his faults-as we all do - and a life of immense privileges alongside the duty.But he has solidly supported causes that only now are being taken seriously.I'm going to watch this this afternoon.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Oct-19 12:31:03

It did confirm that "The Duchy" supports Charles and his descendants.

Which brings up the question that when William is Prince of Wales and takes over from his father it will provide for his descendants does that mean Harry is sidelined ?

I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 12:48:04

I think it will GrannyGravy but then he will have money for
public duties from us.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Oct-19 12:52:58

Anniebach I think Harry was left the majority of his mothers estate as she knew William would in all probability be King one day.

Sara65 Fri 25-Oct-19 13:03:25

I really enjoyed it, I’m a big Prince Charles fan, he’s undoubtedly a very privileged man, but has given so much back.

He just seems such a nice chap, I’d love to have Prince Charles and Camilla as neighbors, you could imagine them popping in for a cup of tea.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 13:06:17

GrannyGravy I just looked it up, equal shares for her sons

ginny Fri 25-Oct-19 13:08:39

I’m not a great fan of the RF as such but I did enjoy watching this. He came over very well but I found some of the bowing and scraping a bit much.

Anniebach, there was a mention in the commentary about charity but I can’t remember what it said.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Oct-19 13:23:06

Anniebach thank you, I have no idea why I thought that.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 13:26:36

I enjoyed it too. Charles is a countryman at heart and I liked the fact that he gives young people who do not come from a farming background a chance to become Duchy tenants and become farmers, much as he does with the Prince's Trust.

I was just reading in the local paper about a young man who was setting up a business and, although he was passionate about his product, did not have the business nous to carry this forward. The Prince's Trust has given him valuable business support for two years and his business is now successful.

Much goes on behind the scenes that we rarely hear about.
The press seem only interested in the salacious stories.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 13:28:39

that posh Lady something
Although she sounded posh I thought she seemed friendly, supportive and down-to-earth.

Calendargirl Fri 25-Oct-19 13:33:37

phoenix

I think the only reason Charles does not become king is if he pre-deceases the Queen. He looks pretty fit, but he is nearly 71 and HM has long living genes....

Calendargirl Fri 25-Oct-19 13:34:38

P.S.

I hope not, poor Charles has been waiting in the wings for soooo long.