Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Prince Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall.

(139 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 10:35:11

I really enjoyed watching this documentary. It made me realise that we are so used to Charles being the heir to the throne that once he's King he'll no longer be directly involved with the Duchy which is so obviously close to his heart.

They'll miss him and I wouldn't mind betting he'll miss them.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 13:53:26

The royal family never disclose what they donate to charities,
The Princes Trust helps so many but all the media covers is
negative stuff .

Charles has been heir since he was 3 years old, his life mapped out from that time .

We hear how young Diana was, same with William and Harry ,
but 3 years of age , no say in running his own life.

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 15:09:49

I think you only have to look at Highgrove to see how passionate Prince Charles is about his commitments. OK, he has a team of 11 gardeners but it's his much loved home. He has inherited the Queen's love of country life so his long tenure as Duke of Cornwall has given him the chance to embrace it and support those working in agriculture.

I hope Prince William encourages George to play a part as he is growing up because it could pass on to him when he is very young.

I can't make up my mind about Poundbury though. It all looks a bit 'Trumpton' and although affordable houses were given a brief mention, nobody actually said how much!! hmm

Looks like a lovely place to live though.

Harris27 Fri 25-Oct-19 15:11:35

I loved it. But I do like all the behind the.
Scenes of the royals. Showed him in a very good light.

Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 15:47:31

We stopped off and had a walk round Poundbury. It was so dead. There were a few children with their mums and dads playing in the kids playground, and a few people sitting around in a coffee shop, but there was no life to the place. I don't think we passed anyone on the roads as we went round.

Sparklefizz Fri 25-Oct-19 20:38:16

I have just watched the programme on catch-up and really enjoyed it. I already knew that Charles worked hard as I'e watched other documentaries about him before, and I suspect (like the Queen and also Princess Anne) that they would have preferred to live a country life.

I am glad William is the older son because he seems to be on a similar wave length and was reassuring tenants that nothing much would change. God knows what Harry and Meghan would have done with it but I don't think farming the land would have been a priority.

Charles has done brilliantly in building up the Duchy when he took it on at such a young age. William is already that much older, and he and Katherine are keen on gardens and the countryside so I think they will do a good job.

As someone said on the programme, Charles was seen as eccentric decades ago but he was ahead of his time. Well done to him for sticking to his guns.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 21:16:46

Surely he won’t have to leave Highgrove, he loves that place and it his own property .

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 21:21:00

No. Why would he?

annep1 Fri 25-Oct-19 21:28:11

Of course its Lord of the Manor/ peasants thing just as it was in the 1340s.

Charles may be nice but it doesn't make it right for a king to own the land and be able to give it to others to collect rent from those who live there.

From 2017.

amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-duchy-of-cornwall-36299273.html

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 21:31:31

True merlot I doubt William and Catherine will move there , they have a house in Sandringham.

But when Charles is King will they leave Kensington Palace for
Clarence House ?

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 22:03:19

Do you not think that anyone should be a landlord or landlady annep1?

Giving young people a chance to get into farming by renting a farm is a wonderful opportunity because , unless they inherit a farm, there is little or no chance of young people buying one.

County Councils used to offer these opportunities with their County farms, but there are far fewer of these than there used to be.

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 22:06:38

I wonder, Annie They all go up a notch when the Queen dies but what will happen to the key properties?

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 22:17:09

merlot trying to recall the moves when the queen took the throne, she inherited Sandringham snd Balmoral , the Queen Mother and Margaret moved into Clarence House. And there were the Kents and .gloucsters then.

When the queen mother died Charles moved into Clarence House. Now the family is smaller so who knows who moves where.

Harry and Megan have an apartment in Buck House , perhaps they will move to KP again for their London residence

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 22:20:23

They may well do, Annie but only if the Cambridges move out first. grin

I wonder where Beatrice and her husband will live?

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 22:23:10

merlot who will get Clarence House ? Interesting . A lot of properties for a much smaller family.

Calendargirl Fri 25-Oct-19 22:23:17

What happened to Harry’s sweet little Nottingham Cottage at K.P. when he and Meghan moved into Frogmore? Will it be Beatrice and fiancé ‘s home when they marry perhaps?

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 22:26:02

I have sorted it ?, save on security. Charles and Camilla in Buck House, William and Kate in Clarence House, put all the others into KP

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 22:27:12

What about that whacking great apartment next door to William and Kate that the Gloucesters want to downsize from?

How much did the renovations cost?

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 22:31:06

I heard William and Kate are extended their apartment, perhaps knocking two into one ?

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 22:32:49

Maybe they'll feature on Homes Under the Hammer?

annep1 Fri 25-Oct-19 22:33:30

I don't object to landlords Callistemon. Its the monarchy owning so much in the first place that I object to.

Anniebach Fri 25-Oct-19 22:43:28

They don’t own many, the queen owns two.

Anne owns one

Edward owns one

William and Kate own one which the queen gave them , at Sandringham.

Charles owns two.

The other properties are not owned by the monarchy

annep1 Fri 25-Oct-19 22:50:22

So much land...

merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 22:53:47

Land which provides jobs and homes for many people.

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 04:07:23

And a huge unnecessary income to PC.

Newquay Sat 26-Oct-19 06:54:49

There was a telling throwaway comment Charles made that sums it all up-Keep paying your rent!
I’m with OP Anne, I find RF quite obscene. Absolute scroungers the lot of them-don’t know a true day’s work and all at our expense. We must be mad IMHO!