Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Prince Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall.

(139 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 10:35:11

I really enjoyed watching this documentary. It made me realise that we are so used to Charles being the heir to the throne that once he's King he'll no longer be directly involved with the Duchy which is so obviously close to his heart.

They'll miss him and I wouldn't mind betting he'll miss them.

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:33:34

Exactly Eloethan, that's how they acquired their fortune. Totally wrong and not comparable to those who worked hard for what they have.
People who acquire their wealth from ancestors who didn't achieve it by honest means should have it confiscated. Imo.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 10:41:45

does this apply to everyone who inherits family property
annepl ?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:42:25

Oh dear, does that mean I should not be allowed to leave my mansion and acres to my DC and that the state should confiscate it?
Is the fact that it has increased considerably in value since we bought it somehow dishonest?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:43:00

Communism does not work

Alexa Sat 26-Oct-19 10:43:51

Whew, isn't he rich! I enjoyed that programme. The feudal system is alive and flourishing ,today ,in Britain.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:43:58

annepl I totally disagree with your post.

Should we have our business confiscated on our death, depriving 3 of our children their livelihood along with all,our employees.........?????

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 10:45:33

Anyone who inherits a family home must prove the person they inherited the property from paid all their taxes ?

aggie Sat 26-Oct-19 10:51:16

Oh dear ! I enjoyed the programme .
What happened in some countries when the land was confiscated and town dwellers were made to farm it ? The place went to wrack and ruin , far better having centuries of farming experience , be it tenant or inherited from the “gentry”
Back to Charles , he has turned the land back to production and is giving employment

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:51:39

We did, Anniebach, but proving it over 50+ years could be difficult!

If you call it feudal
Oxford University owns much of Britain too - one of my ancestors worked for the "feudal university" and the system is still going strong today.

The Forestry Commission
C of E
NT
RSPB
The Army
A Danish entrepreneur owns much of Scotland

Why not confiscate it all including anything privately owned, and put it into the hands of the state?

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:52:06

Some silly comments here. I think people know what I mean.
I'm not going to try to explain what history books will explain much better.

Communism doesn't work. I agree.

Providing an income.. definitely not minimum wage!.

I'm off. ?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:53:04

aggie anyone who knows anything at all about eg Zimbabwe will know how disastrous that has turned out to be.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:54:59

Not silly but logical conclusions based on actual knowledge of what happens when property eg farms, is confiscated by the state.

aggie Sat 26-Oct-19 10:58:58

Callistemon even before that , I was thinking of Russia

aggie Sat 26-Oct-19 10:59:13

And China

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 11:08:12

Everything state owned ? Try living in a council owned property , they have the right to inspect your property when they wish, not just for repairs, I mean inspect your bedroom,

Eloethan Sat 26-Oct-19 12:45:33

Who has said everything should be state owned?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 12:50:02

Charley Boy can do no wrong

I'm sure he can Luckygirl grin but, as far as his care for the land, the interest in his tenants who farm the land and his charitable work helping enterprising young people, I think he is to be applauded.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Oct-19 13:01:23

I agree Callistemon - but I was just trying to contrast this tendency to look for positives in Charles' behaviour and gloss over his faults with the general nit-picking and unkindness (indeed spite) that H & M seem to attract.

They are all living in a strange bubble that it is hard to know how one might deal with - but I think it is good to be even-handed when judging their behaviour.

I too found the programme interesting and Charles' love of the land is heartening; but the forelock-tugging was a bit much.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 13:08:31

I don't think I've been unkind about M and H but I do think they need better advice than they are receiving at the moment. They have a whole new team of advisers and perhaps that is why their PR is now a disaster.

Perhaps it's time for a slimming down of the RF and for them both to take a back seat and adopt a lower profile.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 13:23:03

Gloss over Charles faults ? No member of the royal family has been criticised as much as Charles .

Luckgirl Harry and Megan are Criticised for the attention they are seeking , they keep putting themselves forward as victims .

What has Charles said / done to criticise, he never speaks of his private life, doesn’t crave the camera

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Oct-19 13:38:00

The thing is, H & M don't seem to have any logic. They make an announcement to say that they are not going to announce Archie's birth ......

Ditto announcements to say that they are not going to announce the Godparents, Christening details or provide photos.

Then they do provide photos but in South Africa, presumably to boost the documentary which we didn't know was about to come.

Then they used the media and the documentary to complain about the media confused
and also Meghan managed to complain about the RF and her new husband!

You couldn't make it up.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 14:15:53

Megan chaired a meeting for young people in Windsor Castle
yesterday on gender equality in the commonwealth and around the world, Harry drove her and attended the meeting, he looked so uncomfortable

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1195978/prince-harry-news-meghan-markle-body-language-royal-family-latest

merlotgran Sat 26-Oct-19 14:43:03

Empowering women again?

Do you think Harry might be getting a little bit bored?

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 16:45:00

Well, when I saw that in the Mail I thought how happy and relaxed he looked.

Eye of the beholder?

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 16:46:07

Btw, never read the Express about the royals. They hate them.