Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Prince Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall.

(139 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 25-Oct-19 10:35:11

I really enjoyed watching this documentary. It made me realise that we are so used to Charles being the heir to the throne that once he's King he'll no longer be directly involved with the Duchy which is so obviously close to his heart.

They'll miss him and I wouldn't mind betting he'll miss them.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 16:50:24

TheMail always has the best pictures too

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 17:15:41

Again he looked out of his comfort zone , since when has spoken out on gender equality?

Next he will be condemning his favourite sport which he gave up last year

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 17:20:56

He looked perfectly comfortable. He is being supportive of his wife.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Oct-19 17:38:38

I thought he looked fine too!

I am beginning to sound like a royalist, which I am not; but I do think a bit of fairness is in order.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 17:53:53

Yes gonegirl he is being supportive of his wife, that seems to be his role now.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 17:55:06

Well, it's quite an important role at the moment, whilst she finds feet.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 17:55:24

her feet

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 17:59:28

Surely it should be both ways ?

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Oct-19 18:07:52

Yes Annie it should be both ways, you're right.

At the moment she finishes his sentences, talks over him, talks about him in front of him as if he's a child (as in the Africa Tour documentary) and he just stands there and looks at her.

I have never heard him speak out on gender equality or female empowerment. Strikes me that Meghan is already pretty empowered! Suspect Harry could do with a bit of empowerment himself!

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 18:09:44

I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

Give them time.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Oct-19 18:36:49

Indeed - they need time. They are a new couple and a new family trying to find their feet in the glare of publicity.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 18:49:11

I disagree sorry, she seeks publicity .

Eloethan Sat 26-Oct-19 19:08:13

You have your heroes (eg "queenie*, Prince Charles) and your villains, don't you anniebach (eg Meghan, Diana, Corbyn).

In reality, there is no such thing as a perfect person. Most people, save perhaps for out and out psychopaths, behave well sometimes and less well at others. Sometimes the bad that they do outweighs the good and vice versa. And, of course, to some extent it's a matter of opinion as to whether a person is OK or not OK.

Pantglas2 Sat 26-Oct-19 19:14:45

Don’t we all Eloethan? Aren’t all opinions valid or only those which agree with your own? I’ve disagreed with Anniebach on some things but would never invalidate her opinion or her right to express it without fear of ridicule or disparagement. Sometimes we simply have to agree to differ.

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 19:31:11

Post not poster Eloethan.

And Corbyn is not a member of the royal family

Pantglas2 Sat 26-Oct-19 19:44:59

I also think the words heroes and villains are too extreme ... maybe we admire some members of RF on balance more than others but that may be that their track records are better than others. That’s not to say that newcomers can’t recover lost ground of course.....

Anniebach Sat 26-Oct-19 19:45:34

In my opinion

I feel strongly against men who control their wives, she stops mixing with her friends, wears clothes he approves of no matter if they are not her choice , we have all known them surely

For me it’s the same with Megan and Harry, since they have married , no Balmoral, no grouse shooting, isolated from his extended family, he even cancelled a rugby event to attend a premiere of The Lion King which happened to star one of her new bestie’s, Beyonce .

She even referred to her husband as ‘him’ in public. When has she used his Christian name ?

Bridgeit Sat 26-Oct-19 20:25:22

Eloethan, they will not see it , ........ always reminds of Les Dawson’s humour , you know the folded arms & that saying he had for his character, ie ‘ Ohhh she’s no better than she ought to be ‘ ?

AllotmentLil Sat 26-Oct-19 21:41:33

I agree with Callistemon 100% - a balanced view of things. The RF does need to be slimmed down but give credit where it’s due and I think it’s due to PC. When the H and M do something credit worthy I hope we’ll respect them too - at the moment I’m in two minds about them ...

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 21:49:14

I think Harry is allowing Meghan to take the limelight at an event where she is the main speaker, not him.
Well done to him for going along too.

She is often the 'plus one' where he is the main guest.

travelsafar Sun 27-Oct-19 08:16:24

Getting back to the subject of the original post, i watched this program and throughly enjoyed it. It was gentle, an eye opener into another world for many of us and showed a side of Prince Charles that endorses how many people feel about the countryside, climate change, organic farming etc. Looking forward to watching the nex episode.

Anniebach Sun 27-Oct-19 09:27:53

He was so ridiculed when he started speaking out about organic farming , climate change etc

Hetty58 Sun 27-Oct-19 09:30:52

I don't think Charles wants to be King if he can avoid it.

Anniebach Sun 27-Oct-19 10:11:11

He can’t avoid it but I think it will bring much hurt to him.

Some don’t want him as king because of Diana, some because of Camilla and some because of his age , they will want him to abdicate for William to take the crown.

So unfair, he cares deeply for this country and has been schooled for it since he was 3 years old.

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 11:29:00

I think Charles will make a good king, albeit in a different way to his mother perhaps. I also think Camilla will be a supportive consort.
He won’t abdicate to let William come to the throne earlier, and I am sure William doesn’t want the job any sooner than necessary.