Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown

(99 Posts)
grapefruitpip Mon 18-Nov-19 09:23:30

Oh dear, I only lasted about 10 minutes. The first series was utterly brilliant.

Jane10 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:45:43

I enjoyed it. Olivia Coleman is just too Olivia Coleman but I'm getting used to her. I think the big brown eyes are a jarring note. Also didn't Margaret use to have piercing blue eyes? Small points but they do completely spoil any physical resemblance.

grapefruitpip Tue 19-Nov-19 20:45:58

Well said Grannyknot, and what a shame.

Harris27 Tue 19-Nov-19 20:49:05

I’m still loving it. Got my head around the new characters and find the new series really good. I’m. Loving all the revelations and up to episode 8 as I’ve downloaded as I’ve watched this. Keep going it’s good.

Chestnut Tue 19-Nov-19 23:15:14

Why is everyone misspelling Colman as Coleman? It's just not that difficult.

SparklyGrandma Tue 19-Nov-19 23:23:35

I have watched all of series 3. It was a bit hard to get stuck into the new actors portraying the characters, but I loved or appreciated;

Princess Anne. What a funny and tough cookie.
Prince Charles and how he was denied his first real love. Heartbreaking. Then we know he had an arranged disastrous marriage.
Prince Philip. I liked this actor better. He played him as horribly brutal.
Harold Wilson, and teary eyed when in last PM meeting with the Queen. What a champ!

I think it’s a very fictionalised version of events, but if the Charles + Camilla manipulation is even only 20% accurate, he zooms up in my estimation.

Jane10 Wed 20-Nov-19 06:39:13

Chestnut I read your previous GN spellcheck post before I posted and carefully spelt out Olivia's surname. It was only on reading your second post about spelling that I looked back and found that my phone had added in the extra e. It happens. My own surname is rarely spelt correctly but I don't let that bother me far less complain if other people spell other peoples' names wrong. smile

Calendargirl Wed 20-Nov-19 06:56:01

Chestnut

Thanks for explanation, understand meaning now!
I totally agree with you about bad language at award ceremonies. Not clever to swear constantly when making obligatory acceptance speech, they must think it amusing, but often means they have enjoyed the hospitality too much.

grapefruitpip Wed 20-Nov-19 08:32:38

It's just not that difficult

It's just not that important.

Grannyknot Wed 20-Nov-19 09:02:09

Definitely not important enough to me to spell her surname correctly. People misspell my first name - and my surname all the time (shrug).

Chestnut Wed 20-Nov-19 09:12:23

As Grandma70s said earlier, it is only polite to get people's names right and I'm with her on that.

Jane10 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:34:03

Nobody ever said GN was polite!

Grannyknot Wed 20-Nov-19 12:50:25

I don't think it's impolite to make a genuine mistake. I don't chase people who make mistakes with my name down, demanding an apology because I don't think they are being impolite.

Grandma70s Wed 20-Nov-19 12:54:52

Neither do I, Grannyknot, but it is easy enough not to make the mistake twice, and easy to find the right spelling for well-known people.

Jane10 Wed 20-Nov-19 13:14:25

Tell my phone's spellcheck that!! I doubt Olivia Whatsit cares anyway.

Chestnut Wed 20-Nov-19 16:14:17

Just looking at the badly chosen picture of Olivia Colman (as the Queen) on the front cover of this week's Radio Times. She has a sneer on her face. Not a good look. I don't remember the Queen ever having such an expression.

Jane10 Wed 20-Nov-19 16:37:29

Dear Olivia Coleman,
On the off-chance that you might be reading the posting forums on Gransnet, it has been pointed out to me by a person who doesn't understand phones with a mind of their own, that, despite me typing in COLMAN it insists on changing it to Coleman. Please accept my grovelling apologies as I know you'll be completely unaccustomed to this and obviously distraught.
I'm so so so sorry about this (and other aspects of this thread)
Will that do Chestnut?

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 17:06:17

I can't stand Olivia Colman and wouldn't go the length of my nose to see her in anything.

Jane43 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:48:07

I have watched two more episodes and am getting used to the new actors. I found the Aberfan episode very moving and the episode featuring Prince Philip’s mother was interesting and made me want to find out more about her. The Queen during this period was much more attractive than she is being portrayed. Series three isn’t as good as series two but it’s very far ahead of a lot of the dramas on offer.

annodomini Wed 20-Nov-19 19:31:16

Olivia Coleman has striking brown eyes which in close-up cannot be ignored. The Queen has blue eyes as has Claire Foy.
Disappointing casting.

HurdyGurdy Thu 21-Nov-19 18:27:56

I very much looked forward to watching Series 3, as I was totally drawn in with the first two series.

But oh my goodness, I am finding it just so hard going. The main actors just don't seem interested in their characters and the storylining is just dull.

As I type, I am "watching" (i.e. it is on in the same room) the moon landing episode and I am seriously wondering if I can stand to watch any further episodes.

Very disappointed.

merlotgran Thu 21-Nov-19 22:15:27

According to DH, whenever we've just watched an episode of The Crown, I start talking like the Queen. shock grin

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 23:15:58

Jane10 yes, Margaret was in fact extremely beautiful with blue, almost violet, eyes.
The Queen was far more attractive and younger at that time than Olivia Colman whom I thought had been miscast when I saw her being interviewed and saw excerpts.
Interesting that Helena Bonham Carter is older (53) than Olivia Colman (45) in RL.

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 23:16:57

I always imagine that is how you speak all the time merlotgran
grin

merlotgran Thu 21-Nov-19 23:39:58

grin grin

Apparently, when I put the dogs out before going to bed, instead of my usual, 'Get on with it for God's sake!' I call out, (in a sweet little voice) 'Be quick, come along now, be quick!' grin

He's hearing things. Must be his medication.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 10:38:14

I hope you put your crown on before you venture outside, merlotgran

crown