Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Live theatre performances

(28 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-Nov-19 19:46:46

Just booked at our local Arts Centre to see the Old Vic Production of Present Laughter. It’s the first time I have booked for a live production. I’m quite excited about it and we don’t have to travel to London to see it.

For the more experienced of you who do this regularly, do you have an Interval as it is live ?

Smileless2012 Thu 28-Nov-19 19:49:50

It depends on the length of the production NanKate. We went to two at our local theatre, one had an interval and the other didn't.

Hope you enjoy itsmile.

Lisagran Thu 28-Nov-19 19:50:25

Yes, the ones I’ve seen had an interval. Enjoy! They’re very well presented.

MiniMoon Thu 28-Nov-19 20:34:17

I go to the local theatre, and support the amateur players and choral societies.
Recently DH and I went to see The Sound of Music put on by a local choral society.
There was an interval of about half an hour. Long enough to get refreshments, and I've creams for the girls sitting in front of us.

NanKate Thu 28-Nov-19 21:00:02

Yes we go to most of the local productions and are usually very impressed. This is the first time we have been to a play which is being broadcast from a London Theatre.

Greyduster Thu 28-Nov-19 22:04:30

You can usually order your refreshments before the performance starts and then you won’t have to queue at interval time! Have a good time!

MawB Thu 28-Nov-19 22:20:59

I should have been at it tonight but took one look at the weather (torrential rain) and chickened out! I am sure you will have enjoyed it.
Yes there will be an interval when they often do a talk about the play or peep backstage.
At the live streamed Glyndebourne performances they tend to start earlier so as to make allowances for the long “dinner interval”.
I think these live streamings or “encore” streamings are a great idea!

MawB Thu 28-Nov-19 22:23:05

Sorry tgat was completely the wrong way round! I meant later as Glyndebourne usually starts mid afternoon so they show a recording of the first act with a shortish interval and then it goes live for the second act.

Alygran Thu 28-Nov-19 22:35:01

Just returned from our local Forum where this was on. It started at 7 and there was an interval. Before the play started the cast and director spoke about the play. All very enjoyable. I knew the director as a little boy when I was a teenager and did babysitting.. it was quite emotional to see him on screen. I knew his parents well and he is very like them both.

DoraMarr Thu 28-Nov-19 22:37:07

I’ve just come back from seeing “Present Laughter” and it was very good. It’s not the same as being at a live performance, but still good, and as I live next door to the arts centre it’s great to be able to see plays, operas and ballets I’d otherwise have to travel to see. Cheaper, too! Enjoy!
P.s. yes, there is an interval, of about 15-20 minutes.

mcem Thu 28-Nov-19 23:30:40

We've just missed out on live streaming of Les Miserables (2 Dec) as tickets sold out so quickly.
Have seen several others and thoroughly enjoyed them.
It was interesting to attend the live performance of Othello at Stratford while it was being streamed to cinemas country-wide!
(Hugh Quarshie of Holby City was excellent as Othello.)

starbird Thu 28-Nov-19 23:42:09

I have also come back from seeing ‘Present Laughter’ it was very good - Andrew Scott is brilliant. The interval was about 20 minutes so it is a bit of a rush for the loo if the cinema is full as ours was. If it is on again I would go and see it again!

Deedaa Fri 29-Nov-19 17:58:38

Wasn't able to get to Present Laughter, but saw Twelfth Night from the RSC in the summer and I'm going to see the Winter's Tale next week.

Mypennyfarthing41 Fri 29-Nov-19 18:15:04

Where are these places that show streamed live performances. I know opera from Covent garden is streamed in our local cinema wonderful performances too. But where else can you see them ?

Parsley3 Fri 29-Nov-19 18:19:09

I saw this last night at my local arts centre. If you look on the ntlive website you can find out where the next screenings are.

Lisagran Fri 29-Nov-19 19:45:21

ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/

Mypennyfarthing41

NanKate Fri 29-Nov-19 19:49:01

We have an Arts Centre in the next town to us. I suggest if you are interested in Present Laughter you look up The Old Vic and see if they say where they are streaming it. It’s a good way to see plays/ballet etc at a reasonable price near your own home.

lemongrove Fri 29-Nov-19 21:07:28

There’s usually an interval NanKate ( never not been, in my experience.)

NanKate Fri 29-Nov-19 21:12:15

Thanks Lemongrove. I didn’t know if streaming a play from a theatre was done in real time when there would be an interval, or if it is a recording on the play.

annep1 Fri 29-Nov-19 21:30:31

Sometimes there's an interval.
I love the NT broadcasts, they're sometimes better than live as you have a better view of the stage.
We are going to Present Laughter on Sunday. Saw Hansard recently. Very good. Weve had the Nutcracker as well.

grannydarkhair Sun 01-Dec-19 01:46:31

I've seen a few operas this way and last year saw Ian McKelken's King Lear which was superb.

Nannarose Sun 01-Dec-19 07:53:46

The ones I've been to had an interval , just like the performance. They did interviews with the cast, directors and others, it was like superior programme notes. I really liked them. Not the same as being there, but given the fuss and money saved, very worthwhile!

annep1 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:58:31

We went to Present Laughter today.
There was one interval of 20 minutes.
I must warn you, we thought an interval was starting earlier on and people went out to the foyer but it only lasted a minute. Lots of interruptions as they returned having missed some of it. It was quite funny (I wasn't feeling well so not a good judge).

annep1 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:01:23

starbird I agree. Andrew Scott was indeed brilliant. I'm sure he is exhausted each night.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 21:49:30

We are great fans of The Mikron Theatre troupe, they travel canals by narrowboat bringing their plays to many places in the UK.There are only four performers all young and talented who can act, sing, dance and play a musical instrument.
They often perform outdoor or in pubs / village halls/ hotels.
Obviously it’s not always the same four performers ( it’s been going since the 70’s.)
The last performance we went to was a couple of months ago, can’t remember the name, but was about the work of the
WRENS during the last war.It was wonderful, funny and touching.