Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Elizabeth is Missing

(87 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 07-Dec-19 12:56:19

This drama is on BBC 1 tomorrow at 9 pm and should be worth watching. I read the book several years ago and was very moved by it.It deals sensitively with the topic of dementia and has a very good storyline as well which was engrossing.The drama stars Glenda Jackson as Maud.If you are looking for something light hearted this is not for you but I would recommend it.If you do watch it ,please comment.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 22:42:11

DH had not read the book.
His comment was 'That was very powerful'.

dragonfly46 Sun 08-Dec-19 22:48:50

I loved the book and this was so well done. Glenda Jacksomwas magnificent.

JenniferEccles Sun 08-Dec-19 22:56:27

It was such a powerful performance wasn’t it? Such wonderful acting. I guess G.J must be nearly 80 by now?

It must have been almost unbearable viewing though for some going through this terrible disease in their family.

SalsaQueen Sun 08-Dec-19 23:00:54

Just watched this. It was brilliantly acted. Dementia is such an awful illness. I worked as a carer for many years and went to dozens of people with the same terrible disease. So sad.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 23:01:27

I think she's 83 JE

GardenerGran Sun 08-Dec-19 23:15:28

So we’ll acted, and so reminded me of my Mum in her last year or two. It really struck a cord and left me in tears. I’d read the book when Mum was still alive and seeing the programme now was upsetting but it was very well done.

GardenerGran Sun 08-Dec-19 23:16:23

Well not we’ll.

Elrel Sun 08-Dec-19 23:22:36

DD gave me the book a few years ago. I thought it very perceptive. She then read it and found it disturbing.

I too thought the tv version would be a series and was pleased it wasn’t. Glenda Jackson was excellent and it was a good adaptation but I found it disturbing. A close friend is now showing increasing signs of forgetfulness, another has rapidly developed severe dementia.
Although I’ve signed up to be a Dementia Friend that seems the least I could do. I feel the situation is so sad for so many older people and wonder whether it may happen to me.
Wishing strength to all who are coping with this awful condition affecting their loved ones.

sue421 Sun 08-Dec-19 23:25:50

Just watched it....gripping...took a little to understand plot as I hadn't read the book thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eloethan Sun 08-Dec-19 23:53:25

I read the book too. I remember I thought it very well written but I did find it depressing.

I'd obviously forgotten just how down it had made me feel. Perhaps if I had remembered, I wouldn't have been so keen to watch this drama - and recommend it to a friend. It was hardly a happy 90 minutes but Glenda Jackson portrayed this character and her plight so well, and the rest of the cast were excellent too.

Frightening though.

Glenda Jackson is an absolute marvel. Several years as an MP and then to return, at a quite advanced age, to acting. Her reviews in the role of King Lear were glowing - a remarkable achievement after so long away from acting.

love0c Mon 09-Dec-19 03:47:20

Watched it with my husband and we both really enjoyed it. It was not quite as we thought it would be and also didn't actually find it as depressing as we thought. Neither of us had read the book so it was totally new to us.

hillwalker70 Mon 09-Dec-19 06:40:43

Glenda Jackson, class act, excellent film, hope it wins some awards.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Dec-19 07:36:37

Fantastic I thought it was going to be a series so was surprised it was a one off but I think that was right Glenda outdid herself fantastic to be able to be so powerful at 83
Parts took me back to my mum. When she was so angry feeling out of control and I spent so long trying to be patient and understanding but every now and then it would overtake me and I d snap at her then hate myself for weeks afterwards
Very very good, enjoy isn’t the right word, but I was in there with her and an actress can’t ask more than that

travelsafar Mon 09-Dec-19 07:49:59

It was awful how poor Maud was stuck between the present and the past. When she realised her friend was missing and no one told her where she was was so sad.] If that happened to me or my best friend of nearly 40 years i would be devestated and so would she. I thought the acting was brilliant on all parts but of course GJ topped them all, such a powerful role for her to play. Another success for the BBC smile and an brilliant example of how you don't need special effects and lots of red herrings. Think recent War of the Worlds.......just a good story line and fantastically skilled actors or actresses.

Sara65 Mon 09-Dec-19 07:55:11

Heartbreaking, I was crying by the end, felt so sorry for the daughter and granddaughter as well.

I told my husband it wasn’t his sort of thing, because it was so much like his poor mum ended up, I thought he’d find it too depressing.

Glenda Jackson was magnificent, and the adaptation was done extremely well.

Yehbutnobut Mon 09-Dec-19 08:11:23

Wow! So glad I watched that. Excellent all round and what an actress Glenda Jackson still is.

sodapop Mon 09-Dec-19 08:25:17

I agree with everyone else, a brilliant and moving performance by Glenda Jackson. I thought the impact of Dementia on the rest of the family was well portrayed too Sara65

aggie Mon 09-Dec-19 08:32:25

I wasn't going to warch this , I am not in a good place for sadness , but I am glad did .

Greyduster Mon 09-Dec-19 08:41:36

We watched this and Glenda Jackson was mesmerising as Maud. It was very close to home for DH and I at the moment though. I thought the production was faithful to Emma Healey’s book, which is all the more remarkable for being her debut novel.

ayse Mon 09-Dec-19 08:45:54

Reading all the comments, I might give it a try. Glenda Jackson was/is a great actor

Nortsat46 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:15:03

We didn’t feel quite up to watching this programme but will do so, when the time is right. I agree what a great actor.

A few year ago, I was in Westminster Undergound Station, on my way to Parliament for a work thing. I stopped at the newsagent to buy a paper. A woman in a beautiful red coat, held the shop door open for me and said a smiling ‘Good Morning’. I smiled, wished her ‘Good Morning’ and ‘thank you’. As she walked away, I realised is was Glenda Jackson (then MP).

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:21:42

On the back burner until I feel up to watching it.

But agree it is a must see.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:23:29

How old is Glenda now?

JenniferEccles Mon 09-Dec-19 09:30:55

Apparently she is 83.

There aren’t many powerful roles for folk that age which is a shame as they have so much to give.

Annaram1 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:33:00

Saw the program last night. What an excellent actress Glenda is, and also the others in the film. My husband had Alzheimers. He could be difficult to manage at times, poor man. RIP.