Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Elizabeth is Missing

(87 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 07-Dec-19 12:56:19

This drama is on BBC 1 tomorrow at 9 pm and should be worth watching. I read the book several years ago and was very moved by it.It deals sensitively with the topic of dementia and has a very good storyline as well which was engrossing.The drama stars Glenda Jackson as Maud.If you are looking for something light hearted this is not for you but I would recommend it.If you do watch it ,please comment.

ayse Wed 11-Dec-19 12:28:23

Just finished watching it this morning. What an excellent performance by all concerned. It makes me wonder how everyone manages with degenerative conditions and how their families can know what to do for the best.

This confirmed my decision that my children should not have me living with them, whatever the circumstances. BTW, Western Australia has just passed a law to allow voluntary assisted dying.

endlessstrife Wed 11-Dec-19 12:48:07

We really enjoyed this, the comparison made between her present day mind deteriorating to forgetfulness, against the long term memory returning, such that she could remember what happened to her sister. A very serious issue dealt with, with some humour. Perfect!

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:49:55

Bluebell ''I now understand jura so is it done through the doctor or do you have to go to the clinic I m afraid I wouldn’t be able to go through the too early bit, ever an optimist me I d be thinking next week might be better etc''

I hesitate to say too much about this, as I know it is very close in many ways to event in some GN members. But I will answer your questions best I can and will always be happy to answer anymore by pm.

Multiple personal experiences show that, yes, next day might be better- but the decline will happen and probably faster than you think. So it is indeed a very very hard choice- but one we have made- too early is much much better than too late- because too late means the choice is taken away from you.

With EXIT in Switzerland- the 'help' to die properly and quickly, is always given at the person's home- who choose where- bed or favourite armchair. And the treating medical team is never involved- there is NO cross over from your doctor and nurses, and the 'deed'- none whatsover. You have to show that you are compos mentis on interview day, and again on THE day- and fully aware of what you are doing is permanent and irreversible. All taped, tape given to police straight after. NO possibility of slippery slope, undue influence or push ...

I am a fighter, and a joyful optimist too - but with Alzheimers- there is NO fighting that can be done, and no happy outcome- ever- as I have seen so many times. And every time I thought- THIS is something I never want to experience to inflict of my loved ones- never. After many discussions- they all agree this is my/our choice, and respect this.

Bossyrossy Wed 11-Dec-19 12:56:40

It was brilliant in so many ways. Hope Glenda gets an award for her performance, she was outstanding.

Jane10 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:29:01

Very well written and acted programme. Such a difficult condition and how it affects families. sad

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:32:59

Yes, so hope she gets an award for this amazing, moving, performance.

She does look older than her age, probably because she is so thin.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Dec-19 14:32:41

I m glad you’re sorted and you’re family all in agreement with you jura My own personal take is that we have to accept what’s given we have no choice being born and for me and it’s all personal I will have no choice in how and when I go I nursed my Nan for three years with Alzheimer’s and then my mum had it for over seven I m very very aware of how it plays out and very aware I m next in line I m ever optimistic it may miss me out, fingers crossed, but I ll have to accept what comes along as I would not have the ability or money to go to Switzerland and wouldn’t even if I had we each have our line of acceptance and hats off to you and your family for making that decision, I can’t

Flossieturner Wed 11-Dec-19 15:11:46

Every Actor gave a first class performance. My award would go to the lady who played the daughter. The love, the tears, frustration and anger was so finely portrayed.

Dinahmo Wed 11-Dec-19 17:01:06

I couldn't finish the book and certainly couldn't watch the film. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her early fifties and thirty odd years later I'm unable to watch anything with a character suffering from dementia without crying.

Greenfinch Wed 11-Dec-19 17:19:43

I understand that Dinahmo.My niece was diagnosed with early onset dementia in her thirties(Picks Disease).Now aged 40 she is bed ridden and incontinent and needs to be fed. It is very very sad especially for her parents.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Dec-19 17:29:47

My friends father committed suicide in one of his lucid episodes ?