Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Miriam Margoyles dress!

(79 Posts)
phoenix Fri 10-Jan-20 23:11:31

Evening all, good wishes.

Just (while channel hopping before bed) and seen Miriam Margoyles on Graham Norton.

She was wearing the same dress as on The Last Leg, and some other programme that I can't remember.

It's good to not waste money and also not buy stuff you don't really need, but in light of recent threads on "old person" smell, let's hope she's given it a good airing between each wear!

Callistemon Fri 10-Jan-20 23:20:37

Were her legs covered?
I remember her on the real Marigold Hotel and her dress was very short.

phoenix Fri 10-Jan-20 23:24:20

She does seem to prefer to adopt a legs apart stance!

Nana3 Sat 11-Jan-20 00:26:23

Her legs were not covered and her dress was riding up.

Calendargirl Sat 11-Jan-20 07:01:43

She is very short of course, and rather rotund, I get the impression she doesn’t give a jot about how she looks. She had a bit of a makeover on some programme, looked quite different, but I think it’s a bit of a defensive “Take me as you find me” attitude.

NanKate Sat 11-Jan-20 07:16:06

I think she is great and is so funny. I saw her on a programme in the US where she visited a women’s prison she was great and listened carefully to the women and showed great compassion.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jan-20 08:14:06

I like her ‘don’t give a monkeys attitude’ and think she has done some very thoughtful interviewing but oh dear what she wears does nothing but embellish her little and largeness she really dresses so inappropriately for her size I think she’s saying ‘this is me say and think what the xxxx you want I couldn’t give a hoot
Got to admire that

Deedaa Sat 11-Jan-20 20:26:22

She gave a talk at our library and was lovely.

tanith Sat 11-Jan-20 20:34:12

I caught up with the Graham Norton show tonight she sure has no dress sense but she is so funny she’s forgiven, had me and the rest of the guests in stitches she has no boundaries ?

SirChenjin Sat 11-Jan-20 23:19:43

Am I the only one who finds her really, really irritating? I know her persona is ‘posh old lady who says shocking things - oops, norty!!!!!‘ but it’s not really funny and in many cases it’s just offensive imo.

Chestnut Sat 11-Jan-20 23:24:01

I agree SirChenjin. She is one of those people who just likes to shock everyone with her outspoken and usually very gross remarks. She can be very funny but she always turns the conversation to something lewd and inappropriate. Is it an attention-seeking strategy?

Callistemon Sat 11-Jan-20 23:24:14

Her constant farting in the Real Marigold Hotel put me off her.
She can be amusing but some of her humour is the convent schoolgirl type which most of us grew out of by about age 14 or 15.

Nico97 Sat 11-Jan-20 23:24:42

I'm with you SirC on this one. I find her quite offensive at times.

pinkquartz Sat 11-Jan-20 23:29:40

I am a similar shape to her and also I love her her openness and bluntness.
I don't mind her dress, she is an individual.

I doubt she smells. I am sure she does laundry.

SirChenjin Sat 11-Jan-20 23:33:28

Phew - glad it’s not just me! She gets away with saying things that many other celebrities or actors just wouldn’t, especially those who are younger or not as posh - questioning people about their sexuality, claiming she doesn’t meet black people, making fun of someone’s accent, meeting people for the first time who are inviting her into their home and telling them she’s just farted on their doorstep, saying there’s no Jews left in Lithuania, talking about someone masturbating in a tree over her - and these are just some of the ones I can remember. Not funny in the slightest.

NfkDumpling Sun 12-Jan-20 07:09:07

I used to find her funny and liked her attitude a lot, but I feel that now she's making an effort to shock and be outrageous. It's not as natural, seems calculated and is often nasty.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 07:54:03

I agree nfkdumpling I think she’s having to invent more and more inappropriate things to shock and keep up her image When she talks seriously she is a very very erudite clever caring woman but she’s is trying much to hard I liked her off the wall attitude but lately she just goes way too far to keep it up and to shock Where has she left to go I find the constant reference to farting very off putting She is definitely a marmite character and she doesn’t give a damn

Chestnut Sun 12-Jan-20 09:14:10

She even directly asked the men on Graham's couch whether they had a foreskin, proceeded to talk about it in a very personal and inappropriate way and then interrogated one about his sexuality. She is an embarrassment.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Jan-20 09:28:37

I know - I realise it’s for the shock value, but come on. I though Alan Cummings dealt with her mockery of his Scottish accent very well, but he seemed irritated by her throughout and rightly so.

SirChenjin Sun 12-Jan-20 09:29:11

Cumming

Ginny42 Sun 12-Jan-20 09:59:24

I can't be doing with her, as my mother would have said. She says some gross things and expects people to take it or leave it.

I recall my GM in old age using totally inappropriate language she'd never used previously, then pretending she didn't know the meaning.

A woman with Margoles' experience should realise her language is sometimes puerile and on occasions offensive and racist. If she's doing it to shock it's disrespectful as it shows she doesn't care about the feelings of others. I turned the Norton show off as the conversation was vile. If she cannot control those banal thoughts as expressed on that show, I'd say she has a problem.

The dress? Well it was a mess, but that's up to her if that's how she chooses to appear, but she should stop behaving like a teenager trying to be clever by using shocking language.

eazybee Sun 12-Jan-20 10:02:35

With regard to wearing the same dress I recall Yvette Cooper had a phase of wearing the same dress over and over; it was a smart M & S dress, a black stripey knit, but after the first few outings it didn't wear very well, bobbly and baggy.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 10:38:57

Whereas Yvette Cooper speaks sense and is never embarrassingly inappropriate!

Harris27 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:41:50

Embarrassing and inappropriate think she does the ‘ shock thing’ to gain attention. She’s good in the midwife though.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 10:49:59

But I am glad she's leaving CTM, Jenny Agutter has been sidelined in favour of her.
Good riddance.