Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Saturday night TV just awful

(109 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 11-Jan-20 20:01:35

Started off watching The Greatest Dancer but had to stop. I couldn't bear that thing they do where you can hear what the audience and the panel are saying to each other during the performance. I then began watching The Masked Singer but Davina McCall was unbearable on it. So over the top! Saturday night viewing has just gone down the pan - it's so banal it's just dire. Thank God for Netflix!

Gfplux Sun 26-Jan-20 19:50:18

Wisting on Chanel 4 is the only good thing on a Saturday. Shame it finished this weekend. Hoping for another “skandy” type show to start next week.

Dollymac Sat 25-Jan-20 23:08:50

Saturday night TV, really is the worst...
I've just watched the Downton Abbey film, it was rather disappointing

Ellianne Sat 25-Jan-20 23:02:38

Oh yes Ealdemodor the Channel 5 history stuff is brilliant. Tonight was interesting, all about Bethnal Green, (my work stomping ground), during the war. And occupation in The Channel Isles.
I think Casualty is quite good at the moment with its treatment of Duffy's dementia.
Now we are watching SKY news and its review of tomorrow's papers.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Jan-20 22:45:51

Saturday nights a good night for me Liking Masked Singer a lot totally crazy but that’s ok then a bit of the Voice before casualty That ll do I think it’s a Thursday that has literally nothing for me

Ealdemodor Sat 25-Jan-20 21:27:56

I do like some rubbish on a Saturday night, and I’m loving The Masked Singer, while my husband pretends to hate it!
However, the other side of me, the history geek, has recorded the Ch. 5 stuff.
Happy viewing!

Oopsminty Sat 25-Jan-20 21:19:31

We are watching the box set of Call the Midwife.

Never realised it was my thing until my eldest daughter insisted I try it

She was right

Can't get enough of it!

Juliet27 Sat 25-Jan-20 21:18:48

I’ve watched a programme on the Hawaiian Islands, Michael Portillo on a train journey through Alaska and now Bone Detectives. An interesting evening of tv for me!

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 25-Jan-20 21:11:53

We’ve just watched an episode of Inspector Montalbano recorded over Christmas. It says a lot about the state of Saturday night TV when a ham-acted cop drama in Italian with subtitles is miles better.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 20:21:13

The Masked Singer has got us hooked.

Michael Ball
Charlotte Church
Jane Macdonald
Dunno
Dunno
Dunno
Dunno
Dunno

In no particular order. grin

jenpax Thu 16-Jan-20 10:38:19

Yes I do agree Chestnut I like Doc Martin and often watch old episodes on catch up; yes I also have Netflix so there are things to watch there. however it’s the basic premise that annoys me that the main channels have regarding putting on boring game shows or talent shows both of which I hate

Blinko Thu 16-Jan-20 10:16:35

Saturday night is when we catch up on programmes in the week which were all on at the same time.

Some evenings there are two or even three things we want to watch all at prime time. I agree Saturdays are useless.

Chestnut Wed 15-Jan-20 15:40:25

Agreed jenpax but luckily most people can record things, so if you look through the channels there is always something on another channel on another night. Drama channel shows old series you might have missed, so does ITV3. I enjoyed Doc Martin, George Gently and Judge John Deed that way which I never saw when they were on years ago. You might also find an excellent old movie on Talking Pictures or Film4. That is, if you don't have Netflix! If you look carefully there is plenty of choice without relying on the main TV channels.

jenpax Wed 15-Jan-20 13:04:48

I do wish programme schedulers would remember that not every one is out on Saturday nights! Those of us with small children or in ill health are going to be tied to the house and yet still would like something decent to watch on a Saturday night!

Craftycat Mon 13-Jan-20 11:32:41

Football on main stream TV on a Saturday night!!!! There are so many Sports channels it could go on.
Luckily I was at a riotous Hen Night so had a great evening!!

Callistemon Mon 13-Jan-20 11:16:14

Oh, the video shop - I remember it well.

We had two in our small town, Nana3!

M0nica Mon 13-Jan-20 08:30:36

But hasn't Saturday night television always been awful?

As long as I can remember, we have always said on Saturday evening. No point in turning the television on, it's Saturday.

Sara65 Mon 13-Jan-20 07:29:00

the masked singer! Honestly, it just gets more and more ridiculous!

Having said that, we all used to sit around and watch Noels House Party, and that was pretty stupid, maybe Saturday night is the night they put all their rubbish on, assuming everyone is out enjoying themselves.

Nana3 Mon 13-Jan-20 07:04:17

Totally agree Happygirl79 and Callistemon. Years ago when dc's were small (must be about 40, ye gods) and there was no chance of going out we used to go to the video shop on Saturdays for a film.

Yehbutnobut Sun 12-Jan-20 22:25:22

Lots of other good programmes especially dramas on during week so we record these and watch them on poor tv nights.

Must say the complete insanity of the Masked Singer is drawing me in.

Jennist Sun 12-Jan-20 19:42:59

I definitely agree about Saturday's TV.
I am waiting for Montalbano and other European delights.
I often catch Lisa Tarbuck on radio 2 - absolutely bonkers- I love her!!

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 19:41:47

They think that everyone is out enjoying themselves so they just don't bother.

Happygirl79 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:27:08

Saturday night TV has always been rubbish
Its the worst TV night of the week by far
I too use Netflix and Amazon prime and get really annoyed to have to pay for my TV licence to the BBC. They dont invest the money in enough good dramas for us

glammagran Sun 12-Jan-20 19:27:04

Yve1 the back episodes of Wisting are available on iPlayer.

Sawsage2 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:19:30

Yes tele is rubbish. Just play dvds.

Alexander05 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:21:05

I agree Saturday night tv is awful but we watched Julia Bradbury walking in Iceland. Very entertaining