Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Maggie Cole

(73 Posts)
Dollymac Wed 04-Mar-20 22:53:23

Did you watch it, what did you think ?
I'm afraid that I turned it off after twenty minutes. ..

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:06:10

I remembered it part way through so watched some of it.

I think I can see the theme now - after the initial shocks, everyone's lives will improve for the better.

hmm

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:06:36

Was that Mothecombe beach?

Jomarie Thu 12-Mar-20 16:38:31

I'm enjoying it !! Some excellent characters/actors in this and whilst DF maybe a tad irritating (as she is in most things imo) I am happy to ignore her and enjoy the others especially the daughter in law - husband and son are believable too.
Location and scenery brilliant grin

Ellianne Thu 12-Mar-20 16:51:36

Oh dear, I must have forgotten to watch it. Will have to catch up. This is where repeat discussions on GN are so helpful!! Thank you.

catladyuk Thu 12-Mar-20 17:00:12

Thank you Gransnetters! I have recorded it, but haven't watched yet, and due to most comments here, don't think I will bother. I will then have time to catch up on the last series of Last Tango in Halifax!!

Atqui Fri 20-Mar-20 22:32:51

The beach looks like mothecombe to me, and Maggie and hubbies house in Newton Ferrers opposit Noss I think.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:19:05

Yes, it is Mothecombe I think.

Brings back many happy memories

Atqui Sat 21-Mar-20 12:57:17

We go there frequently. I’m thinking we’d better get down there for a walk before even that is banned. Such a beautiful uplifting place out of season.

Calendargirl Wed 01-Apr-20 22:00:12

Just watched another daft episode, why I don’t know.
Absolute twaddle.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 22:01:29

Yes, but escapism too.

I think the DIL is great and Mark Heap is always good.

fatgran57 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:53:41

Haven't had this series yet in Australia but I loved Dawn French (and Alfred Molina) in " Roger and Val Have Just Got In" two series and very good.

ginny Thu 02-Apr-20 10:21:51

I’m enjoying it. Easy watching twaddle is what I need right now.

Toadinthehole Thu 02-Apr-20 10:39:27

We’ve watched two....or is it three episodes? Can’t remember. It all rolls into one! We tape it, then if there’s absolutely nothing else, we’re tired, but don’t want to go to bed yet....a bit of mindless drivel is just what we need. It’s usually my husband to be fair, who encourages me. My reaction is normally “ do we have to watch this?” We do! He’s certain it’ll get better! Me, not so sure. Dawn is a good comedienne, but useless actress. The others are better, but Julie Hedmondslagh will always be “ Hayley “ from Corrie. I expect we’ll keep going. At least it’s lighthearted.

Atqui Thu 02-Apr-20 14:24:57

I agree ginny

Chestnut Thu 02-Apr-20 15:05:55

I must disagree because DF is doing very well in this part. Her comedic skills always peep out underneath her comments which is good because it is meant to be humorous. Mark Heap is wonderfully bemused and the daughter in law is such a wise old owl despite her youth. It's keeping me entertained and cheering me up with the nice scenery, so what's not to like.
catladyuk - I recommend it during these gloomy days!

merlotgran Wed 08-Apr-20 22:57:55

I nearly gave up after the first episode but have been watching it on iPlayer. So glad I stuck with it because apart from the cheesy scenes at the end I think it's been really good.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 23:18:51

I'm glad I stuck with it as well.
She's still very annoying but I liked the way her daughter-in-law handles her.

The stroll across the beach at the end brought back happy memories too!

ginny Thu 09-Apr-20 08:11:01

I enjoyed it. Loved the daughter in law.

Teetime Thu 09-Apr-20 10:23:20

Well I watched but really dont know what it was about.

harrysgran Thu 09-Apr-20 11:19:03

Scenery was best thing about it boring drawn out story line

Calendargirl Sat 11-Apr-20 20:07:12

Just watched last episode.

What a load of drivel, as teetime said, really don’t know what the whole story was about.

Please, please let there never be series two!

Elrel Sat 11-Apr-20 23:09:18

I’d enjoy a second series. Just hoping there won’t be a third series of Liar!