Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

How are we going to cope without The Archers?

(205 Posts)
Kate54 Fri 01-May-20 19:01:41

Maybe it’s the lockdown but The Archers has become very important to me! The news that we’ll be ‘treated’ to re-runs of past storylines for the next three weeks or so is very bad news indeed, particularly as the inevitable disaster of the Philip/Kirsty nuptials has yet to unfold.
Except there won’t be any nuptials, will there?!
I think I know Philip’s true (evil, obviously) character will be revealed - as it surely must, please God - but do any of you have any ideas? I know a lot of you couldn’t care less but humour those of us who do!

phoenix Tue 25-Aug-20 13:54:19

The storyline in looking forward to is the one concerning Philip and the slave labour!

Galaxy Tue 25-Aug-20 14:05:46

Alice quit her job before she was fired and has a drink problem
Adam had an accident on the tractor and Alice is filling in for him at home farm.
Linda is getting better but still struggling with back pain and upset she cant do things she used to. I am not telling you about the failed sex scene.
Fallon is needing to make cuts as the tea room is losing money and completely inexplicably helen is refusing to maintain the rent freeze/cut. Talk of Emma loosing her job but may have avoided that.
Emma chair of flower and produce committee, wanting to do show virtually, she seems to be gaining confidence despite returning to dreary Ed.
Susan has a radio show and keeps telling Neil's sex secrets or getting drunk on air - I think this is supposed to be comedy.
Brookfield is too boring to mention
Brian is being quite helpful with regard to the farm and adam
Adam and ian have realised they will need childcare for Xander.
Tim oatey was arrested by the dynamic Harrison for fly tipping after a sting operation led by joy who was irritated as Tim had conned her into giving him rubbish which ended up in Brookfield land which resulted in her having a tedious lecture from david.
I have put my own spin on it but I think that's most of it grin.
Have I forgotten anyone?

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 14:16:04

In a nutshell Galaxy! grin

Greeneyedgirl Tue 25-Aug-20 15:06:02

Galaxy that is superkind of you. I knew if I turned my back I would miss something really memorable - sex scene with Linda.....mind aboggling now. I guess I will have to stifle boredom & listen again for odd gems. What about Kirsty & Philip, has he been found out yet??

Galaxy Tue 25-Aug-20 16:21:08

The sex scene didnt happen because robert isnt ready. So you dont need to worry grin.There hasn't been a lot about Philip, I think kirsty mentioned he was grumpy and then she had a virtual hen night and it was all ok. I am astounded I can remember any of this.
I have quite enjoyed the Alice storylines and it really weeds out who can act - linda emma brian and debbie have been convincing I think.

LullyDully Tue 25-Aug-20 19:41:12

And a BBC man said that most people have enjoyed the monologuess and there are only a few people unhappy..........oh really?

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 20:12:44

Really LullyDully? Only a few? They're deluded!

shysal Wed 26-Aug-20 10:18:27

I can't remember where I saw it, but I read an apology from the BBC regarding the monologues! They had had many complaints.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Aug-20 10:56:30

This was in the Times earlier this week:

Listeners unimpressed by a stream of monologues in The Archers have won an apology from the controller of Radio 4.
The BBC station was deluged with complaints about the new format, which was adopted in the lockdown to comply with social-distancing guidelines. The extended soliloquies that replaced the cut-and-thrust of Ambridge rural life have been dismissed as “dreary” by many long-term fans, some of whom called for the drama to be suspended until normal service could be resumed.

Can't access any more of it because it's behind a pay wall.

NfkDumpling Wed 26-Aug-20 11:05:30

I haven't got around to complaining to the Beeb yet, I'm still trying to frame the wording. Can't they use Zoom or something?

Kate54 Wed 26-Aug-20 13:20:47

Galaxy don’t forget Ed, who came to alcoholic Alice’s rescue and got sacked for his trouble because she made a mistake with the oats and barley or was it wheat?
As for the ‘sex scene’, the opinion in this house was that in ‘normal’ Archers world, there would never in a million years be anything like that involving Robert and Linda.
I think they’re holding back the Philip plot line for when/if things return to normal. That was rhe plan, apparently - to hold back the juiciest stuff.
Get a move on, BBC!

Polly99 Tue 15-Sep-20 20:51:07

Just to flag up to those who have given up on the Archers. Things have definitely improved lately with up to three characters in a scene together and the Philip/Gavin story is being developed. Worth listening to for fans.

LullyDully Wed 16-Sep-20 08:10:05

We have had a hearty reminder that Philip is a baddy. They have finally admitted Alice has a drink problem. I am surprised no one else in the family has suspected it before.
The Archers is warming up a bit but needs a bit more. I could have done without the tales of Linda and Robert imo.
Keep going BBC , we may be back to something resembling normality by Christmas.

Kate54 Wed 16-Sep-20 09:26:39

Thanks for the update. We’d given up listening, mostly because we were away a lot, but listened last night and was impressed. Gavin suddenly looks like the good guy! Now we just need it back on six nights a week ..... think we can start feeling very sorry for Kirsty indeed!

merlotgran Wed 16-Sep-20 19:20:58

What a shame Susan never had a chance to interview Dominic Cummings. grin

Bikerhiker Mon 21-Sep-20 23:56:55

I think it is getting back on track. Kirsty and Phil are going to be a good storyline. Come on BBC. You can do it!

shysal Tue 22-Sep-20 07:40:16

I am getting back into it now. Loved the Alice bombshell!

Kate54 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:01:03

Things definitely improving, Now how about returning to full time?!

merlotgran Tue 22-Sep-20 09:44:13

Susan is fast becoming my favourite character. Never thought I'd be saying that. grin

Elrel Mon 28-Sep-20 02:12:06

Lindy and Robert seem back on form. Susan is beginning to sound as if she should have her own 6:30 comedy sit com. Gavin and Alice are in an interesting friendship.
I really want to see a picture of the rustic metal bird table and hanging baskets!

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Sep-20 08:00:57

I'd like to see the bird table in particular!

Did anyone hear the actor who plays Ed on Clare Balding's Ramblings? He sounds a lovely bloke and he described the problems of remote recording.

LullyDully Mon 28-Sep-20 08:15:41

And Friday and Sunday evenings too please BBC. I miss them a lot.

LullyDully Mon 28-Sep-20 08:19:15

Maybe with Alice's pregnancy they will deal with foetal alcohol syndrome. She has been very drunk throughout her early months. It is bound to have some affect.

shysal Mon 28-Sep-20 09:19:27

I haven't listened to Ramblings for years. I must look it up and have a listen to 'Ed' and set the series to record.

I wonder whether Alice will go through with the termination. If she doesn't then I agree that they will cover the drinking in pregnancy topic.

LullyDully Thu 01-Oct-20 16:52:54

Lillian was particularly unhelpful to Alice, encouraging her to drink. Stupid woman.