Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another Real Marigold Hotel.

(140 Posts)
Daddima Mon 04-May-20 14:02:13

Just saw yesterday that there’s a new series, and, with the exception of the cricket commentator and the actress from Coronation Street, I had heard of them all!
Britt Ekland should have stayed away from the plastic surgeons, but they seem quite interesting.

Grannynannywanny Thu 21-May-20 23:04:32

Just watched this evening’s episode. Sorry to see Zandra heading home.

Anyone else detected a few uncomfortable glances between Barbara and Britt at Zandra’s final dinner?

Britt appeared to make an entrance and barge in to sit beside Zandra. Barbara left her seat and moved to the other side of the table to make room for her but looked rather uncomfortable.

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 07:41:00

No, I didn’t notice it, but am sure you’re right. Britt has to be the star of the show. I think the dance was far more difficult and complicated for an elderly person than she had anticipated.

Duncan dropped the biggest hints tonight that he is not up for any dalliance with Britt!

My heart went out to gentle, likeable Chuckle chap, hoping in vain to find a solution for his swollen leg. Obviously a very private matter up to now.

Of all the RMH series so far, this bunch come across as the most normal, down to earth, ordinary celebrities so far.

Urmstongran Fri 22-May-20 08:07:03

Britt honestly thinks she is an actor. Poor lady is living in la-la land! She is full of herself but admits to being vain which I find sweet really (although irritating if I had to spend too long in her company). Self obsessed like many clebs.

I love Barbara. I could definitely spend time with her. She is a calming presence.

Zandra was so attractive wasn’t she on those posters? Her hair was less pink and suited her better. She is such a jolly lady. Nice she has stayed friends for all those years with the lady who has the tapestry business.

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 09:27:06

I have just watched the latest episode on catch up and really enjoyed it.
I agree with all that's been said about Britt - she is so deluded about how important she is. My husband caught a glimpse of her (he wasn't watching with me but came into the room) and he actually shudderd at her appearance. But in her defence it must be so awful to be so beautiful when you are young and to know that you aren't beautiful any more (and she does know because she said about her failed plastic surgery ops).
It was very brave of Barry to let the world see his poor leg. Once again it made me realise that we never know what other people are dealing with in their lives. I so wanted the doctor to be able to cure it for him sad.
I am also sad that Zandra had to go home - I will miss her.
Yes it's a great programme and I was happy to get up this morning to watch it smile

Puzzler61 Fri 22-May-20 09:38:21

Susie seemed to really enjoy her birthday didn’t she? ?

Poor Paul, is there no cure for fluid in legs? I’ve only been aware of it as something that can happen in the heat/ on long bus journeys/ in pregnant women. I ignorantly thought it was a temporary condition.

Britt, without being too unkind, makes me laugh when she isn’t trying to. When she said it was too dark in her room to put makeup on, she came onto the balcony in the light and said “I look like a circus horse” . I was thinking if anything in a circus she resembled a clown . How spiteful I am ?

Blowers continues to be charming. And Barbara.
Zandra is amazing.

As for Duncan, well ..... just that. As my old boss used to say “If I put all the people I like on a bus he wouldn’t be on it”.

EllanVannin Fri 22-May-20 09:40:46

Oh dear I'm beginning not to like the shallow Britt. Not someone who I could make a friend of-----the others are great and it's just unfortunate that Zandra has to leave as she's a great character.
Barbara is such a warm genuine person with no pretence at being someone she isn't.

That poor chap and his swollen leg, good Heavens, well done to him for not letting it stop him from enjoying himself, I admire his spirit. To think I'm moaning to myself at my feet swelling ! Nowhere near as bad as that.

An embarrassing remark from Duncan---he'd probably had a text from his young wife ? He was late sitting to dinner when he said it.

Luckygirl Fri 22-May-20 10:21:09

I was disappointed that the birthday party centred on the needy Britt. I would have liked to hear more of Barbara Dixon singing - she is good at what she does. Better than Britt trying too hard.

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 11:00:39

On a recent Peter Sellars documentary, his housekeeper related how, at his funeral when they were all sitting in the crematorium and the service was about to start, there was a big kerfuffle at the back, and Britt, (one of the ex wives), made a dramatic entrance, glamourously dressed in black and white, and seated herself at the back!

But I bet all eyes were on her.

She looked gorgeous, and said she went to support their daughter.

Also said she still loved him, which I’m sure she did, as he dumped her I think.

Jane10 Fri 22-May-20 11:28:07

But she dined out on her very short marriage to Peter Sellers ever since. She even mentioned it again last night.
It's the editors who choose which clips to show in the programme. I suppose she's 'comedy gold'!

Kalu Fri 22-May-20 11:36:19

Oh, give it a rest Britt! She could easily have introduced the wonderful dancer but no, she had to be on stage. Me,me,me even when it is another’s birthday party.

Sorry that Zandra is having to leave under very sad circumstances.

Jane10 Fri 22-May-20 13:52:42

I do think that if I had a 97 year old partner I might not have committed myself to a month in India...

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-May-20 14:00:46

I read an article earlier that he’d died in June. It didn’t mention whether Zandra made it home in time

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 16:57:33

Zandra did say her partner had been at deaths door for three years so she probably needed a break. She seemed to have acquired loads more fabric and clothing so hope she brought a few extra suitcases. She was a lot more down to earth than I expected but had some odd lipstick choices with her bright pink hair.

Britt is totally bonkers. What current acting career does she keep referring to? Is it all in her mind?

Paul’s leg looked painful. I don’t suppose they had lymphodemia clinics when he first hurt his leg.

Enjoying the others - lovely how the locals are so thrilled with Blowers though he’s obviously been beating himself up for the mistake he made though I’m not sure what it actually was.

One of my favourite programmes. Fascinating to see how some characters are just as you would expect and others totally different.

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 17:55:13

If you go on the bbc web site - put in The Real Marigold Hotel - and click on the photo of the celebrities and then click on celebrity residents each one has done a Q and A regarding their experience.
I found it very interesting!

Kandinsky Fri 22-May-20 18:03:08

Britt is very ‘me me me’ but if she wasn’t there it would be a bit boring.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-May-20 18:12:57

Can one feel sorry for a BOND GIRL?
Well I did when she talked about the work she had had done.
I think that I thought that she thought she looked good. Obviously she doesn’t.
How sad.

Eloethan Fri 22-May-20 18:57:37

I'm really enjoying this series and I love the current location - Pudicherry. I've never particularly hankered after going to India but after reading a book called "A House in Pondicherry" by Lee Langley I've often thought I'd like to go there. My favourite book of hers is called "Changes of Address", is also set in India, and is partly autobiographical.

The celebs in this series are very relatable and mostly likeable. I agree that Britt Ekland is rather self-absorbed but I think she recognises that in herself and, apart from that little irritation, I think she's OK. I too felt sorry for the Chuckle brother who seemed so disappointed that the doctor could only reiterate what he'd already been told by British doctors. Douglas Bannatyne is OK but a bit stern. The cricket chap seems fun and it was quite sad when he talked about the "howler" which led to him retiring.

So far, it has been very interesting and entertaining.

Babs758 Sat 23-May-20 11:47:11

Best series of this yet! My husband, who is not watching, but who keeps finding excuses to come into the sitting room, says he was surprised by Pudicherry and how nice it was. I have always wanted to go to India.

Duncan’s admission about how he had previously thought India “dangerous” was interesting. Also his insistence to the poor beleaguered cakemaker re the spelling of Susie’s name. He is obviously used to being in charge.

Zandrah is great and sorry to see her go. I bet her show biz stories are brilliant but she doesn’t feel the need to show off. Susie’s birthday dress was gorgeous and really suited her.

Calendargirl Sat 23-May-20 12:03:09

Re the cake.

How typical for a bunch of blokes to go and buy a birthday cake or cakes, thoughtful gesture notwithstanding, but not have a clue how old the recipient was or how to spell her name.

?

Daddima Sat 23-May-20 12:18:35

I agree that this is the best group yet, and I actually looked to see if Zandra’s husband had died ( he had). I love Barbara, but I suspect a lot of bits featuring her may not have been included, as Britt and Zandra have been more ‘ flamboyant’!
I’m loving Blowers, but I also loved Stanley when he was on, and was disappointed at some newspaper reports’ reaches for pinch of salt quotes from him.
Duncan’s speech is a wee bit indistinct sometimes, as if he has suffered a small stroke ( or large Scotch)
Best viewing of the week for me.

Jane10 Sat 23-May-20 13:13:23

Those fabrics and clothes in that shop were wonderful. I'd very happily wear something like Susie's outfit.

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 14:19:37

Susie's kameez looked lovely didn't it Jane10? I have a sari and short kameez that was brought back as a gift from India and the embroidery on it is beautiful. Never worn it but it's nice to have.

Pittcity Sat 23-May-20 18:02:59

I googled too and Susie's birthday is in April. Zandra's partner died in June, so they had a few weeks together.

Puzzler61 Tue 26-May-20 08:42:37

DanniRae after seeing your post I went to the Celeb’s Q&A’s and enjoyed reading them all. Thanks for the tip!

DanniRae Tue 26-May-20 10:10:46

Glad you enjoyed it Puzzler61 smile