Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another Real Marigold Hotel.

(140 Posts)
Daddima Mon 04-May-20 14:02:13

Just saw yesterday that there’s a new series, and, with the exception of the cricket commentator and the actress from Coronation Street, I had heard of them all!
Britt Ekland should have stayed away from the plastic surgeons, but they seem quite interesting.

Calendargirl Thu 28-May-20 21:09:54

How did I not know Britt had been a Bond girl?

?

Thought Duncan’s remark was very ungallant!

50 years ago!

Luckygirl Thu 28-May-20 22:17:27

Can you really believe that Britt kindly left a gift of a picture of herself? - such overwhelming generosity!

I thought Blowers summed it up when he said it must be very hard to be an ageing sex symbol. No such worries for him! grin

Puzzler61 Thu 28-May-20 22:27:21

Britt said she was a solitary person who couldn’t live in a community village for elderly people - is that because she actually thinks she’s not one of them?
Did you see her eyes light up when she met the “attractive young man” (her words) at the Ganges? I think she’s a Cougar.
Paul and Duncan seemed ready to go home tonight.
What an absolutely amazing trip the group have had - and got paid for it.

merlotgran Thu 28-May-20 22:36:45

They didn't really focus on care for the elderly in this series like they have in previous ones.

It was only in tonight's episode that there was a glimpse of retirement living and that was in a stonking rich facility.

Chewbacca Thu 28-May-20 22:37:10

Susie seems to be the one who gained the most from the experience, both spiritually and emotionally. Britt became more boring and self obsessed and appears to have no sense of self recognition; how could she, of all people, accuse Henry of repeating boring anecdotes?

It was a lovely series and I shall miss it.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 23:41:53

We saw a couple at the beginning and have just watched the last episode.
It was very enjoyable but I'd like to have seen more of Barbara than the unutterably boring and self-obsessed Britt Ekland with her distorted trout pout.

merlotgran Thu 28-May-20 23:49:10

I thought Barbara was really boring. She didn't seem to have much to offer. Britt was irritating and self absorbed.

I enjoyed this series but it was a bit bland. Susie was lovely and Blowers entertaining but that was it really.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 23:51:24

Having missed most of the programmes, I didn't realise Barbara was perhaps boring that's why we didn't see much of her.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 00:03:29

I would like to have seen more of Barbara. On last week’s episode a chunk of time was dedicated to Britt dressing up and preparing to join the young man in the traditional dance on Susie’s birthday evening.

Then when Barbara was singing we only heard a few seconds. It all seemed to be edited to have Britt in the forefront and Barbara didn’t get a chance to shine.

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 00:13:02

I do wonder whether, with Britt being so pushy and needing to be centre stage all the time, if Barbara just got pushed into the background. I don't feel as though I know any more about her now than I did before the series began. With Britt carting 50 year old photographs of herself to flash at airport check in desks, plus the ones that she foists bestows as gifts on others, I can imagine that she'd become a royal pain in the ass to someone of a quieter nature.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 00:23:01

I saw Barbara in concert in mid 80’s. A lovely singer and very entertaining.

She had lead parts in Evita and Blood Brothers over the years. She’s still performing and producing albums.

Evie64 Fri 29-May-20 00:30:36

I've loved this entire series. Must admit though, so far, Britt Ekland has been my least favourite celeb. Feel sorry for her in some ways though, I think she's living in the past to a degree and I agree, she should never have agreed to pay to go under the surgeons knife!

Calendargirl Fri 29-May-20 06:43:40

Previous series have made an effort to give the illusion that the participants are genuinely thinking of retiring to these destinations.

This series, although enjoyable, was really just a glorified, upmarket package holiday for celebrity pensioners.

The next series should be a resume of all the previous series, detailing where all the senior citizens are now residing.

I bet none in the places they visited, not on a permanent basis anyhow.

Urmstongran Fri 29-May-20 07:17:14

Ah, when people say ‘we must all meet up’! Great intentions ... come to LA/Portugal/Doncaster. Actually I do think Blowers will be invited and go to Doncaster. He and .... (name escapes me) shared a few Johnnie Walkers together and genuinely got on well.

Britt was her usual self-absorbed self. Photos of herself as a Bond girl ‘very useful’ (eh?) living off past glories. I cringed when she left that signed photo of herself and her hosts must have felt obliged to say they were thrilled!

I like Barbara but agree she didn’t get much of a look-in. We didn’t get to learn anything personal about her so I too feel I know nothing much about her from this programme.

Susie was very emotional wasn’t she? I think she’s holding herself together and relies heavily on her Buddhism to help her cope with life. Something happened her 40y ago she said. She got the most out of the experience. She hoped it would make her less anxious and more brave. It did her good.

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 07:42:12

A former neighbour, an actor, was in a play with Britt Ekland - said she was very sweet but not very good with her lines and rehearsals would go on forever!

I don't watch the programme but she seems to be the 'star' turn hence this revealing recent interview in The Guardian.

Britt Ekland

She's quite self-deprecating about her looks and it's an interesting read. She has a young grandson with a degenerative genetic disease.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 15:12:33

Perhaps nice, normal people like Barbara are considered less entertaining than egocentrics like Britt.
Well, I think the programme makers got that wrong. Britt was tediously boring.

BBbevan Fri 29-May-20 16:07:44

I would have liked more of Barbara. She seems such a nice person. Britt. nooooo

EllanVannin Fri 29-May-20 16:23:33

Britt's one of those people who, if you're not talking about her or gushing over her all the time she's not interested. What an obnoxious character especially on entering into the elderly residence when she hadn't appeared to answer/reply to what Blowers had said. He, on the other hand is a great character.

She wanted the show to be all about her and it spoilt it for me in a way.

Susie is related to the late John Mills and is a cousin of Hayley and Juliet.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 17:35:18

So Susie is related to Muffin the Mule. That is exciting! Why didn't we know that?

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 17:39:03

Muffin the Mule Callistemon? confused

merlotgran Fri 29-May-20 17:40:50

Susie is related to the late John Mills and is a cousin of Hayley and Juliet.

That's interesting Ellan. I can definitely see a resemblance to Juliet, Hayley not so much.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 17:46:23

Susie is the granddaughter of Annette Mills, John Mill's sister.
Annette Mills used to be the partner of Muffin the Mule.

He now lives in my attic.

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 18:28:41

Well! I'll go to the foot of our stairs, I never knew that! I've been and had a Google and, now you've pointed it out, she definitely does have a likeness to Hayley Mills doesn't she!

Sussexborn Fri 29-May-20 18:52:24

I fast forwarded the Brit bits. It lost a lot of impetus once Zandra Rhodes left. Must be difficult finding celebrities who admit they are available for a prolonged period.

They focused so much on Brit that it was only in the last episode that the friendships between the men was shown to have flourished.

Not sure how many Brits actually retire to India unless they have some kind of connection.

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 18:56:54

But in her defence it must be so awful to be so beautiful when you are young and to know that you aren't beautiful any more (and she does know because she said about her failed plastic surgery ops)

I think your probably right DannyRae . People like me who have never been beautiful or even remotely attractive almost accept the “getting old thing” whereas those like Britt are so vain they just can’t see or accept that they’re just like the rest of us now .