Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another Real Marigold Hotel.

(140 Posts)
Daddima Mon 04-May-20 14:02:13

Just saw yesterday that there’s a new series, and, with the exception of the cricket commentator and the actress from Coronation Street, I had heard of them all!
Britt Ekland should have stayed away from the plastic surgeons, but they seem quite interesting.

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 19:23:53

I kind of agree with you gillybob, but even those of us who could never have been described as beautiful in our youth, have, over the years, developed a kindness towards other; an interest in other people and their life stories, and an empathy to how life circumstances impact on people through no fault of their own. All of these are qualities are beyond comparison to conventional beauty. And all of them appear to be qualities that have completely bypassed Britt Ekland. She's self absorbed, selfish and shallow and, with her beauty long gone, there's nothing much left to admire.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 19:57:35

I used to see Hayley Mills sometimes.
Should that be on the famous thread?
Yes, I think Susie is more like Juliet.

I'm sure you don't look remotely like Britt Ekland, gillybob, with her trout pout.
Anyway, I think she is old enough to be your mother.
She's even older than me.

Harris27 Fri 29-May-20 20:05:06

Britt seems to live in the past and can’t move on. She is self obsessed and the constant hanging onto Duncan bannantyne was embarrassing. She even had photos of herself from early days for to sign for people who probably can’t even remember her being a bond girl. Quite sad really the others were brilliant.

Alishka Sat 30-May-20 16:39:11

I completely fell in love with Blowers (or rather his voice) all over again. He and Jonners were the background to my cricket radio listening back in the day.
Would have loved to have had much more of Barbara and much,much less of Brittgrin
My big disappointment, tho, was that posh retirement place they stayed at before they returned. Beige and white characterless place, like all the other beige and white places I've stayed in during my working life. But bet the plumbing worked, thogrin
I'm sorry that Zandra had to return early and flowers for her. Wonderful, creative lady.

Babs758 Mon 01-Jun-20 00:28:06

Was anyone else worried someone would fall into the fast flowing Ganges?!

I loved the series and shame it was only four episodes long. I thought the expensive retirement home was bland and, save for the Himalayan backdrop could have been anywhere.

Blowers was a complete star (loved his deep pink shirt) and Duncan grew on me somewhat to my surprise. The chemistry he had with both Nasty Nick and the Chuckle brother was delightful. I ended up feeling sorry for Britt, she did seem delusional. Would love to visit India but I’m not good in crowded places!

Grannynannywanny Tue 02-Jun-20 17:01:31

Babs758 I wondered if they had to sign a disclaimer before filming which absolved the tv company of any responsibility in the event of an accident.

Those tuk tuk and taxi journeys were hair raising! I was surprised they subjected themselves to it.

grandMattie Tue 02-Jun-20 17:10:33

Babs758 I visited India a couple of years ago, when DS1 was working there, and yes, it is very crowded. I loathe crowds and normally feel very insecure and anxious in them. Curiously, in India, it didn’t affect me at all. People were good natured, curious and helpful on the whole, their personal space virtually nil compared to us.
I would go back in a breath!

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jun-20 17:11:13

Beauty is on the inside I'm afraid, ladies.

grandMattie Tue 02-Jun-20 17:12:00

Ps. The tuktuk journeys were hair raising; I was torn between hysterics of fear and of laughter. The most important thing was the horn!

Grannynannywanny Tue 02-Jun-20 17:31:08

grandMattie did you witness many road accidents during your time there?

My heart was in my mouth watching them all weaving in and out on the overcrowded roads! So many motorcycles with 2 or 3 people on them including small children.

grandMattie Tue 02-Jun-20 18:51:48

Curiously, no. It really was heart in mouth. We also were driven for about 6hours in dense fo. The driver confessed that he sort of tail gated the car in front to stay on the road... but I survived, no heart attack either.

Babs758 Fri 05-Jun-20 16:33:40

Thanks GrandMattie - what a great experience for you :-)

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 16:39:10

Sounds like the holiday of a lifetime grandMattie

Daddima Sat 16-Jan-21 13:46:12

I’ve just found some of these on YouTube, and was watching the Krankies, Sid Little, Susan George, Stanley Johnson,and Selina Scott in India. Some real ‘lump in the throat’ moments, like Sid and Susan remembering their son and husband at the holy river, and Jeanette talking about being married to Ian. I don’t remember seeing that one before, though I do remember thinking that Stanley was quite a pleasant fellow. Not so keen on him now, mind you!