Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Oh God, it's back ?

(125 Posts)
phoenix Wed 17-Jun-20 18:38:32

Bloody football!

Yes, I know some like it, but looking at the tv schedule for the forthcoming Saturday evening, 7.15 to 9.45 on BBC 1 is given over to it, then 10.35 to 11.50! Give me strength!

I suppose one saving grace is that it's not international games, with people (and I use the term lightly) chanting their support for a non existent country called "Engerland".

OurKid1 Wed 17-Jun-20 18:57:01

Oh no! Just no!! Please say it's not true.

phoenix Wed 17-Jun-20 19:06:57

Sorry OurKid1 just had next week's Radio Times delivered, and there it is, in black and white!

bluebirdwsm Wed 17-Jun-20 19:19:18

I'm not happy about this either. There should be a channel dedicated to sport. It should interfere with the main TV channels in the evenings at the weekends.

Ascot and old football matches are already encroaching on afternoon tv this week. Annoying.

bluebirdwsm Wed 17-Jun-20 19:19:59

shouldn't not should

grannyrebel7 Wed 17-Jun-20 19:26:57

Totally agree with you Phoenix - bloody football! It's been so lovely not having to put up with it. Now DH will be watching it all the time. Can't believe it's on nearly every night. Just can't understand why it's so popular! I've had to suffer it all my life - my father loved it, husband, son and now grandson all are obsessed with it. So glad we have two TVs!

silverlining48 Wed 17-Jun-20 19:43:07

Oh dear. Just what we ( don’t) need every day. Lockdown is bad enough without this. A special sports channel is a good idea and would work for us because we woukdnt watch it.

Katyj Wed 17-Jun-20 19:45:13

Yep two matches tonight. DH Sat on the sofa with ear plugs in smile

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jun-20 20:03:40

It goes on for so blooming long!!
Just when the clock crawls slowly to full time, and you think it's all over. Nope.
They add on loads of extra minutes after which we have hours of 'highlights'

My grandson half heartedly insists on watching it, and I let him, because I know he'll only be able to pretend to like it for 15 mins.

brook2704 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:07:02

I agree - It’s been lovely these past few months without the endless chat in our house about football !

SueDonim Wed 17-Jun-20 20:11:45

Oh gawd. That means my mum will be endlessly bending my ear about how much football there is on tv. She’d have wall-to-wall opera, given her choice. hmm

Marydoll Wed 17-Jun-20 20:13:16

I have just been complaining to a friend about this a few moments ago! I totally agree.

That and bloody horse racing, it's back too. I will be living in the conservatory from now on! grin

phoenix Wed 17-Jun-20 20:19:31

Actually, I quite like horse racing blush but we never have the tv on until about 7.30pm, and only have 1 tv.

Other than Christmas, or the occasional Sunday afternoon, it would never occur to me to put the tv on during the day!

CherryCezzy Wed 17-Jun-20 20:21:29

Sorry, a spoiler here. I'm happy it's back.

Iam64 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:21:58

Wot! phoenix how can you be so grumpy about the Footi? Lovely Marcus Rashford and his opposite number on the Blue side of the city doing great community stuff. Plus, they're ace at the beautiful game.
Find something else to watch -well, I've turned it off because it's not my team playing right now. I'm playing out on gransnet instead.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jun-20 20:25:38

I can watch almost any other sport if I have to; darts, curling, women on beaches in skimpy bikinis playing volleyball .
Football?

Nah.

Westcoaster Wed 17-Jun-20 20:28:28

Yes, DH in his element on the couch as I write!!!

Probably the much needed impetus to get me up into my craft room to make a start on the Xmas cards I thought I'd already have made during lock-down but couldn't be bothered. hmm

I have no problem with the watching of his teams games, it's that he just has to see every other teams games too that I really grudge. Drives me mad! angry

Dollymc2 Wed 17-Jun-20 20:38:29

There is a special channel dedicated to sport and it's called Sky Sports
Recently it's been overtaken in here by the overexcited ebullient commentators on Talk Sport
I could literally scream when that is on the radio
We're onto the second match of the evening, super ?

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 20:47:56

We are all supposed to be delighted!

I just phoned DS and he said 'Mum, don't you know what's happening tonight?'!!
It was a very short conversation grin

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 20:49:07

I'd rather watch football than snooker, MissA
Or watching paint dry.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jun-20 20:52:23

I'd have snooker over football.
At least snooker is good background noise for a snooze.

phoenix Wed 17-Jun-20 21:02:21

Humph!

Still hate it, no matter what good works Marcus has achieved. I think part of it is the fans, well, the ones that you see on tv.

Curlywhirly Wed 17-Jun-20 21:11:40

Well that's a bummer! For the first time in our long marriage we have not had a cross word in 12 weeks - all due to no sport on telly during lockdown! Himself will watch absolutely anything relating to sport, which doesn't bother me in the week (we have two lounges, each with a TV, so I can go in the other room), but I do take exception to him watching sport all Saturday night and all day Sunday! However he has recently agreed that weekends should change and he won't watch so much sport, well we will see! I won't hold my breath ???

annsixty Wed 17-Jun-20 21:23:15

My main argument is that my Sky subscription will increase by £25 this month and I don’t even watch the b.....y channel.
My S will be happy but doesn’t offer to pay!!

Welshwife Wed 17-Jun-20 22:22:07

You are all lucky to have had the weeks free of sport! BBC Wales has had not only football matches on but also international rugby!
I have often wondered why they do not show the sport on one channel or even put it on BBC2 sometimes.