Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What are you watching tonight?

(310 Posts)
Esspee Thu 30-Jul-20 15:20:09

I found Lara’s thread very useful and it was very popular so, as Lara hasn’t started a new thread I have.

Any suggestions on what to watch tonight gransnetters?

Esspee Thu 30-Jul-20 16:53:09

Well, let me start.

We have started watching Chesapeake Shores on Netflix.
So far we have enjoyed it very much (a bit different to our normal Scandi noir/Montalbano diet). I would describe it as “wholesome” and my OH agrees. It is not often you get a series that everyone can enjoy.
The main character is a high flying businesswoman in New York who was brought up in Chesapeake shores. She returns with her children for a weekend visit to the family home and the story continues from there.
Have any of you watched it?

shysal Thu 30-Jul-20 17:58:21

I shall be watching Escape to the Chateau Make Do and Mend. I admire their creativity.
I am still a bit behind with Masterchef because it always sends me to sleep, but will try to catch up tonight.

Jennist Thu 30-Jul-20 18:05:41

It's the final episode of Mrs America. It's on catch up too and absolutely riveting!
There are some great documentaries on Sky especially about the founder of Fox news, Roger Aisles and other scary people.

Fennel Thu 30-Jul-20 18:18:19

I usually end up watching Mantalbano replays. But my next one is where Fazio goes missing shock. Too upsetting.
It's a brilliant series.
But I've also got some links to wildlife programmes and this
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03skbx0

tidyskatemum Thu 30-Jul-20 18:54:19

And I thought it was just us who watch Montalbano replays! I look at the evening’s programming for terrestrial tv and most of the time it just makes me shudder. Comedy programmes that aren’t funny, endless game and “reality”( not) shows, misery soaps, “celebs” I’ve near heard of etc etc. Once we’ve got past Antiques Road Show, the odd documentary and assorted country programmes we’re back to Montalbano.

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 19:16:07

Might watch new series of New Amsterdam on prime.

TerriBull Thu 30-Jul-20 19:56:55

I believe there is a brand new "Escape to the Chateau" on in a few minutes, I'll be watching that!

Bellanonna Thu 30-Jul-20 20:49:35

I’m bingeing on the original Montalbano now that the Young Montalbano has finished. I always enjoy it despite having watched some episodes x3.

MiniMoon Thu 30-Jul-20 21:22:50

I've found myself hooked on Glow Up; Britain's next make up star on BBC 2. I've never been interested in make up, but I'm finding this fascinating.

Peardrop50 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:33:33

Espee we enjoyed Chesapeake Shores on Netflix too, lovely story of love, joy, angst with no swearing, vomiting, shouting, shooting, car chases, just plain good gentle tv.
We also enjoyed White Collar, different but fun.
Chateau was good tonight, we love Angel and Dick, they're so creative and happy.
Have recorded Mrs America, thanks for the recommendation Jennist.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 21:34:26

It's DGD's job, MiniMoon She works at Pinewood studios although there's not much going on at the moment so she's been doing a course in period wig making. Her lecturer made the wigs for Poldark and The Vikings.

It's amazing what they can do.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 21:37:22

I'm watching Dick and Angel Strawbridge on catch up. I loved Escape to the Chateau.

Esspee Sun 02-Aug-20 13:09:13

We are still on Chesapeake Shores and starting to find it cheesy and predictable. It is a far cry from our usual dramas (mostly with subtitles).
I don’t like violence and gore (though loved Breaking Bad?) We enjoyed The Good Wife, The Good Fight, Scandi noir, Spiral, the first series of Heist, Designated Survivor etc.

Can anyone recommend other series’s?

Marmight Sun 02-Aug-20 21:12:52

I watched ‘the Proms’ this evening on BBC4, a concert from the 2017 season by the Chineke! Orchestra. Magical. Absolutely sublime. Conducted by Kevin John Edusei. See it on iPlayer

BibiSarah Sun 02-Aug-20 21:19:09

It has to be A Suitable Boy on the BBC even though it's very late where I live and I'm now hours past my bedtime.

Its perfect. The BBC at its best. Just absolutely sumptious.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 03-Aug-20 16:07:37

I'm very much looking forward to Line of Duty (Monday) as I believe that it's the very first series which is getting a rerun. As I only started watching the last series it'll hopefully solve some mysteries.

merlotgran Mon 03-Aug-20 16:43:02

I'm going to watch The Deceived on Channel 5 at 9pm.

I like a psychological thriller and according to the Radio Times preview, there are 'shades of Daphne du Maurier about it.'

BibiSarah Tue 04-Aug-20 05:22:55

I stumbled into a 4 part Drama series on C4 entitled The Virtues. Ive had to fast forward a couple of bits due to how awful they are but this is one of the best TV Dramas Ive ever seen. The acting from Stephen Graham is outstanding. The man is up there with the best of them from all time.

Calendargirl Tue 04-Aug-20 06:52:59

I watched The Deceived.

Hmm, not sure.

Far fetched.

Thought it odd that it was such a small funeral, she was a famous novelist, and the grieving widower then nipped off to discuss house repairs with the local builder instead of attending the wake.

And the mistress just rocked up and then stayed overnight the same night, he lent her his dead wife’s clothes, she wandered round the village in her pyjamas, she swiped keys and went in to locked rooms, went on to computers, no need of a password...

Did she sleep with the widower that night, with the dead wife’s mother in the house?

Hardly Du Maurier, more Danielle Steel?

Pittcity Tue 04-Aug-20 08:04:19

Even though I've watched Line of Duty since the beginning I've started watching again and have understood more this time. Such a good programme...new series next year!

shandi6570 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:12:47

I watched Line of Duty last night for the first time and really enjoyed it. Thanks to those who recommended it smile

sodapop Tue 04-Aug-20 12:38:37

Holly City tonight I think. The new episodes are only going to be 40 mins long apparently.

I like New Amsterdam as well Tanith can't get Prime unfortunately.

Jane43 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:58:27

BibiSarah

I stumbled into a 4 part Drama series on C4 entitled The Virtues. Ive had to fast forward a couple of bits due to how awful they are but this is one of the best TV Dramas Ive ever seen. The acting from Stephen Graham is outstanding. The man is up there with the best of them from all time.

He had a nomination for best actor in The Virtues in the recent BAFTAs. He lost out to Jared Harris in Chernobyl. He is a very good and versatile actor.

Esspee Tue 04-Aug-20 13:08:48

They are showing a repeat of Anne - The Princess Royal at 70 this evening. I am mentioning it for the benefit of those who missed it but don't have a catch up facility.