Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

film recommendation

(75 Posts)
minxie Fri 18-Sep-20 09:05:37

Hi,
I need to find something in the comedy/romcom film.
My friend is coming over who needs to chill and chat with a film to half heartedly watch at the same time. Glass in hand,
I just can't face trawling through Netflix or Prime as I have bread to make etc.
So any ideas would be gratefully appreciated

JennyCee Sat 19-Sep-20 11:15:55

Take a tip and trawl through Prime for “Looking For A Friend
At The End Of The World”. It’s really good and funny
Wonderful acting from Steve Carrell (not sure of spelling) and Keira Knightley. Highly recommend it as it’s so entertaining

Jumblygran Sat 19-Sep-20 11:16:28

How about going for an old classic like How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O’Toole or High Society with Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby.

lilydily9 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:18:42

'Something's Gotta Give', Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, funny and poignant. 'A Good Year', Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard, romantic comedy.

I have them on DVD and have watched both more than once!

Phloembundle Sat 19-Sep-20 11:23:34

It's got to be Pretty Woman.

quizqueen Sat 19-Sep-20 11:23:38

The Notebook

halfpint1 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:29:20

Thanks for asking this. I hate scrolling through Netflix for a
film and usually give up so i've jotted down most of these
suggestions and look forward to watching!

Kate1949 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:31:40

I loved Yesterday with Himesh Patel. Nice and gentle.

Rosiewhite1 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:33:10

Definitely Fisherman's Friends. Also The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Both are very heart warming. My favourite is the latter and the book is amazing.

Aepgirl Sat 19-Sep-20 11:43:40

Shall We Dance, Richard Gere . Lovely film.

Craftycat Sat 19-Sep-20 11:59:23

The Greatest Showman. I have lost count of the time I've watched it.
Really uplifting.

sparklingsilver28 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:11:04

Thank you everyone, just what I need and have made a note of many. Must admit, one of my favourites has to be "Mamma Mia" so uplifting and joyous "Mamma Mia 2" also heart warming. When film first released my DGS aged six and eleven years on he is still playing the sound track and singing along.

grannybuy Sat 19-Sep-20 12:49:56

The Wedding Date - funny and moving..

Jane43 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:51:15

Lots of films I had forgotten about such as ‘As Good As It Gets‘ have been mentioned as well as ones I haven’t seen and I have made a note of them as we need heart-warming things to cheer us up in the weeks and months ahead.

chimes22 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:55:02

Can anyone explain how a film title on Netflix is listed but I am unable to watch.It just gives me similar titles

Bijou Sat 19-Sep-20 13:16:45

If you speak French or don’t mind subtitles. Jean de Florette and Manon des .Sourses, Le Gloire de Mon Pere.

Fisherman’s Friend..

susieq3 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:18:06

What about Bridget Jones diary.

123kitty Sat 19-Sep-20 13:37:57

Check your friend hasn't already seen the film you choose

Davida1968 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:40:56

Another romantic film is: "All that Heaven Allows" starring Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson. (Made in 1955.) About a romance between an "older" (widowed) woman and a "younger" man. (Her family disapproves!) Lovely, if you enjoy old films.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 19-Sep-20 13:45:58

I agree with most of the choices here, except Mamma Mia and Pretty Woman which I find cringey.
My absolute favourite is the French film Untouchable based on a true story about a wealthy paraplegic who hires an illegal immigrant as his carer. It's funny and heartwarming but is subtitled so not a film to half watch while chatting, it deserves your full attention.

fevertree Sat 19-Sep-20 14:03:45

Someone has already mentioned My Octopus Teacher. It blew my mind. The film maker was a top cameraman on Blue Planet so the filming is incredible. But apart from that, it is a human story, uplifting. Truly amazing. Nominated for many awards.

I found this great film tucked away on Netflix (rom-com): How Do You Know starring Reece Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Jack Nicholson.

lizzypopbottle Sat 19-Sep-20 14:39:37

The Mask. It's hilarious.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 19-Sep-20 14:42:44

My Feral Heart. Heartwarming, an insight into the abilities of a young man with Down syndrome and how he is accepted.

Kim19 Sat 19-Sep-20 15:03:42

Ancient but light and fun......Doris Day 'Young at heart'. 'Roman holiday' Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck. Quite wonderful (still). 'Jack &Sarah' Richard E Grant, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen. Terrific. Thanks to all contributions. I've a list now which fills me with glee. Just love light and bright with a happy ending. Yippee!

minxie Sat 19-Sep-20 15:04:05

A fisherman’s friend was great as was As good as it gets. Plus I now have to watch all the others as well. Thanks everyone

gardener Sat 19-Sep-20 16:04:05

Untouchable... a really entertaining feel good movie....
in French with subtitles.