Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

film recommendation

(75 Posts)
minxie Fri 18-Sep-20 09:05:37

Hi,
I need to find something in the comedy/romcom film.
My friend is coming over who needs to chill and chat with a film to half heartedly watch at the same time. Glass in hand,
I just can't face trawling through Netflix or Prime as I have bread to make etc.
So any ideas would be gratefully appreciated

Shandy3 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:19:06

Chimes22
It's because it is a film title and may have featured or may in te future feature on Netflix.
Film titles don't mean they actually have that film available at that time.
I feel if people look up a film may times they must know and therefore are more likely to have it in the future.

Spangler Sat 19-Sep-20 16:26:48

Swing Time, with Fred & Ginger, if only for this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmut0FMoK9E

Granless Sat 19-Sep-20 16:54:01

..... hope you have a bread making machine - wouldn’t be without mine.

Harris27 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:55:22

Lived quartet and fisherman’s friends watched that twice. And the potato peel literary one fab.

jerseygirl Sat 19-Sep-20 17:13:10

Bridesmaids, brilliant hilarious film, especially for the girls!!

Sawsage2 Sat 19-Sep-20 17:20:28

The Revernant, Leo Di Caprio. On widescreen at the cinema. Breathtaking and wonderful scenery.

lolarabbit Sat 19-Sep-20 17:51:02

Hunt for the Wilderpeople with Sam Neill - set in the wilds of New Zealand.

Hymnbook Sat 19-Sep-20 18:53:14

What we did on our holiday. David Tennant Billy Connolly

Ziggy1914 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:39:51

I have 2 films that were recommended to me both true stories they were very moving and really enjoyable to watch Rabbit proof fence and lion both very good films

pollyperkins Sat 19-Sep-20 19:51:30

My favourite is ‘what we did on our holidays. Very funny!!
Hated bridesmaids, sorry. Had to switch it off after about 20 mins.

Mamma7 Sat 19-Sep-20 20:33:06

The Notebook with box of tissues

00mam00 Sat 19-Sep-20 21:00:20

I wish people would say what country they are in. I have just spent ages trying to get a film highly recommended and finally found it us not available in uk on Netflix or Amazon prime, so that’s been a waste of an evening,

Froglady Sat 19-Sep-20 21:19:52

HannahLoisLuke

I agree with most of the choices here, except Mamma Mia and Pretty Woman which I find cringey.
My absolute favourite is the French film Untouchable based on a true story about a wealthy paraplegic who hires an illegal immigrant as his carer. It's funny and heartwarming but is subtitled so not a film to half watch while chatting, it deserves your full attention.

I love the film Untouchable as well.

Froglady Sat 19-Sep-20 21:27:19

I love This Beautiful Fantastic with Andrew Scott, Tom Wilkinson. But I don't know where it's available from. I've seen it on TV.

Margaret2 Sat 19-Sep-20 23:15:20

I am now at an age to really appreciate COCOON.. Its a classic

HiPpyChick57 Sun 20-Sep-20 07:27:47

It’s also a true story Nortsat. It’s about the BGT winner Paul Potts.
It’s a lovely story and James Corden plays him really well.

p1nkpr1ncess Sun 20-Sep-20 15:37:11

My faves are :-
About Time
The Holiday
Love Actually
Although the 2nd two are Christmas ones really!

travelsafar Sun 20-Sep-20 16:31:12

Currently watching 'Someone knows my name' all about a young girl taken from her African village and sold into slavery. Half way through it and I think it is based on true life as there is reference to book called The Book of Negros. It is very interesting and forms part of social history if it is based on a true story.

travelsafar Mon 21-Sep-20 08:38:29

Oooops, Sorry, just realised i should have put this in what are you watching tonight !!!!

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Sep-20 08:41:49

Firmly in the comedy genre, 2018 film “Swimming with Men“. Rob Bryson, Jim Carter and Daniel Mays - it’s a bit like the Full Monty, but with swimming trunks ?

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Sep-20 08:53:03

Pressed too soon, ?
Also a wonderfully gentle and reflective film from 2018 called
“Rory’s Way” with Brian Cox and Suzanna Arquette. Bit of romance, quite a few comical moments and a lovely story of a granddad and wee grandson bonding.

gardenoma Wed 09-Dec-20 07:37:23

The Guardians on Netflix uk, beautifully shot french film with subtitles.
A French farming way of life during the first WW, with its Hardy like seasonal rhythms of sowing and reaping, beautifully portrayed. Also fascinating for anybody who has ever wondered about the old farms which still litter the French countryside and how life was lived in them.

baubles Wed 09-Dec-20 12:18:40

Thanks for all your recommendations, I’ve made a list.

Here’s one I enjoyed - Sometimes Aways Never with Bill Nighy.

Nadateturbe Thu 10-Dec-20 22:54:10

We just watched a very enjoyable film called the Green Book. Based on a true story about a black pianist, Don Shirley, being driven through southern US by his chauffeur. I highly recommend it.