Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Misheard Lyrics - Which are better?

(46 Posts)
clareken Thu 15-Oct-20 07:17:01

Sorry for the length of this post. For a little background, I have only heard this song over the last couple of years, after discovering Pentatonix (well worth a listen!), so not something sung wrong from childhood.

White Winter Hymnal (sorry can't post a link from my work computer, but on YouTube Music,) I am going to post the lyrics I have been singing for this, and then the proper ones. Which do you prefer?

I was following the packhorse
Following the goats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
A metal UFO
And all the lights turned red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

I was following the pack
All swallowed in the coats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
And Michael you would fall
And turn the white snow red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

In my defense, I am moderately to severely deaf, especially in one side, but still. The only reason I can now sing it properly, is that YouTube Music have a lyrics tab underneath the video!

So which is better? I like the image of goats in scarves, but think that they would probably eat them.

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 10:19:11

My DGD would sing baa baa black sheep.....one for the little boy who lives down the lake.
Would not accept “Lane”.

Elegran Thu 15-Oct-20 10:46:01

Was it this one, Grandmattie ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8

GillT57 Thu 15-Oct-20 11:56:29

Hawkwind song 'I've got a silver machine' was always 'I've got a sewing machine' according to my late DM, who did of course have a sewing machine. As a child I used to sing along to Adam Faith's 'Message to Martha'....it was 'Message tomata' according to me.
And the best known is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody 'The devil for a sideboard, for meee, for mee'

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-20 12:06:56

When one of ours was at nursery and they were preparing for their nativity play, he'd always refer to Little Baby Jesus as "Little Baby Cheeses"

gulligranny Fri 23-Oct-20 11:56:01

There was that duet by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers all about working in Scotland: "Highlands Industry" is what I always heard!

Grandmabatty Fri 23-Oct-20 12:39:06

I thought queen were singing about pork sausages too! So glad it isn't just me.

Grannynannywanny Fri 23-Oct-20 13:22:58

Terribull your mention of Nativity play cast me back 35 years ago when my son was 5. The 3 wise men stepped forward with their gifts and individually announced..
I bring you gold
I bring you myrrh
I bring you Frankenstein ?

Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:53:50

Forgive me if I mentioned this before. Pupils at one of the East Lothian schools (possibly Haddington) who travelled by train had a wait on a very cold station in Drem.
For the Lords prayer they used to say “Lead us not into Drem Station”

Ashcombe Fri 23-Oct-20 19:06:06

My son heard the song lyric,

“Stand and deliver, your money or your life!”

and thought that Adam and the Ants were singing,

“Stand in your dinner.....!”

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 19:31:09

My friend at school sang "We're gonna rock down to electrical canoe, and then we'll take it higher!"

nanasam Fri 23-Oct-20 19:39:21

Desmond Decker sung (or so we thought) 'wake up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast....., oooh, ooooh, me ears are alight'

biba70 Fri 23-Oct-20 19:40:47

Could not understand why the Scots would sing about 'old enzymes'

BBbevan Fri 23-Oct-20 19:41:30

A little lad at school sang Harry Hoover for Hallelujah.

grumppa Fri 23-Oct-20 20:18:00

My mother believed for years that Poetry in Motion was A-a Tree in Motion.

Glorybee Fri 23-Oct-20 21:19:04

When singing the Holly and the Ivy in primary school, I used to think there was a holly bear, and he must have been the best bear in the woods as he was ‘the crown’.

Juliet27 Fri 23-Oct-20 21:26:06

A friend used to think the Beach Boys ‘I get around’ was ‘I bob around’

Luckylegs Fri 23-Oct-20 21:31:04

Does the Queen song NOT say “devil for a sideboard, yeh”?

Katek Fri 23-Oct-20 22:47:19

Ds used to sing ‘knock, knock, knocking on Helen’s door’ for Dylan’s Knocking on Heaven’s door.

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 22:54:49

I used to think the Paul Young song 'Every time you go away" ( you take a piece of me with you) Was you take a piece of meat with you!
mrswoo
If this was on the car radio my DC used to chorus 'oh yuk!' Then would follow a gruesome discussion on which bit he'd taken this time ?

JackyB Sat 24-Oct-20 08:00:34

Thanks for that link Elegran, it had me in convulsions. I've seen a couple of those but this one was so funny.. It put the proper words right out of my head. Oh dear, I must get a tissue, it made me laugh so much.