Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I’d like to see that again

(94 Posts)
Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:35:08

Any really old tv series you’d like to see again? I’d like to see the Forsyte Saga

lemsip Fri 23-Oct-20 22:06:04

Peyton Place

Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 22:20:40

Grannybags

The Thorn Birds

And because of Maybe70 When the Boat Comes In

I loved the book but thought Richard Chamberlain was totally miscast as Ralph de Bricassart whi in my view should have been dark haired!

merlotgran Fri 23-Oct-20 22:43:02

Granny23

The one I have never forgotten was Pharic McLaren's 6 part version of Sunset Song, with Vivienne Heilbron as Chris. I remember watching it on Sunday evenings while I was breastfeeding so must have been 1970 or 1973.

Funny how we remember the programmes we were watching while breastfeeding.

Crossroads was one of mine grin

jacq10 Fri 23-Oct-20 22:50:18

Granny23: I just loved Sunset Song. It was in 1971 and I was pregnant with DD. I caught up with the books many years later.

Flutterby1 Fri 23-Oct-20 22:51:25

A Place to call Home. Australian drama.

TwiceAsNice Fri 23-Oct-20 22:55:19

Oh thanks Ilovecheese I’ll check the drama channel out. The other thing I’d love to see again ( don’t think it’s ever been repeated) was a one off drama called Harry’s Game set in Ireland during the troubles . It had a beautiful haunting sounding theme tune.

jacq10 Fri 23-Oct-20 22:56:43

Another Sunday night one I really enjoyed and would love to see again was "Telford's Change". It had a great cast - doubt if I could remember their names now - Hannah Gordon and Peter ?, Keith Barron and a few faces I can remember but not names. Need to stop thinking about how good TV dramas were back then.

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 22:58:59

The Onedin Line would be my choice.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 23:00:55

I was really young I think, when that was on, but i think i can remember lovely music at the start.
Was it lovely?

mokryna Sat 24-Oct-20 00:29:59

Lucca

Grannybags

The Thorn Birds

And because of Maybe70 When the Boat Comes In

I loved the book but thought Richard Chamberlain was totally miscast as Ralph de Bricassart whi in my view should have been dark haired!

Lucca. When I read the Thorn Birds I immediately thought of Richard Chamberlain as Ralph de Bricassart, however I didn’t enjoy the film because I didn’t like Rachel Ward.

Poppyred Sat 24-Oct-20 01:25:16

The Thorn Birds with Bryan Brown....Mmmmm

MayBee70 Sat 24-Oct-20 01:44:27

I remember Richard Chamberlain coming to Birmingham to act in a local theatre. I was quite impressed by that. I loved the book of The Thorn Birds: read it on holiday in Cornwall one year. And the book she wrote after that, but I can’t remember what it was called. The main character was called Missy.

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Oct-20 05:30:46

MiniMoon I loved Northern Exposure too.
I'd love to watch thirty something again.
Also vintage Brookside.

Alima Sat 24-Oct-20 06:00:15

The Four Seasons of Rosie Carr. Often think about that programme, must have made an impression. Just looked up when it was shown, 1964. Sadly it doesn’t look like it was ever released on video etc.

Calendargirl Sat 24-Oct-20 07:10:02

Jacq10

Peter Barkworth?

Calendargirl Sat 24-Oct-20 07:14:45

Series like The Onedin Line, The Forsyte Saga and The Brothers were must-see Sunday night dramas, but if you were to watch them now, sadly their age would show.
The sets would look very wooden, and the speech would be a bit clunky.
Some things are best left to shine in the memory.

craftyone Sat 24-Oct-20 07:16:04

I have the onedin line and tenko on dvd, I also have roots

Dixon of dock green, emergency ward 10

Alima Sat 24-Oct-20 07:18:03

TwiceAsNice, I remember Harry’s Game too. The first time I ever saw Charlie Fairhead. Oops, meant Derek Thompson.

craftyone Sat 24-Oct-20 07:35:51

I never did see northern exposure and have been looking for my christmas dvd treat. I just bought the whole box set for £40 grin Its what I do every year since widowed, I buy myself something nice to watch and this should keep me going all winter grin 36p an hour

NotAGran55 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:54:35

I’m with Jac10 for Telford's Change with a Peter Barkworth .

As a teenager a show I loved was ‘ Take Three Girls’ as I aspired to live with them smile

I would also like to see an episode of Twizzle

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 08:10:06

I liked the Biederbecke affair as well. Does anyone remember The Flame Trees of Thika.

Oopsminty Sat 24-Oct-20 08:22:08

I world like to see Belle and Sebastian again. Children's programme. The most beautiful little boy with an even more beautiful Pyrenean Mountain Dog.

I'd love to know what on earth a small boy, couple of young men, I young woman and a crotchety old man were doing!

They would burst into the shack they lived in, snow billowing in, dark frowny faces

When Sebastian managed to get out and run with the dog in the snow. Well it was lovely. And the theme tune was a beauty

I've just no clue what they were doing living in such circumstances

Oopsminty Sat 24-Oct-20 08:28:26

Here's the theme tune. If there are any French speakers I'd be grateful for a translation!

I've never forgotten this programme.I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time
Here is a very safe YouTube link of the song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlR9JWULEw

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 08:38:32

Already mentioned, the original Brideshead Revisited with Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews, I really loved it.

Also The Thorn Birds, I think I'd read the book beforehand, a great read, but again loved it.

An American series I really liked Rich Man, Poor Man featuring an unknown Nick Nolte seemed to remember thinking that was great at the time, back in the dim and distant '80s.

I liked the series Tenko, set in a female POW camp in the Far East and also on a 2nd World War theme, Family at War.

I'll confess to liking some early Brookside too.

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 08:45:39

and as per the OP, The Forsyte Saga, in flickering black and white, seem to remember there was a more recent one with Damien Lewis taking playing the dastardly Soames.