Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I’d like to see that again

(94 Posts)
Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:35:08

Any really old tv series you’d like to see again? I’d like to see the Forsyte Saga

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 08:52:28

Dribs and drabs, how could I forget this one, Roots, again read Alex Haley's book, quite traumatic and very moving, before I saw the series, both outstanding.

Puzzler61 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:04:34

I remember seeing and enjoying The Flame Trees of Thika sodapop.
Holly Aird played the young girl and Hayley Mills was in it too. I think it was Sunday night peak viewing.
Would like to watch it again.

Curlywhirly Sat 24-Oct-20 09:05:19

Rich Man Poor Man, an American mini series - fell in love with Nick Nolte (who hasn't worn well I must say, but in this series he was young and very rugged!).
Also when I was only about 14 I can vaguely remember watching the serialisation of the book Pere Goriot. Looking back I can't think why in my teenager years I would want to watch it; so would love to see it again to see what was so good about it!
Loved 30 Something, another American mini series, which I watched when I was in my 30s, so no surprises why I liked it.
As a child used to love Gilligan's Island which I thought was soo funny; I manged to watch it a few years ago and it was terrible, really corny and not at all funny ☹ But the best series of all from my childhood, The Beverley Hillbillies, has stood the test of time; it was repeated many years ago and I am glad to say is still a classic and I found it every bit as funny as it was.

Iam64 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:25:55

The West Wing
and we can, it's on Four

mumofmadboys Sat 24-Oct-20 09:27:58

The Brothers

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 09:44:50

Oopsminty

Here's the theme tune. If there are any French speakers I'd be grateful for a translation!

I've never forgotten this programme.I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time
Here is a very safe YouTube link of the song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlR9JWULEw

If you google belle et Sebastian theme song lyrics you will see it and click translate to English. Voilà!

Alima Sat 24-Oct-20 10:16:01

Danger UXB. It was on around the same time as Flame Trees of Thicka, watched loads of TV at that time as DH was in Norway for several months.

mary51 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:55:48

Opsminty I loved that programme and the tune. There was also one about white horses in the Camargue with a lovely theme tune.

Alima Danger UXB is shown on on Talking Pictures once a year. It has been on this summer. If you want to see Enemy at the Door real drama about the German occupation of Guernsey its on Sunday night on TP. We watched it first time round.

Another really old series which I do not remember at all the first time is Public Eye again on Talking Pictures Thursday night. Brilliant acting and real stories. Would like to see Jewel in the Crown again as I just re-read one of the books from a lockdown phone box library.

Jane43 Sat 24-Oct-20 23:20:46

Our Friends In The North was one of our favourites. It established the careers of Daniel Craig, Christopher Eccleston, Gina McKee and Mark Strong.

I also loved The Forsyte Saga, the version with Susan Hampshire and The Onedin Line.

pensionpat Sun 25-Oct-20 00:14:04

We have all of When the Boat Comes in on our shelves. We watch fairly regularly even though the production is dated. I love Jack Ford. I believe it can be found on You Tube.

Oopsminty Sun 25-Oct-20 00:20:15

Thank you Lucca! No idea why I hadn't thought of that

And yes, Mary51, such a pretty song. I also loved the Robinson Crusoe theme music.

I shall now own up to my guilty pleasure.

El Dorado

I loved it! I was very sad when Alam Yentob arrived at the BBC and binned it!

I did have young babies at the time which may explain my strange taste in programmes.

DillytheGardener Sun 25-Oct-20 00:21:55

The Love Boat, silly escapism

sharon103 Sun 25-Oct-20 00:59:13

Oopsminty
I used to watch El Dorado. Just you and me perhaps grin

Did anyone used to watch' Houseparty' it used to be on ITV at lunchtime most days of the week. There used to be ladies chatting then the doorbell rang and another lady came in. There was Cherry Marshal and her daughter, and Jean. Carol Ladbury who was usually making something on her sewing machine, Sylvia Marshall and a few others.
My mum and I loved it. I wish they would show them all again.

Tangerine Sun 25-Oct-20 01:05:06

The Ginger Tree

The Dirtwater Dynasty

Jimmy Clitheroe

MayBee70 Sun 25-Oct-20 01:10:24

Oopsminty

Here's the theme tune. If there are any French speakers I'd be grateful for a translation!

I've never forgotten this programme.I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time
Here is a very safe YouTube link of the song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlR9JWULEw

That’s beautiful!

Jane43 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:28:58

Going back to my teenage years, we all used to look forward to Rawhide with a very young Clint Eastwood and 77 Sunset Strip with Edd Byrnes. Then there was Maverick with a very handsome, young James Garner.

TerriBull Sun 25-Oct-20 11:17:54

Yes forgot Our Friends in the North as mentioned by Jane, that was a brilliant series, I don't think anyone knew who Daniel Craig was when it was launched.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Oct-20 11:27:11

My mom absolutely loved Our Friends in the North - I've never seen it, but would love to.
Does anyone remember The Cedar Tree? I used to watch it when I went 'home for dinner' in the 70s.

NannyJan53 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:31:31

Comedies

The Likely Lads
Ever Decreasing Circles
Watching

Grandma70s Sun 25-Oct-20 11:32:01

My sons recently sent me DVDs of old comedies I used to like, so I have Bread, Sorry!, Hinge and Bracket, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Hi-de-Hi, Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Bread has 74 episodes, and Hi-de-Hi went on a long time, too, so there is plenty to keep me going and cheer me up.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Oct-20 11:34:07

Grandma70s do you ever listen to BBC Radio 4 extra? I think it would be right up your street.
I love it.

Grandma70s Sun 25-Oct-20 11:38:15

I don’t listen to nearly enough radio, FannyCornforth - must try.

I’ve got The Good Life, too, but not Ever Deceasing Circles, must get that. There was a couple in our road exactly like Howard and Hilda.

Lynnieg Sun 25-Oct-20 11:39:05

Talking Pictures will be showing the original Upstairs Downstairs from Sunday 29th November. I can highly recommend Enemy at the Door which is on every Sunday at 9pm.
FannyCornforth Lots of people on TPTV Facebook group asking for The Cedar Tree so fingers crossed! smile

Jane43 Sun 25-Oct-20 15:00:05

FannyCornforth

My mom absolutely loved Our Friends in the North - I've never seen it, but would love to.
Does anyone remember The Cedar Tree? I used to watch it when I went 'home for dinner' in the 70s.

I believe Our Friends In The North is on BritBox. Perhaps somebody who subscribes to this could confirm. I believe there is a free trial for a month, We are thinking of getting it if Covid restrictions increase.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Oct-20 14:33:14

Grandma70s 'At Home with Hinge & Brackett' is on Radio 4 Extra this evening at 8.30 smile