Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All creatures great and small

(36 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 23-Dec-20 07:58:37

Oh wow anyone wanting a dose of Christmas i highly recommend last night's episode. It left me feeling all warm and cosy and full of nostalgia. The gathering on Xmas Eve, the Midnight mass, birth of puppies, the festive fare, roaring fires and board games, and of course the wedding. Go on indulge yourself. smile

merlotgran Wed 23-Dec-20 08:28:37

Er......Wedding?

Ellianne Wed 23-Dec-20 08:29:23

Oh travelsafar, it was positively delightful! Everything you mentioned was portrayed so gently. You're right about feeling all warm and cosy.
Don't forget the lovely children and the donkey too!

grannyrebel7 Wed 23-Dec-20 08:52:34

Oh I absolutely loved it. The scene with the puppies being born was so moving. It's the best thing I've seen on TV for ages, so well written and acted. The characterisation is perfect too and dare I say it, better than the original series. Roll on the new series that'sall I can say.

sodapop Wed 23-Dec-20 09:03:14

I enjoyed it as well, sometimes we just need something sentimental and cosy. I loved the puppies too grannyrebel

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:03:26

Delightful escapism, definitely worth watching.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Dec-20 09:07:47

OH, who is Mr Grinch to a tee this year, absolutely loved it! Fortunately we recorded it and started watching from around 9.40 pm so we could skip the adverts.

Kamiso Wed 23-Dec-20 09:14:35

OH started off with his newspaper firmly blocking his view of the screen but gradually it came down.

I was unsure about remaking a new series but it’s been excellent and some much needed light relief.

Redhead56 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:25:25

We love it as it’s so heart warming and lifts your spirit. I really enjoyed the original series too.

chelseababy Wed 23-Dec-20 09:27:26

I'm saving it for Christmas day before Call the Midwife!

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Dec-20 09:39:58

Loved it, a really enjoyable, gentle watch.

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:00:01

I've not read the comments above in case they're negative. I've recorded the Christmas special as I'm looking forward to it so much and was too tired to appreciate it last night. I loved the new series.

Kate1949 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:02:06

I loved it. Just what we need at the moment.

Lewie Wed 23-Dec-20 10:03:31

We've recorded it so looking forward to seeing it later, especially as one of our friends is actually in it (not a starring role - an extra!)

DanniRae Wed 23-Dec-20 10:07:57

We loved it too tchsmile

JessK Wed 23-Dec-20 10:29:52

Haven't watched it yet but certainly plan to as the whole series has been very good.

Blinko Wed 23-Dec-20 10:30:30

Yep, we loved it. There seems to be an opening for further episodes... Yippee! It's a brilliant remake, imo. Wonderful acting, beautiful scenery, just grand!

threexnanny Wed 23-Dec-20 10:36:46

Very enjoyable but less true to the original stories than the previous series.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 10:59:17

We enjoyed it too but I wish we'd recorded it so that we could skip through the awful adverts (which I know paid for it!).

I won't post any spoilers
tchsmile

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:06:42

I saw it and enjoyed the previous episode but it was a bit saccarin for me. Much better than gloom and doom though. I may even start to enjoy musicals soon as a refuge from the news. smile

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 20:43:02

Just seen it. Loved it. I like all the characters.
Just a thought though. My family lived in houses broadly like Skeldale. No central heating. It was always imperative in Winter to 'keep the heat in' so it felt odd to me to have so many doors open at the same time and the front door gaping so often. I know it was a party but even so.
The decor and furnishings took me back. Comfortable viewing.

Eloethan Wed 23-Dec-20 23:28:48

I didn't think I would like the re-make but I think it's even better than the original. Last night's was great.

Roswell Sat 26-Dec-20 09:58:39

Really enjoyed it. We had recorded it and watched it on Christmas night as, apart from Call the Midwife, there was nothing else worth watching. Pleased to hear there will be a new series.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Dec-20 10:02:08

Another fan here - lovely programme.

SPOILER ALERT
I loved the ending - it could have been over-dramatised with them falling into each others arms, but it was very subtle and beautifully done. Awww - a bit of romance for Christmas. smile

Harris27 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:06:35

Best bit of telly so far this Christmas.