Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All creatures great and small

(37 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 23-Dec-20 07:58:37

Oh wow anyone wanting a dose of Christmas i highly recommend last night's episode. It left me feeling all warm and cosy and full of nostalgia. The gathering on Xmas Eve, the Midnight mass, birth of puppies, the festive fare, roaring fires and board games, and of course the wedding. Go on indulge yourself. smile

MayBee70 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:20:08

Another SPOILER ALERT..
....how did they film with those puppies that were obviously newborn’sh? The first one I saw I said that’s not a puppy it’s a guinea pig, but puppies they were.

Alioop Sat 26-Dec-20 13:03:40

Kept it to watch on Xmas Day and so glad I did as rubbish on. What a lovely programme, just love it.

Ashcombe Sat 26-Dec-20 13:06:52

A lovely episode, indeed! Realistic and heartwarming.

Deedaa Sat 26-Dec-20 13:46:31

The puppies were gorgeous! Who wouldn't love Border Collies. Do wish they hadn't strayed so far from the original stories though. They've really not kept much more than the names.

Sueki44 Sat 26-Dec-20 15:57:24

At least James has a Scots accent, which is more than Christopher Timothy ever had!
Very unflattering wedding dress though. I’m not in favour of dresses that show acres of bosom and bare skin but Helen’s dress was like a shroud.

Floradora9 Sat 26-Dec-20 16:27:27

Sorry I am in a minority but I think it is so far from the real thing . How could Alf's chldren allow them to take such liberties with their mother's role in this ? Mrs Hall is so wrong a housekeeper would not have gone shopping with her boss . They would have had groceries delivered. I am a great fan of the original books and this makes me cringe. Seigfried said something was " nuanced " this was a word never heard at that time . All so neatly rounded off life is not loike that sadly .

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 16:48:19

The characters are based on the real Alf and Joan Wight, and
are modelled on them but the books are only partial autobiographies.
The characters and stories were loosely based on real people and events.

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 17:02:28

It's just a drama not a documentary. I'm glad they've taken the basics and expanded far beyond the original books. It's a bit like Call the Midwife in that respect.

Smurf44 Sun 27-Dec-20 22:42:11

We thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas All Creatures too. I was a big fan of the original and thought a remake was probably a mistake, but I was wrong. The new series is different but still very enjoyable. The new Mrs Hall is very well played, though maybe not as believable as the original, but I’m definitely warming to her as her character develops. I hope the new series arrives early in the New Year.

merlotgran Sun 27-Dec-20 22:54:39

These days it's expected to have a strong, no nonsense female character in any drama or reality programme about Yorkshire, - hence the elevation of Mrs. Hall.

My late Yorkshire mother in law would approve!

Floradora9 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:56:42

Callistemon I have read his son's biography of Alf so I know what really happened . A few instances of not sticking to the real story is fine but to me it is so wrong apart from the young man who plays James Herriot he comes over very well .