Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All creatures great and small

(37 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 23-Dec-20 07:58:37

Oh wow anyone wanting a dose of Christmas i highly recommend last night's episode. It left me feeling all warm and cosy and full of nostalgia. The gathering on Xmas Eve, the Midnight mass, birth of puppies, the festive fare, roaring fires and board games, and of course the wedding. Go on indulge yourself. smile

Floradora9 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:56:42

Callistemon I have read his son's biography of Alf so I know what really happened . A few instances of not sticking to the real story is fine but to me it is so wrong apart from the young man who plays James Herriot he comes over very well .

merlotgran Sun 27-Dec-20 22:54:39

These days it's expected to have a strong, no nonsense female character in any drama or reality programme about Yorkshire, - hence the elevation of Mrs. Hall.

My late Yorkshire mother in law would approve!

Smurf44 Sun 27-Dec-20 22:42:11

We thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas All Creatures too. I was a big fan of the original and thought a remake was probably a mistake, but I was wrong. The new series is different but still very enjoyable. The new Mrs Hall is very well played, though maybe not as believable as the original, but I’m definitely warming to her as her character develops. I hope the new series arrives early in the New Year.

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 17:02:28

It's just a drama not a documentary. I'm glad they've taken the basics and expanded far beyond the original books. It's a bit like Call the Midwife in that respect.

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 16:48:19

The characters are based on the real Alf and Joan Wight, and
are modelled on them but the books are only partial autobiographies.
The characters and stories were loosely based on real people and events.

Floradora9 Sat 26-Dec-20 16:27:27

Sorry I am in a minority but I think it is so far from the real thing . How could Alf's chldren allow them to take such liberties with their mother's role in this ? Mrs Hall is so wrong a housekeeper would not have gone shopping with her boss . They would have had groceries delivered. I am a great fan of the original books and this makes me cringe. Seigfried said something was " nuanced " this was a word never heard at that time . All so neatly rounded off life is not loike that sadly .

Sueki44 Sat 26-Dec-20 15:57:24

At least James has a Scots accent, which is more than Christopher Timothy ever had!
Very unflattering wedding dress though. I’m not in favour of dresses that show acres of bosom and bare skin but Helen’s dress was like a shroud.

Deedaa Sat 26-Dec-20 13:46:31

The puppies were gorgeous! Who wouldn't love Border Collies. Do wish they hadn't strayed so far from the original stories though. They've really not kept much more than the names.

Ashcombe Sat 26-Dec-20 13:06:52

A lovely episode, indeed! Realistic and heartwarming.

Alioop Sat 26-Dec-20 13:03:40

Kept it to watch on Xmas Day and so glad I did as rubbish on. What a lovely programme, just love it.

MayBee70 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:20:08

Another SPOILER ALERT..
....how did they film with those puppies that were obviously newborn’sh? The first one I saw I said that’s not a puppy it’s a guinea pig, but puppies they were.

Harris27 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:06:35

Best bit of telly so far this Christmas.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Dec-20 10:02:08

Another fan here - lovely programme.

SPOILER ALERT
I loved the ending - it could have been over-dramatised with them falling into each others arms, but it was very subtle and beautifully done. Awww - a bit of romance for Christmas. smile

Roswell Sat 26-Dec-20 09:58:39

Really enjoyed it. We had recorded it and watched it on Christmas night as, apart from Call the Midwife, there was nothing else worth watching. Pleased to hear there will be a new series.

Eloethan Wed 23-Dec-20 23:28:48

I didn't think I would like the re-make but I think it's even better than the original. Last night's was great.

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 20:43:02

Just seen it. Loved it. I like all the characters.
Just a thought though. My family lived in houses broadly like Skeldale. No central heating. It was always imperative in Winter to 'keep the heat in' so it felt odd to me to have so many doors open at the same time and the front door gaping so often. I know it was a party but even so.
The decor and furnishings took me back. Comfortable viewing.

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:06:42

I saw it and enjoyed the previous episode but it was a bit saccarin for me. Much better than gloom and doom though. I may even start to enjoy musicals soon as a refuge from the news. smile

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 10:59:17

We enjoyed it too but I wish we'd recorded it so that we could skip through the awful adverts (which I know paid for it!).

I won't post any spoilers
tchsmile

threexnanny Wed 23-Dec-20 10:36:46

Very enjoyable but less true to the original stories than the previous series.

Blinko Wed 23-Dec-20 10:30:30

Yep, we loved it. There seems to be an opening for further episodes... Yippee! It's a brilliant remake, imo. Wonderful acting, beautiful scenery, just grand!

JessK Wed 23-Dec-20 10:29:52

Haven't watched it yet but certainly plan to as the whole series has been very good.

DanniRae Wed 23-Dec-20 10:07:57

We loved it too tchsmile

Lewie Wed 23-Dec-20 10:03:31

We've recorded it so looking forward to seeing it later, especially as one of our friends is actually in it (not a starring role - an extra!)

Kate1949 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:02:06

I loved it. Just what we need at the moment.

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:00:01

I've not read the comments above in case they're negative. I've recorded the Christmas special as I'm looking forward to it so much and was too tired to appreciate it last night. I loved the new series.