Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Casualty

(29 Posts)
Franbern Sun 03-Jan-21 09:00:11

Suppose there is an old thread on this Soap. But nothing for a long time, and I feel that the really great one-off episode they did last night deserved to be commented on.

It is a new era for this long running soap - think that last nights brilliant episode was one of their greatest and will be shown many, many times over the next few years.

Excellent writing, direction and acting - it was a great tribute to the hospital workers who remained in post throughout this Pandemic and the worker who died from this Pandemic was not a nurse or a Doctor - but an administrator!!!! They also serve.

Did have me in tears, but - somehow, that was a good release from me - as I had been trying to hold those back these last few days, and this gave me the excuse to let them out. WELL DONE BBC,

cornergran Sun 03-Jan-21 09:21:21

There were tears her too Franbern. No idea how close it was to reality but certainly well acted in the main and food for thought.

tanith Sun 03-Jan-21 09:30:47

Thoroughly agree, if it was a true portrayal of how things really are I’m even more in awe of NHS staff. I too was in tears at the loss of such a wonderful long serving character, the acting was wonderful well done to everyone involved.

biba70 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:36:13

Harrowing.

Genty Sun 03-Jan-21 10:01:30

A very upsetting episode, seeing the reality of Covid brought me to tears. sad

Sarahmob Sun 03-Jan-21 10:04:47

I found it so painful to watch. Knowing that whilst it was a fictional drama it was painfully true for us all as we live with the curse that is COVID. A highly emotive piece of television.

Teacheranne Sun 03-Jan-21 10:06:07

I’m another one who cried at the end, one of the best episodes I’ve seen - and I reckon I’ve watched them all over the years,

Ellianne Sun 03-Jan-21 10:08:49

Very, very well done.
I wanted to tell myself that it wasn't real life, but sadly it is.

Lucca Sun 03-Jan-21 10:11:30

Glad they didn’t pull any punches. It managed to avoid the cheesiness of the dialogue that so often creeps into casualty and Holly. (I still watch though....)

Sar53 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:31:20

I too shed a tear at the end, Noel was such a big part of the Casualty team. A great, if sobering episode.

Auntieflo Sun 03-Jan-21 10:39:04

I started to watch this, but just couldn't stay with it as the acting is awful. Sorry.

Cabbie21 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:47:23

It should be compulsory viewing, especially younger people who resent all the restrictions.

gillgran Sun 03-Jan-21 10:56:25

I, too, found it very moving. Although upsetting, I couldn't stop watching.
Didn't help my sleeping last night.
Casualty is a programme I have followed for years.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:58:56

Franbern Noel was not an administrator- he was a Casualty receptionist. A vast difference in work and salary.

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 11:02:13

Perhaps I should have watched more than five minutes but I found myself getting annoyed because I assumed A&E departments were kept as Covid-free as possible to deal with other emergencies which are still happening.

If you want realism watch
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j7wf

grannyrebel7 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:06:48

I watched it too. So upsetting and I thought the acting was superb. Well done BBC for this portrayl of such a devastating situation. I'm trying not to moan about anything now after watching that.

Franbern Sun 03-Jan-21 11:13:38

Charleygirl*, think you are nitpicking about receptionists not being adminstrators. Many, many administrators are on very low salary scales (2 & 3). If you are not a 'clinical' worker, then you are likely to be an administrator.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:41:17

Franbern you are so wrong but I do not intend having an argument.

Sparklefizz Sun 03-Jan-21 11:45:41

All those protesters shouting "Covid is a hoax" outside a London hospital that is battling and being over run with Covid patients ought to be forced to watch it. I would also force Piers Corbyn who is inciting a lot of trouble.

rockgran Sun 03-Jan-21 11:54:44

I had hoped to watch it but was put off by the shaky camera style and gave up. It looked as if it was going to be very depressing though. I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Jan-21 12:33:55

rockgran it was. It is also not realistic seeing Connie a consultant either weeping in a corner or tears streaming down her face when supposedly working.

I found it depressing and if it continues like that each week I will not be watching.

biba70 Sun 03-Jan-21 12:38:47

This is a recent message from a niece who works in South Africa ''We are so short staffed because doctors are either scared to come help or they feel insulted by the salaries government pays. It’s reached the point where we have to decide who gets the oxygen or not. It’s become a regular occurrence where the nurse comes to tell us another one stopped breathing... please come certify. We are having to palliative a lot of the elderly as we do not have the resources to escalate their treatment. It’s a case of numbing oneself to the horror unfolding so that we can welcome the next patient with a smile and a good dose of kindness. ''

Knittynatter Sun 03-Jan-21 12:39:08

It was an amazing episode. Bravo to everyone involved. Tears here too.
(I am low salary scale nhs and not an administrator. In my area ‘vaccinators’ are being recruited on a low salary scale which is outrageous considering how many ‘vaccination managers’ are also being recruited on much higher scales)

Casdon Sun 03-Jan-21 12:51:13

A hospital manager did die in Cardiff in the first phase, they may have taken that sad event as a storyline. Many administrative and managerial staff of all grades have been affected as well unfortunately, they are an integral part of all clinical teams.

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 13:24:34

Well, if something has happened to Noel I don't want to watch it. I remember seeing him shopping in Bristol years ago, he was smiley and friendly.
sad